• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti detour - via Earlstown, Manchester and Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofle

There’s overhead line damage between Warrington and Wigan and trains are being diverted via Manchester from Warrington to Preston. There may be every chance of unusual sightings of Avanti stock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goofle

Yup, sat there now!

Is there no option to reverse at Deansgate or Oxford Road? It seems odd us travelling to Piccadilly!

jfollows

Established Member
Route set to follow 1N61 EMU Manchester Airport to Blackpool North which just left p14
TRTS pressed, that was quick work by the driver and other staff

Peter0124

Established Member
I presume the train will be the wrong way round now as a consequence? If so would it be possible for the set to reverse again outside Motherwell to get the set the right way around arriving into Glasgow or will it just travel down south again like that.

jfollows

Established Member
1M13 12:40 Glasgow-Euston is approaching Salford Crescent so the overhead damage is currently affecting both directions

Goofle

We are the ‘wrong way’ round, aye. We’re on the move again - although we’ve just stopped…

jfollows

Established Member
We are the ‘wrong way’ round, aye. We’re on the move again - although we’ve just stopped…
You're behind 1N61 which has several stops to make between Manchester and Preston, don't expect a fast run! It stops at Oxford Road, Deansgate, Salford Crescent, Bolton, Lostock, Horwich Parkway, Blackrod, Adlington, Chorley & Buckshaw Parkway. Hopefully you'll pass it at Bolton.

Goofle

Just before 5 into Preston apparently!

And at the expense of seeming selfish, I’d rather we didn’t reverse again before Glasgow - I’ve a meal booked at 8 in Argyl and Bute!

jfollows

Established Member
It looks like 1N61 is being held at Bolton (you'll see it on the left in platform 5 as you pass through platform 4) so you have a clear run to Euxton Junction now.

Goofle

It looks like 1N61 is being held at Bolton (you'll see it on the left in platform 5 as you pass through platform 4) so you have a clear run to Euxton Junction now.
Correct, we’ve just passed!

Peter0124

Established Member
5pm into Preston seems reasonable, which is 1h20m late. 19:40 into Glasgow?
But it could in turn delay the 18:40 off Glasgow if they don't step sets up.

Also looks like 1M14 got cancelled at Preston, 1S72 got cancelled at Crewe, and 9S70 diverting through Manchester Piccadilly now.

jfollows

Established Member
75.5 minutes late at Euxton, so "predicted" arrival around 19:15 into Glasgow now - that's best case if no more delays from other trains or other reasons.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I presume the train will be the wrong way round now as a consequence? If so would it be possible for the set to reverse again outside Motherwell to get the set the right way around arriving into Glasgow or will it just travel down south again like that.
I don’t believe it is possible for them to reverse the set as I don’t think there is anywhere they could actually do it without blocking the track. Running via Holytown and into Motherwell Platform 3 and changing ends is an option, but it would just add more delay.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I don’t believe it is possible for them to reverse the set as I don’t think there is anywhere they could actually do it without blocking the track. Running via Holytown and into Motherwell Platform 3 and changing ends is an option, but it would just add more delay.
Also, it will presumably need to repeat the diversion and reversal on the return journey, so you'd be turning it again anyway.

Goofle

There’s been no mention on board about further delays by another reversal. We’re going straight there by all accounts - albeit with an extra stop.

Peter0124

Established Member
Also, it will presumably need to repeat the diversion and reversal on the return journey, so you'd be turning it again anyway.
I don't think it'll need to reverse on the way back if it runs via Bolton/Manchester/Wilmslow and skips serving Wigan/Warrington or if the wire damage is fixed. Though they could do that again to get it back in form (and thus serve Warrington) I suppose.

Goofle

The brief was its likely to six hour Mmmm s before the overhead line is sorted. That’s only what was mentioned when we were sat in Warrington

zwk500

Veteran Member
The brief was its likely to six hour Mmmm s before the overhead line is sorted. That’s only what was mentioned when we were sat in Warrington
Yes, although it now looks like they're taking the earlier diversion at Crewe via Stockport and Bolton to avoid the need to reverse. as @Peter0124 says, they may choose to spin any sets that have ended up the wrong way regardless, although they may also wait until things are a bit better before playing Hornby shunting puzzles. If any trains are due to end up in Birmingham or Manchester, there's plenty of opportunities to divert the ECS to depot if the crew have the hours left.

Goofle

Yes, although it now looks like they're taking the earlier diversion at Crewe via Stockport and Bolton to avoid the need to reverse. as @Peter0124 says, they may choose to spin any sets that have ended up the wrong way regardless, although they may also wait until things are a bit better before playing Hornby shunting puzzles. If any trains are due to end up in Birmingham or Manchester, there's plenty of opportunities to divert the ECS to depot if the crew have the hours left.
The line between Manchester and Preston couldget busy!!
Ps I like the phrase ‘Hornby shunting puzzles’. That makes me smile while sat on what’s rapidly becoming the busiest train in the world!

jfollows

Established Member
Yup, sat there now!

Is there no option to reverse at Deansgate or Oxford Road? It seems odd us travelling to Piccadilly!
Platforms too short.
Deansgate P2 (the only one which could be used, but also the longer one anyway) 155m
Oxford Road P4 162m
9-car Pendolino 217.4m
11-car Pendolino 265m

Goofle

Platforms too short.
Deansgate P2 (the only one which could be used, but also the longer one anyway) 155m
Oxford Road P4 162m
9-car Pendolino 217.4m
11-car Pendolino 265m
Excuse the probable daft question but does that mean the crew need to walk outside the train rather than through?

jfollows

Established Member
Excuse the probable daft question but does that mean the crew need to walk outside the train rather than through?
And where does the driver stop the train before changing ends, given that it will have to be past the signal at the end of the platform to ensure the back end is clear of the signal for the opposite direction? But the crew would go through the train, of course, if necessary. It's just too messy, simpler to run through to Piccadilly and change ends using the amply long-enough platform as well as knowing where to stop.

Places where reversing occurs without platforms tend to have lineside signs denoting how many carriages are inside the limit for reversing, Wilmslow reversing siding has them for example. So the driver of a four-car train knows when to stop, and change ends inside the train. But the trains are usually empty of passengers for these also.

88 minutes late at Shap, 19:25 or later into Glasgow

Last edited:

Goofle

Thanks, very informative!
I’ve cancelled my 8pm meal. Takeaway curry for me it seems!

According to RTT this set is due to leave Glasgow for London in the next few minutes. I can’t see that happening, we’re not even in the right country yet!

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The overhead damage is between Wigan and Euxton Balshaw Lane.
9P65 11:43 Euston to Blackpool and a southbound freight standing in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.