• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Manchester Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonison

BBC Manchester's local TV news reports this morning that Arriva (pictures are of ATW stock) wish to divert their services (unspecified) to Manchester Victoria rather than to serve Oxford Road and Piccadilly.

Does anyone know what the detail of this story is please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
BBC Manchester's local TV news reports this morning that Arriva (pictures are of ATW stock) wish to divert their services (unspecified) to Manchester Victoria rather than to serve Oxford Road and Piccadilly.

Does anyone know what the detail of this story is please?

I only caught the tail end of this report but I think it was referring to a preposal for Arriva Northern services between Southport and Manchester all being concentrated on Victoria with nothing going to Piccadilly?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You don't take any notice of pictures of stock seen in the Media. Sometimes, the most outrageous pictures of trains which have nothing to do with the subject.

pemma

Veteran Member
BBC Manchester's local TV news

BBC Manchester has a local TV channel? :eek: Last time I checked there was a North West regional TV channel and a local radio station.

If it's the Southport service they've been very slow to pick up on it, local newspapers and MPs brought it up in February.

neonison

BBC Manchester has a local TV channel? :eek: Last time I checked there was a North West regional TV channel and a local radio station.

If it's the Southport service they've been very slow to pick up on it, local newspapers and MPs brought it up in February.

This was featured in the half-hourly NW Regional news slot on BBC Breakfast this morning and presented as 'new' news with a picture a Class 175 of ATW.

I'd heard about the earlier proposal to divert more Southport services into Victoria, I wondered what had changed.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This was featured in the half-hourly NW Regional news slot on BBC Breakfast this morning and presented as 'new' news with a picture a Class 175 of ATW.

I'd heard about the earlier proposal to divert more Southport services into Victoria, I wondered what had changed.

Where was the picture taken ?

neonison

Where was the picture taken ?

I’ve no idea, in any case as you remarked, it’s unwise to take much notice of stock pictures.

You don't take any notice of pictures of stock seen in the Media. Sometimes, the most outrageous pictures of trains which have nothing to do with the subject.

The same BBC local news bulletin has its background to rail disruption bulletins a picture showing 4th rail electrification, which IIRC is something not seen in the NW since the L&Y electrified the Liverpool Exchange - Southport lines at the beginning of the last century!

snowball

Established Member
Whilst not Manchester Victoria, but its adjacent station of Manchester Exchange, I am sure that I travelled from there to Holyhead very many years ago in the late 1960s/very early 1970s time period.
Exchange closed simultaneously with Central in 1969, so it wasn't the 70s.

Polarbear

Established Member
Whilst not Manchester Victoria, but its adjacent station of Manchester Exchange, I am sure that I travelled from there to Holyhead very many years ago in the late 1960s/very early 1970s time period.

Yes, that certainly would have been the case until Exchange station closed. The North Wales services then used Victoria throughout the 1970's and moved to terminating at Oxford Road and/or Piccadilly during BR's rationalisation of services in the 1980's.

Of course, when new Northern introduce their new trains, one of the proposed services will be between Chester & Leeds via the Calder Valley, which will see Chester regain a direct service to Victoria.

Viscount702

I also remember traveling from Exchange to Pwllheli in the late 1950's or early 1960's from if I remember correctly one of the Bay platforms

mikestone1952

I did wonder if the ATW services might need diverting to Victoria to provide enough paths between Deansgate and Piccadilly post Ordsall chord, although I couldn't see quite what you would do with them once they arrived there .

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
175s worked all over the north west in FNW days.
Not sure if they ever worked to Southport though.

Even BR used to have posters sporting a Deltic to promote all intercity routes (even Manchester-Euston and Paddington-Bristol).
At one point a class 87 was used in the same way, then it went to HSTs.
None of these was wholly "accurate" to the pedants.
This was in "the age of the train" era.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
175s worked all over the north west in FNW days.
Not sure if they ever worked to Southport though.

I think the only route 175s worked which wasn't transferred to either TPE or ATW was the Manchester-Chester via Altrincham line where there was a booked 175 service in the morning peak, which was part of the same diagram as Piccadilly-Llandudno services.

neonison

This was in "the age of the train" era.
I'm not sure we're allowed to mention that promotion anymore!

Please blame me for the misleading title to this thread which came about because BBC NW chose to illustrate a short feature about the proposed diversion of "Arriva" services with footage of a 175 in RAL5018 turquoise blue.

Though the feature was not specific it would appear that the proposal may relate to the Arriva Rail North services from Southport via Wigan which presently alternate between Piccadilly and Victoria.

My question which remains unanswered is what happened last week to make this worthy of a news item at this juncture?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think the only route 175s worked which wasn't transferred to either TPE or ATW was the Manchester-Chester via Altrincham line where there was a booked 175 service in the morning peak, which was part of the same diagram as Piccadilly-Llandudno services.

There was also at one point a Chester-Blackpool direct (via Warrington BQ and Wigan NW), to position 175s to/from Chester Alstom depot.
Originally, I think they were also supposed to run Liverpool-Blackpool, but I don't think there were ever enough available to do that as well as the main services from Manchester.

pemma

Veteran Member
There was also at one point a Chester-Blackpool direct (via Warrington BQ and Wigan NW), to position 175s to/from Chester Alstom depot.
Originally, I think they were also supposed to run Liverpool-Blackpool, but I don't think there were ever enough available to do that as well as the main services from Manchester.

At one point there was a plan to use 180s on Open Access services as well as Birmingham-North Wales services, so that would have meant the 175s which were used on Birmingham-North Wales services could have been used on other routes, had the plan not fallen through.

Status
Not open for further replies.