• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Attention tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyhobbs

Hi

I'm practising for the trainee train driver test with great northern.
Does the group bourdon tests have dots or letters, my practise paper is letters. Should I download the dots tests and why would they not send me these if needed.
I'm guessing I should just stick to the practise papers they have given me.
Any advice on what others are doing would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

donpoku

Is the bourdon, i also did it with great northern.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Sotac464

It's the dots test with every toc I believe. Use the software available on here to practice the dots. They are a lot smaller than what you will encounter on the day, but if you master that, you'll have no problems.

Last edited:

PhoenixBC

Hi there Gary, I'm going through the practice material as well, I booked the 15/06 for assessment. Do the tests seem as daunting for you as it is for me? certainly a lot to do.

As far as I'm aware, the GB test is done on paper. I downloaded the tool from this forum and have printed many copies to practice on.

Anyone know exactly how many sheets and how long for each one?

Sotac464

5 sheets and you get 2 min's on each one. On the day it's really not as bad as you think it's going to be. Found that test easier than the dfft, which was hard.

Garyhobbs

Hi there Gary, I'm going through the practice material as well, I booked the 15/06 for assessment. Do the tests seem as daunting for you as it is for me? certainly a lot to do.

As far as I'm aware, the GB test is done on paper. I downloaded the tool from this forum and have printed many copies to practice on.

Anyone know exactly how many sheets and how long for each one?

Hi, yeah a bit overwhelming to start with but i have been through all the samples, think i will download the bourdon software from this site.
I might see if i can find more DFFT samples if anyone knows where to get them would be handy.
My assesment is on the 18th July, lots of practising ahead.

Garyhobbs

I printed off the GB 5 pages, I managed between 8-9 lines on average no mistakes.
I then started from the bottom of the page managed about the same with 2 missed.

Keep practising.

PhoenixBC

That's the way to do it mate. I've been told that on the day they are much bigger and in boxes like a grid.
I've been timing myself 10 mins a time and averaging 11-12 lines with 2-3 mistakes.
Gonna try slowing down a bit as I'm not sure that 1400-1500 cells is really necessary on the day. I'd say 9-10 lines would be more than sufficient, just don't rush it is the key I think.:D

vintagegt

That's the way to do it mate. I've been told that on the day they are much bigger and in boxes like a grid.
I've been timing myself 10 mins a time and averaging 11-12 lines with 2-3 mistakes.
Gonna try slowing down a bit as I'm not sure that 1400-1500 cells is really necessary on the day. I'd say 9-10 lines would be more than sufficient, just don't rush it is the key I think.:D

Guys, just a tip. I don't wish to doubt anyone else's experience, but in my own experience the dots certainly weren't bigger on the day so I wouldn't rely on it being any easier on the day of your test.

George999

Just to hopefully put people's minds at rest, the group bordon test is a lot easier on paper than on the computer. Keep practicing the computer version and you'll be fine on the day of assessments.

PhoenixBC

Really, so it's like the prints from the gb tool? someone mentioned them being a lot bigger than the print from here and another reference I saw being in a large square grid format with lines? what exactly will it look like for those who have recently taken this test? Just to get a better idea, thanks.

Inamberclad

I didn't find the GB too daunting but I'm definitely glad I did some practicing. That said I don't think it requires weeks of practice on end, there are harder tests that should also be focused on. Being familiar with the GB should be enough and the rest is down to your ability (IMHO).

PhoenixBC

A question about the trp1 with the tones and yellow pages.

Are the pairs of symbols on the card the same pairs of symbols as all those in the fake yellow pages? so you just need to circle any and all pairs of symbols without making reference to the symbols card they give you because they are all the same?

Or, do you need to be selective about which ones you circle?

Many thanks in advance for your help.:)

vintagegt

I didn't find the GB too daunting but I'm definitely glad I did some practicing. That said I don't think it requires weeks of practice on end, there are harder tests that should also be focused on. Being familiar with the GB should be enough and the rest is down to your ability (IMHO).

I'm in complete agreement this. People treat the GBT like its the be all and end all. Of course you must pass it but, it's not the hardest thing on the day and is probably the only thing that you can practice faithfully as it will be largely the same on the day as it is in the practice software. The other tests won't be and require you to think and concentrate much harder than you will for the GBT.

As others have said, just my opinion of course. :)

trump

Thanks for the tips guys. Am I right in thinking its not so much about getting loads and loads of lines complete, but more of getting a reasonable amount complete with zero mistakes?

vintagegt

Thanks for the tips guys. Am I right in thinking its not so much about getting loads and loads of lines complete, but more of getting a reasonable amount complete with zero mistakes?

I'd say you're right about that, yeah....but...the message across the entire day and all the tests is 'two aspects are being tested here...speed and accuracy' so you will need both.

I would say with GBT, accuracy is more important than going hell for leather and trying to do the whole sheet but I wouldn't just sit back and coast along either. No one knows a definitive 'pass mark' for the GBT so you just need to do as many lines as you can with as few mistakes as you can.

It's the same as everything else. If you practice and go in prepared, you'll have no problems.

Walrus

I'm in complete agreement this. People treat the GBT like its the be all and end all. Of course you must pass it but, it's not the hardest thing on the day and is probably the only thing that you can practice faithfully as it will be largely the same on the day as it is in the practice software. The other tests won't be and require you to think and concentrate much harder than you will for the GBT.

As others have said, just my opinion of course. :)

I definitely wouldn't agree there, on my testing day the GBT eliminated 4 people straight away, and only 1 more went later in the day. It may not be the most 'difficult' in the type of task it is, but it's the easiest to fail if you're a bit too slow being overly accurate.
The one with GTR wasn't in boxes, but the size of the print was easier than the online tests

vintagegt

I definitely wouldn't agree there, on my testing day the GBT eliminated 4 people straight away, and only 1 more went later in the day. It may not be the most 'difficult' in the type of task it is, but it's the easiest to fail if you're a bit too slow being overly accurate.
The one with GTR wasn't in boxes, but the size of the print was easier than the online tests

Hence the reason I said in another post on this thread 'speed and accuracy...you will need both'.

Anyone who failed this hasn't prepared well enough I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Walrus

Hence the reason I said in another post on this thread 'speed and accuracy...you will need both'.

Anyone who failed this hasn't prepared well enough I'm afraid.

I think it's a really tricky one. One of the guys at our assessment had been practicing for ages, he'd bought the preparation books you can get that the internet tries to lure you into, and had been putting effort in like crazy. His accuracy was great but wasn't fast enough. I guess some people really are just more suited to the tasks than others no matter the preparation, but then that's why they're there.

vintagegt

I think it's a really tricky one. One of the guys at our assessment had been practicing for ages, he'd bought the preparation books you can get that the internet tries to lure you into, and had been putting effort in like crazy. His accuracy was great but wasn't fast enough. I guess some people really are just more suited to the tasks than others no matter the preparation, but then that's why they're there.

Yeah, you've nailed it there. These tests are designed to root out those that, despite dedicated prep, maybe just don't have the correct brain function to make a good driver. That's not to say they're stupid or incapable in any way, just not a good fit for this role.

I agree that internet preparation books on this aren't great. The tool on here is far superior.

Jme_Bud

Spot on.

Garyhobbs

Can anyone give a rough indication of how many lines they completed and passed on the GBT. I'm hitting 8 - 10 no mistakes, it seems to be the same every time I do the test.
Cheers people, always appreciate feedback.

vintagegt

Can anyone give a rough indication of how many lines they completed and passed on the GBT. I'm hitting 8 - 10 no mistakes, it seems to be the same every time I do the test.

Hi Gary, I never really counted in lines when I was practising but rather just counted the total characters. For example, each line has 25 characters so I'd add them all up and tot up the total and how many errors I'd made.

I was averaging about 1800-1900 characters with a maximum of 1 or 2 errors. That's equal to about 14 lines a page but to be honest I practised this thing like a man possessed for months until I was absolutely flying.

From what I have seen and my experience of the actual test on the day, I'd say if you can do 10 lines a page with no mistakes you will be absolutely fine.

Sotac464

I dont know on the day if I got any wrong, but if that's what you are achieving then I would say that's more than adequate. The test is a lot easier on paper when you are there. Anyone who practises and puts the effort in, should not fail on this test.

I do feel a lot of the tests come down to your natural ability, which I think is right. I practised a lot on the gbt and the dfft but when I took the dfft, it was completely different to the practise material I had been given, and a lot harder.

My one bit of advice is stay calm and composed on the day, and you will be fine.

vintagegt

I dont know on the day if I got any wrong, but if that's what you are achieving then I would say that's more than adequate. The test is a lot easier on paper when you are there. Anyone who practises and puts the effort in, should not fail on this test.

I do feel a lot of the tests come down to your natural ability, which I think is right. I practised a lot on the gbt and the dfft but when I took the dfft, it was completely different to the practise material I had been given, and a lot harder.

My one bit of advice is stay calm and composed on the day, and you will be fine.

This is excellent advice and I agree entirely. If you prepare the there is no way you should fail this unless you just aren't right for the role and simply can't deal with the GBT. This is really speaking the only test you can practice at home that is largely exactly the same on the day. The rest are more difficult to prepare for.

I'd echo exactly what Sotac says...calm and composed on the day, good nights kip the night before, get there nice and early so you can relax into it. You will be fine.

PhoenixBC

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I've been doing the GB a lot with the prints from the tool and practice does make perfect. I always get onto the 12th line with 0 mistakes now which is nice.

How difficult was the ATAVT traffic pics test for you guys? was that difficult for everyone to really know if they had seen all the right things?

Got my assessment next Thursday and not a lot of time with work and everything.

Thanks

Sotac464

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I've been doing the GB a lot with the prints from the tool and practice does make perfect. I always get onto the 12th line with 0 mistakes now which is nice.

How difficult was the ATAVT traffic pics test for you guys? was that difficult for everyone to really know if they had seen all the right things?

Got my assessment next Thursday and not a lot of time with work and everything.

Thanks

Put down what you see, don't guess. I think again it's a matter of attention to detail. If you've got it you'll be fine.

trump

Just to echo what several people have said on here.
I completed my assessment day on Monday and out of 22 was one of the 7 to get through. Very tough and nerve wracking waiting to be called in with results.

I found the GBT easier during the actual test. The sheets were a bit shorter than the practise ones online and perhaps the dots were a bit bigger and spaced out?

During practise on the online tool I was getting kind of 7-10 rows with zero errors and about 7 omissions.
No idea what I got on the real test or if I got any omissions, or what the pass mark actually is.
Point is, don't panic about it. There were some people on here saying they regularly get 14 rows and 1500 plus cells.

I think with a reasonable amount of practise and the right type of brain you should nail it. Good luck :)

Frostt baker

Just a quick one,

The third part of the T.E.A where you have to search the directory while counting the tones, are you counting how much tones in per group or just every tone you hear ?
Thanks

Frostt baker

Tones test
Just a quick one,

The third part of the T.E.A where you have to search the directory while counting the tones, are you counting how much tones in per group or just every tone you hear ?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.