• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti advance ticket change fee

churo

It clearly states on the Avanti website (https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/tickets-and-savings/download-our-app):
"Change of journey via our app: Changes made to Advance Tickets - BEFORE 6pm on the day BEFORE you travel - no admin fee. After 6pm on the day BEFORE you travel - £10 admin fee".

However, when I try to make a date/time change via the app (and also via the website) for a journey in June, it adds on a £40 admin fee (2 x outward and homeward single tickets).

Their contact centre doesn't seem to be open at the weekend (and I guess not on the bank holiday either), but I want to make a change to these tickets today before the price goes up.

If I do so, would I be able to claim back the admin fee later? (seeing as it explicitly states there shouldn't be one in this case).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

churo

Yes, I tried it on the website first and it added the fees. Then I tried the app (thinking it might be an app-specific thing) and it did the same. I can't see how they could get away with not refunding me the fees if I made the change today, as that info is on a current page of the tickets & savings section of their site, and even states that they are the "Ts and Cs for Change of Journey". Even so, I'm not sure whether to do it or not...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Train companies do tend to penalise people who book multiple tickets and charge admin fees based on the number of tickets; notwithstanding any promises of waiving such charges.

The forum's site only charges one admin fee for a change to an entire booking, regardless of the number of tickets affected.

I suggest writing to Avanti customer services and, if they refuse to refund you the charges, ask if you are "in deadlock"; if you get a deadlock letter you can then go to the Rail Ombudsman.

RAPC

What is interesting is that they appear to have two sets of T&Cs. At first I couldn't see what you are seeing, as it only had the standard £10 change fee to amend an advance ticket. I then refreshed the page and it now shows the language you have seen. All very strange.

As long as you are sure you are fulfilling all of the criteria to allow you to make the change free of charge, then I think it it comes down to your appetite to potentially have a protracted fight with Avanti for the refund. They may refund straight away, or they might be their usual efficient selves and you'll have a number of interactions before you finally get someone to actually comprehend the issue. You can also put in a request via your credit card issuer to dispute the charge, should that be required.

The T&Cs are clear though for eligible tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Avanti have replied:
Hi there, amendments to tickets do incur an admin fee. You can also speak with our Aftersales team who'll assist with this 0345 528 0253, options 5 and 2. Just to let you know that the opening and closing hours are from 8 am until 10 pm Monday to Sunday. - Sam

My suggestion is not to book with Avanti; although our site charges admin fees, you are not penalised for having multiple tickets.

Also, bear in mind that sites such as Avanti charge huge premiums on some journeys, for which we will offer a combination of tickets to avoid the premiums.

Companies like Avanti really don't value your custom and don't have any interest in providing fair deals for customers.

Trackman

Established Member
What is interesting is that they appear to have two sets of T&Cs. At first I couldn't see what you are seeing, as it only had the standard £10 change fee to amend an advance ticket. I then refreshed the page and it now shows the language you have seen. All very strange.

There is conflicting information on the Avanti website.
There's a section that says there is a £10 admin charge for website and app booked changes.
This is a different URL from what the OP provided.

Bought your ticket on our website or app?

If you bought your ticket using our website or the Avanti West Coast app then, up to the departure time of your booked train, you can amend the date and time of your ticket.
  • Login to the Avanti West Coast app on your device
  • Go to 'My tickets'
  • Under the ticket you've purchased, click 'Change journey'
  • Search for new tickets/times/dates
  • Select your preferred new ticket
  • Checkout as normal

Please be aware that some terms and conditions apply:

• Only available for Advance tickets
  • Only E-tickets and uncollected paper tickets can be amended
  • You won't be able to change the station from which you depart
  • You won't be able to change the station at which you arrive
  • You won't be able to change your journey via our website if you've booked a Plus Bus, Travel Card or Bike reservation as an extra
  • An admin fee of £10 will apply when amending your ticket. Head to My Account to make changes.
Avanti lurk in these forums, so I would take a screenshot or whatever of the webpage and wait for the contact centre to open.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is conflicting information on the Avanti website.
There's a section that says there is a £10 admin charge for website and app booked changes.
This is a different URL from what the OP provided.

Avanti lurk in these forums, so I would take a screenshot or whatever of the webpage and wait for the contact centre to open.
Of course, the OP would be entitled to rely on whichever statement was more favourable, as the consumer (and non-drafting party) to a B2C transaction.

Jimini

Established Member
Avanti have always charged £10 (plus fare difference where applicable) for changes to existing bookings, I thought? Certainly that's what we always end up paying!

megabusser

Avanti have always charged £10 (plus fare difference where applicable) for changes to existing bookings, I thought? Certainly that's what we always end up paying!

I suspect it could be from the COVID-era ‘book with confidence’ scheme and hasn’t been updated. They absolutely should honour it.

Am i right in thinking that CrossCountry don’t charge in this situation? Worth considering next time if so.

Jimini

Established Member
I suspect it could be from the COVID-era ‘book with confidence’ scheme and hasn’t been updated. They absolutely should honour it.

Am i right in thinking that CrossCountry don’t charge in this situation? Worth considering next time if so.

Again, only anecdotally, but with XC you can only move a booking 24 hours at a time (at least that's what I've found).

With Avanti, you can go days / weeks into the future.

churo

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I decided to take a chance and make the changes to the tickets, for which I was duly charged £10 for each ticket (plus the difference in ticket prices).

I then sent a message to Avanti via their refund claims form, stating that according to the terms & conditions on their site I shouldn't be charged any admin fees. To my surprise, they replied this morning offering me a refund of the fees by e-voucher or BACS transfer (which they said could take up to 28 days to process). I opted for the e-voucher, which was credited to my account a few minutes later.

So fair play to Avanti for sorting that quickly, but they still have the conflicting info on their site. I doubt I'd use them again for booking advance tickets, which I only did because they allow you to choose your seats, and because of reading the "no admin fee" info on that page.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Again, only anecdotally, but with XC you can only move a booking 24 hours at a time (at least that's what I've found).

With Avanti, you can go days / weeks into the future.
In my experience, XC allow you to change your ticket to any date that is available for booking, be that the same day, or earlier/later. Works very well TBH.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

The T&Cs have now been changed, to say:
  • An admin fee of £5 will apply when amending your ticket. Head to My Account to make changes.
The T&Cs published at the time of booking still apply to bookings made prior to the change.

However, for future bookings, I'd seriously reconsider booking with Avanti; they charge £5 per ticket, but the forum's site only charges one fee for the entire booking.

Furthermore, Avanti's app will not attempt to identify a cheaper combination of tickets; our site does that, so we may find a cheaper fare than Avanti (we will not charge more).

Trackman

Established Member
The T&Cs published at the time of booking still apply to bookings made prior to the change.
Indeed, they still apply at the time of booking.
They do seem to be in a muddle, but at least they have updated the T&C's.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I decided to take a chance and make the changes to the tickets, for which I was duly charged £10 for each ticket (plus the difference in ticket prices).

I then sent a message to Avanti via their refund claims form, stating that according to the terms & conditions on their site I shouldn't be charged any admin fees. To my surprise, they replied this morning offering me a refund of the fees by e-voucher or BACS transfer (which they said could take up to 28 days to process). I opted for the e-voucher, which was credited to my account a few minutes later.

So fair play to Avanti for sorting that quickly, but they still have the conflicting info on their site. I doubt I'd use them again for booking advance tickets, which I only did because they allow you to choose your seats, and because of reading the "no admin fee" info on that page.
Great result, and amazingly quick too (understatement) - Did customer resolutions email you or was it automated?

churo

Indeed, they still apply at the time of booking.
They do seem to be in a muddle, but at least they have updated the T&C's.

Great result, and amazingly quick too (understatement) - Did customer resolutions email you or was it automated?
Yes, I wasn't expecting such a swift resolution! Their customer service e-mailed me (and this was on the bank holiday morning too).

The T&Cs have now been changed, to say: • An admin fee of £5 will apply when amending your ticket. Head to My Account to make changes.

Out of curiosity, I went back to the "manage tickets" section of my Avanti account, made some random changes to the ticket dates, and the price it gives me for making these changes is still £10 per ticket. So it seems they haven't updated the fees on their booking system to reflect the changed T&Cs on their site.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Yes, I wasn't expecting such a swift resolution! Their customer service e-mailed me (and this was on the bank holiday morning too).
Last time I had a problem a couple of years ago (which was sorted), it took about 6 weeks to sort out, but emails were going back and forth, then a long period of silence. Then the old 'Goodwill gesture' email arrived to imply I was wrong along from the off.

wilbers

Hats off to Avanti customer services for sorting it out correctly on the first attempt, and even more so for doing it on a bank holiday. Presumably whoever approved the refund is the same one who has organised the change to the website (to make it say £5 per ticket).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hats off to Avanti customer services for sorting it out correctly on the first attempt...
Agreed!
... and even more so for doing it on a bank holiday. Presumably whoever approved the refund is the same one who has organised the change to the website (to make it say £5 per ticket).
Some people in high up places read the forum ;)

And although overall a lot of companies really aren't good at customer service and some people in the industry really don't appear to give a damn, there are some people in high up places who really do; if only their diligence was more widespread!