• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Man Airport, questions to ORR

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
"this was in Saturdays local regional paper,As a North Walien, I welcome the
the airport service & for once praise ATW for doing something for North Wales
It would be a shame to loose this service, suppose other tocs want to protect their patch"
Also Trans Pennine manage the Station.

Arriva train to Manchester Airport could be derailed by English operators
Oct 24 2009 By Owen R Hughes, Daily Post

A BID to run direct trains from North Wales to Manchester Airport could be derailed by rival train operators in England.

Arriva Trains Wales wants to run a direct train from Llandudno to the airport and further linked services from Chester – instead of making passengers change in Manchester.

But North West train firm Northern Rail is concerned the extra services could clog up busy rail routes around Manchester.

First Trans Pennine Express is also seeking clarification from Network Rail over the proposals.

The Office of the Rail Regulator (ORR) will decide whether the services will get the go-ahead in the coming weeks.

Transport minister Ieuan Wyn Jones has written a letter to the ORR backing Arriva Trains Wales.

Aberconwy AM Gareth Jones said: “Manchester is the major regional international airport for passengers from the north of Wales and a direct rail service from Llandudno will be of major benefit, not just in terms of convenience, but also as a viable alternative to using the car.

“Manchester Airport is as much our regional airport as it is theirs.”

Arriva Trains Wales said they had made a case for new services to Network Rail and that they awaited a decision from the rail regulator. The services include a direct evening train from Llandudno at 6.50pm and a direct return at 5.53am. They also want two direct return services from Chester, which link to North Wales services.

But Northern Rail said: “The current timetable was created to be as robust as possible and any changes to that could impact on the service we can offer our customers. We are concerned that if the route becomes congested, delays by any operator could have a knock-on effect on other services.”

A spokeswoman for First Trans Pennine Express said they had submitted initial comments and were now seeking clarification on a number of issues.

The Assembly Government said it was fully supportive of the proposal. http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...derailed-by-english-operators-55578-25003059/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

emoaconr

Its not particulary beyond people to change trains; its only discrepancies between TOCs that make connections a hurdle for some.

It would of course lead to more choice of services, and an easier path for those in North Wales. I don't know whether I'd go as far to say that ATW were "doing something" for N Wales... rail operators being private companies, it will be probably to do with revenue, profit and competition.

On the other hand, it'd go nicely alongide their other airport service to Birmingham International.

The Planner

Veteran Member
On the other hand, it'd go nicely alongide their other airport service to Birmingham International.

Which is really a way of getting ATW out of New St to stop them clogging up a platform and gives a chance them of getting the service back on track if it goes belly up by capeing the service to Int.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Its not particulary beyond people to change trains; its only discrepancies between TOCs that make connections a hurdle for some.

It would of course lead to more choice of services, and an easier path for those in North Wales. I don't know whether I'd go as far to say that ATW were "doing something" for N Wales... rail operators being private companies, it will be probably to do with revenue, profit and competition.

All due respect, hardly anyone goes via Brum from North Wales to fly, In this instance, for once they are thinking,better this than Gerald or the Aber
idea using the taxpayers levy, or leaving 175s idle for an hour(with engines running) in Manchester, as occurs now

merlodlliw

Established Member
hopefully it will happen, i would love to see 175s back down at the airport :)

I note the Minister in charge of the railways in Wales has written in support
of the service along with other high flyers(excuse the pun), in my opinion
the ORR will give the go ahead on this ATW application, then pour cold water
on the other ATW aspiration, which does not have WAG Ministerial support.

Agree it will be nice to see 175s back at Ringway.

Status
Not open for further replies.