• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn 2022 Covid wave peaked earlier than predicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
Then the question is why? Many people realised by this point that restrictions weren't required or having very limited effect at best so surely, if it wasn't a political motive, then someone in the Labour Party would have been very vocal about it? I'm afraid saying it was a wrong judgement just doesn't wash with me.

My thoughts exactly. I have a trust issue with all of the main parties to be honest, but at least there were Conservative MPs who were vocally opposed to restrictions. “Earlier, harder, longer” was the Labour mantra, which I find rather worrying!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It would be interesting to see what proportion of people will vote on covid policy as opposed to other issues. That can only happen with a general election.

TPO

That’s how Labour got to power in 1997 and how they’ll get to power again at the next election. They’re not the Tories. A lot of votes will come their way for that very reason.

For Labour the challenge now isn’t so much getting into power it’s making the best of it when they’re in. It has been over ten years since we had a Labour government, time is a healer.

Too many people were affected by covid that this government won’t be let off the hook for the behaviour of senior politicians. We are where we are with it now. The damage we will see from covid this winter is second hand now, the viruses that weren’t affecting us when we were all locked down will now be coming back with a vengeance.

That requires Labour to have credible plans in the first place.

If they don't present credible plans to the electorate, that leads me to suspect that they don't have any.

Take the example I gave above of Rachel Reeves saying that Labour were going to abolish business rates. The fact that she did not say what would replace business rates means that the proposal is nonsense, and just a soundbite to curry favour with the business community and some voters.

There's an old saying: the Opposition does not win elections; the Government loses them.

By the time we have a GE, the whole COVID malarkey will have faded into distant memory, with focus on fuel bills, strikes and cost of living. The electorate is very fickle.

TPO

Southern Dvr

By the time we have a GE, the whole COVID malarkey will have faded into distant memory, with focus on fuel bills, strikes and cost of living. The electorate is very fickle.

TPO

Unfortunately for the government the Covid may be a memory but their failings on the other matters won’t be.

DustyBin

Established Member
It would be interesting to see what proportion of people will vote on covid policy as opposed to other issues. That can only happen with a general election.

Very few I imagine, which is part of the problem. None of the main parties have acknowledged that lockdowns and other restrictions were a disaster, in fact not locking us up sooner appears to be their only regret. I’m suppose therefore you could argue it doesn’t matter who you vote for in this regard, although again Labour’s positive enthusiasm for taking away our freedom concerns me.

Status
Not open for further replies.