• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti delay repay

Wombat

Hi,

My wife and I have just completed a round trip between Epsom and Llandudno Junction, leaving yesterday and arriving back in Epsom today, via an open return because the timing on the inbound leg was subject to change.

We had reserved seats on the 15:32 direct train from Llandudno Junction to Euston. Presumably due to Avanti's apparent policy of cancelling trains, this one was terminated at Crewe and we got home half an hour late.

Just had a look at the Avanti website and it seems to suggest that only Advance tickets merit delay repay, which sounds odd. Is that correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Just had a look at the Avanti website and it seems to suggest that only Advance tickets merit delay repay, which sounds odd. Is that correct?
It's not correct at all.

You are well entitled to delay repay from Avanti since your train was terminated short at Crewe.

A 30 minute delay should entitle you to 25% of the return ticket cost back. They might calculate it as slightly more due to the leeway granted by cross-London connections, but that's not for you to worry about.

Jimini

Established Member
Hi,

My wife and I have just completed a round trip between Epsom and Llandudno Junction, leaving yesterday and arriving back in Epsom today, via an open return because the timing on the inbound leg was subject to change.

We had reserved seats on the 15:32 direct train from Llandudno Junction to Euston. Presumably due to Avanti's apparent policy of cancelling trains, this one was terminated at Crewe and we got home half an hour late.

If you were delayed for 30-59 minutes on one leg of your journey, that entitles you to 25% off the total cost of the return ticket I'm assuming you both held, as per the table below:

Avanti DR.JPG

Table shows Avanti's delay repay % rates, showing the 25% refund due for a return journey delayed by 30-59 mins.

curtly

The Avanti website will be showing that only advance tickets are eligible for automatic delay repay. Because with any other ticket type they cannot guarantee what service you will have travelled on.
But you can of course apply your self giving details of your journey

Wombat

Thank you all, that's very helpful! I would appreciate your further assistance, as I no longer have the original return tickets (they were eaten by the barriers at Epsom). I do have the collection receipt, which the website states is sufficient.

However, at the start of the delay repay process I have to answer the question: "Did you use more than 1 ticket for this journey?". If I answer truthfully ("yes") I have to provide details of at least two tickets. I can't upload the same collection receipt twice (I tried, it won't let me). I'm a bit worried about answering "No" because it's not true, and I know what the railway companies are like. Any advice?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you all, that's very helpful! I would appreciate your further assistance, as I no longer have the original return tickets (they were eaten by the barriers at Epsom). I do have the collection receipt, which the website states is sufficient.

However, at the start of the delay repay process I have to answer the question: "Did you use more than 1 ticket for this journey?". If I answer truthfully ("yes") I have to provide details of at least two tickets. I can't upload the same collection receipt twice (I tried, it won't let me). I'm a bit worried about answering "No" because it's not true, and I know what the railway companies are like. Any advice?
The question about more than 1 ticket is really asking if you used split tickets. Claims for multiple passengers usually have to be done separately, once per passenger.

Wombat

The question about more than 1 ticket is really asking if you used split tickets. Claims for multiple passengers usually have to be done separately, once per passenger.
Ah, thank you, that's useful to know. So should I submit two separate claims, using the same collection receipt for both? Perhaps I should add that I booked the tickets via the Avanti website, so they will have a record of the transaction and can presumably tie it to the claim(s).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ah, thank you, that's useful to know. So should I submit two separate claims, using the same collection receipt for both? Perhaps I should add that I booked the tickets via the Avanti website, so they will have a record of the transaction and can presumably tie it to the claim(s).
That's how you'll have to do it, yes. The second claim might be rejected as a duplicate but should be allowed on appeal once you explain the circumstances.

Wombat

Thank you again, much appreciated! I've submitted two claims and will see what happens next.

zero

I always take photos of my paper tickets in case I get delayed and then have to put them into a ticket barrier which may not return them to me.

arb

Off-topic for the original question, but I note that table above says that a 15-29 minute delay on a season ticket gets me "25% of the cost of a season ticket". Really? Not 25% of a small proportion of the cost of the season ticket that is roughly equal to the cost of one journey? That's very generous of Avanti if so :D

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Off-topic for the original question, but I note that table above says that a 15-29 minute delay on a season ticket gets me "25% of the cost of a season ticket". Really? Not 25% of a small proportion of the cost of the season ticket that is roughly equal to the cost of one journey? That's very generous of Avanti if so :D
A daily value is calculated when determining the compensation payable on season tickets, as well as rovers and other tickets valid for more than one day.

Wombat

That's how you'll have to do it, yes. The second claim might be rejected as a duplicate but should be allowed on appeal once you explain the circumstances.
Just wanted to give a quick update: you were exactly right, they rejected the second claim as a duplicate but finally accepted it on appeal. Thank you again for your help!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just wanted to give a quick update: you were exactly right, they rejected the second claim as a duplicate but finally accepted it on appeal. Thank you again for your help!
Glad to hear it worked out :)

317 forever

Established Member
I had something similar happen when my trains in both directions (January 23rd/24th) were delayed. My first application for 24th was rejected as an alleged duplicate although their email header did list the return leg) but my appeal was accepted.

Admittedly my acceptance was just a standard acceptance - as if it was my first application rather than an appeal - but the main thing is that it was the correct outome.

Leisurefirst

Hi,
Two of us just travelled Manchester Piccadilly to Euston on split tickets.
Man Picc to Stockport (RTN portion of Off Peak Day Return)
Stockport to Nuneaton Advance
Nuneaton to Euston Advance.

The train left just over 25 minutes late and remained between 25-29 minutes late throughout, arriving just over 27 minutes late.

As it was within the 15 to 29 minutes late threshold for all three legs, will Auto Delay Repay cover all the journey or would for example the first leg not be covered automatically as it might think we could have taken a non-delayed local service?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

MrJeeves

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, Auto Delay Repay only works for advances.

You'd be better off submitting a single claim yourself for the full journey.