• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW 'WAG' - Reservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
I'm considering travelling on the WAG tomorrow evening between Cardiff & Shrewsbury for an evening meal, but it appears to be too late to make a reservation. From experience, should there be space on a Tuesday evening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
I'm considering travelling on the WAG tomorrow evening between Cardiff & Shrewsbury for an evening meal, but it appears to be too late to make a reservation. From experience, should there be space on a Tuesday evening?

I've just tried to make a reservation on it and get "There are no seats available to reserve for your chosen ticket on the chosen service. You can buy this ticket without reservations or you can change your service or ticket selection using the Return to Search button on the left." this is unusual as I can usually make a reservation the night before.

I've traveled most nights of the week, and Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays tend to be fairly quiet so I wouldn't normally expect a problem.

richa2002

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! That was my concern, though I checked standard class too and it's also not possible to make a reservation there. I almost certainly wouldn't have thought that was fully booked?

I think I'll take my chances seeing as it's mid-week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another question, sorry! I was planning to upgrade from a standard class ticket, but is there a policy where those already holding 'business' tickets are given priority?

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! That was my concern, though I checked standard class too and it's also not possible to make a reservation there. I almost certainly wouldn't have thought that was fully booked?

I think I'll take my chances seeing as it's mid-week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another question, sorry! I was planning to upgrade from a standard class ticket, but is there a policy where those already holding 'business' tickets are given priority?

If there's "no room at the inn" they won't take the upgrade money off of you, so don't be too worried.

The staff on board are fantastic, as is the food, I'd recommend the Welsh bottled cider they serve!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some of the seats are not reserveable, and unless a large group is booked on it, you should be fine.

Sometimes it can be a bonus if the train is busy; some of us have met new forum members and been offered tours of interesting places and discovered that others on the train know someone you know, as a result of getting into conversation on it ;)

richa2002

Established Member
Some of the seats are not reserveable, and unless a large group is booked on it, you should be fine.

Sometimes it can be a bonus if the train is busy; some of us have met new forum members and been offered tours of interesting places and discovered that others on the train know someone you know, as a result of getting into conversation on it ;)
Thanks for that confirmation, Yorkie! Now I just hope there aren't too many unreserved first class ticket holders.

headshot119

Established Member
Thanks for that confirmation, Yorkie! Now I just hope there aren't too many unreserved first class ticket holders.

You needn't worry, being the only first class train on the route, everyone tends to book reservations on it. Do let us know how you get on!

Phil from Mon

I've traveled most nights of the week, and Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays tend to be fairly quiet so I wouldn't normally expect a problem.

Last Thursday first class was very busy from Cardiff. For some reason the coach was reversed, so the buffet counter and kitchen were at the rear of the train and standard customers had to use a trolley parked in the vestibule, so as to avoid disturbing the crachach. The wonderful staff still provided us with hot food from the kitchen (excellent chicken curry), and came through with the trolley a couple of times, but the drink offering was a bit limited (no decent beer this time).

Not sure if there is a problem with ATW reservations in general at the moment though. I was unable to reserve a seat travelling down to Cardiff mid morning the previous day although plenty were available on the train.

richa2002

Established Member
Pleased to report that I easily got a seat and had an excellent meal. I can't quite process that the supplement is only £15 to Shrewsbury and includes a high quality three course meal...! A hidden gem for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.