• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATAVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMCK

Hi,

I’m aware there are plenty of posts regarding the ATAVT assessments, however I’m looking for more tailored answers.

I’ve purchased the practice software for £25 which is fantastic material to utilise, however when I sit a mock exam on there I seem to only be managing between 5-7 out of 10. I seem to be struggling with this a little- can anybody advise on what method you used to help improve your scores for this test as this is the one I’m most concerned with.

I’m aware the pass marks for these are unknown to many but I wouldn’t be happy going in on the day knowing I may only manage 5 out of 10.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taylor

I struggled with the software but passed the real thing. The practice software is harder than the actual test so don't panic. Try shutting your eyes after the image disappears and see the image in your head. Don't overthink things and stress yourself out.

OneLowban

I didn’t practice for this using any software or anything, but in the actual test I scanned each quadrant of the image for ~0.25 seconds and it helped. Sometimes things you see don’t register straight away.

oida89

Hi,

I’m aware there are plenty of posts regarding the ATAVT assessments, however I’m looking for more tailored answers.

I’ve purchased the practice software for £25 which is fantastic material to utilise, however when I sit a mock exam on there I seem to only be managing between 5-7 out of 10. I seem to be struggling with this a little- can anybody advise on what method you used to help improve your scores for this test as this is the one I’m most concerned with.

I’m aware the pass marks for these are unknown to many but I wouldn’t be happy going in on the day knowing I may only manage 5 out of 10.

Many thanks in advance.

You're competing against Humans, not a Computer, when you site the test: you've just got to do better than the other humans.

And as you've practised, you probably will do better than the other humans if you have the innate skill.

GMCK

Cheers chaps.

Some sound advice there. I’m getting worked up as I’m trying to spot all the subjects in all the photos, but oida89 you make a good comment about competing against other humans on the day itself and not the computer.

crebbs1

I guarantee that not one person walks out of the computer test room and thinks ‘I’ve nailed that’.

DunfordBridge

Just wondered if anyone, who has taken the ATAVT test recently, could remember how many photos there are in the test. I was also wondering if the photos depicted Austrian traffic scenes, rather than UK traffic scenes, bearing in mind the test was devised by an Austrian company.

With traffic lights in the UK, it is a given that most of time, there well be a road sign near by. Can anyone comment if this is the case with Austrian traffic lights, it is a while since I drove there? I know in the Netherlands, they have traffic lights and road signs together on overhead half-gantries. I was also curious if all the road features are in the foreground or if you have to scan the background.

Any feedback would be welcome!

Dave19801980

I think there are 10....but I could be wrong with that.

As far as I can tell they are pics of street scenes in and around Vienna.....which i’ve been lucky enough to see in real life as I was a tour coach driver before this.

It’s not a given that a traffic light has any sign with it....but there is a good chance there will be one. Streetview on google maps can help.

The pics can have a cyclist or pedestrian etc in the background so my only advice is to ‘squint’ at the screen when the pic comes up....ie stare at the centre of the screen but don’t sit too close to the monitor so your eyes can catch the full image.

Then if possible....close/open your eyes between each pic to give them a chance to re-focus.....plus moving your whole body slightly backward/forward can help with this.....a bit like when you’re staring at the grey/black square on the white background in the other test.

Applepie356

If I had to take this test again, I’d probably fail it. When I did it I felt like I was guessing most of the time so I was pleasantly surprised to hear I passed!

DunfordBridge

I think there are 10....but I could be wrong with that.

As far as I can tell they are pics of street scenes in and around Vienna.....which i’ve been lucky enough to see in real life as I was a tour coach driver before this.

It’s not a given that a traffic light has any sign with it....but there is a good chance there will be one. Streetview on google maps can help.

The pics can have a cyclist or pedestrian etc in the background so my only advice is to ‘squint’ at the screen when the pic comes up....ie stare at the centre of the screen but don’t sit too close to the monitor so your eyes can catch the full image.

Then if possible....close/open your eyes between each pic to give them a chance to re-focus.....plus moving your whole body slightly backward/forward can help with this.....a bit like when you’re staring at the grey/black square on the white background in the other test.

I have a vast collection of traffic photos from around the UK, Scandinavia, the Netherlands and a handful from Germany. I have even driven around Innsbruck but never Vienna. Think I shall take you up on your idea to go on Streetview.

Nevergiveup

I did that today, there was 25+ photos I managed to pass that and 2 hand test but failed on Vigilance
Just wondered if anyone, who has taken the ATAVT test recently, could remember how many photos there are in the test. I was also wondering if the photos depicted Austrian traffic scenes, rather than UK traffic scenes, bearing in mind the test was devised by an Austrian company.

With traffic lights in the UK, it is a given that most of time, there well be a road sign near by. Can anyone comment if this is the case with Austrian traffic lights, it is a while since I drove there? I know in the Netherlands, they have traffic lights and road signs together on overhead half-gantries. I was also curious if all the road features are in the foreground or if you have to scan the background.

Any feedback would be welcome!

mad1976cam

When I practiced I just used street view on google maps, picked a junction somewhere, started looking for 10 secs then close laptop, then 7 secs, 5secs..... until I was always getting 100%

AshDee

When I practiced I just used street view on google maps, picked a junction somewhere, started looking for 10 secs then close laptop, then 7 secs, 5secs..... until I was always getting 100%
Thanks I’ll give this method as go difficult to find good practice material

Status
Not open for further replies.