• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Auto-focus issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sankey Wire

Hi, I am hoping that someone will be able to help. I have taken up photography again using my Canon EOS1000D, after a long hiatus.

The last few weeks it has been working as one would expect; however, when I went to take a photo yesterday, nothing happened. After some fiddling, I found that the manual modes work fine, but when I try to focus in auto mode, nothing happens, though there is a slight noise from the lens.

My zoom lens allows me to take a photo, but again without any auto-focus. I have tried to clean the metallic pin/connection, this has not had any effect.

Has anyone encountered this issue, or do you know what might be the cause? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Is the MF (manual focus) switch on the lens, or is it in AF (auto focus) mode already? If the latter, you may want to find a friend with a Canon APS sensor camera like a 1000D, 60/70/80D, 600, 700, etc. and try your lens with their body and vice-versa.

Cleaning the contacts is definitely a wise thing to try. There is an obscure custom function that might be the culprit. Have a look at the bottom of: http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200229300.html (mods, direct link not a quote)

Sankey Wire

I toggled the AF/MF button a few times, but still had the same issue. I have two lenses, 18-55 and 70-300, I can take (unfocused) pictures with the latter, but can’t get as far as clicking the shutter with the former.

I found that guide earlier and also reset the camera to default, but I still have the same problem.

I am on leave this Friday, so I think a trip to Wilkinson’s in Warrington is in order!

The camera did spend a couple of years gathering dust, so I suppose it could be to do with being out of action for so long?

Sankey Wire

An update, for anyone with a morbid interest in my crisis!

I visited Newton Ellis in Liverpool at lunch time, it transpires that the issue is in fact with my 18-55 lens! I have no idea how I convinced myself that the other wasn’t working either.

So, time to decide whether to splash out on a new lens, or pay the £65 + VAT to have it repaired.

Can anyone suggest a good retailer for lenses - Amazon?

strimmer

An update, for anyone with a morbid interest in my crisis!

I visited Newton Ellis in Liverpool at lunch time, it transpires that the issue is in fact with my 18-55 lens! I have no idea how I convinced myself that the other wasn’t working either.

So, time to decide whether to splash out on a new lens, or pay the £65 + VAT to have it repaired.

Can anyone suggest a good retailer for lenses - Amazon?
In my experience SRS are unbeatable on price and service.

AM9

Veteran Member
The 18-55mm lens has been the standard kit lens for years. Many of them are sold as unused or with very little use as their owners have bought newer kits just for the later model body. I would advise a look on Ebay as they can be seen for under £30. The later STM types are faster focusing but the sell for more money and an entry body like the EOS1000 is unlikely to benefit from them.
Repairing a lens is rarely worthwhile as the tools and jigs needed usually means sending the lens back to the far east.

I've had a Canon 450D for ten years and the auto focus on the 18-55 kit lens packed up after about 4 years and has remained in a drawer for the last 6! I replaced it with a Canon 17-85mm lens which was superior to the kit lens but only lasted another 4 years when the electrics packed up! It had to go in the bin as it would have been cheaper to replace than repair. I now use a Sigma lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.