• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Drivers Residential Status/Taxi Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I've done a search on the forum and can't find anything detailing what agreements there are for Avanti drivers concerning residential/non-residential status and taxis. I'd appreciate it if anyone in the know could please give me an idea of what agreements exist, either on the thread or via PM.

They seem to recruit for Euston a fair bit, though I very rarely see depots further north take on external qualified drivers, is this likely to change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railwayman101

Start before 0500 you get a taxi in. If you finish after 0130 (I think, or 0200) then it's taxi back home.

Tyrion

I've done a search on the forum and can't find anything detailing what agreements there are for Avanti drivers concerning residential/non-residential status and taxis. I'd appreciate it if anyone in the know could please give me an idea of what agreements exist, either on the thread or via PM.

They seem to recruit for Euston a fair bit, though I very rarely see depots further north take on external qualified drivers, is this likely to change?
They are now advertising for most depots now (Talent Pool)

TTDARL

Avanti west coast now have several adverta for qualified Driver (TALENT POOL ONLY) at Manchester, London Euston, Liverpool, and Wolverhampton depots on their careers website. Also some other driver manager related vacancies also.

Railwayman101

I was successful last year after an interview and then placed in the talent pool.. there I say until the talent pool expiry came...and went.

Established Member

I must admit I’m surprised they only pay low £50ks for qualified drivers without routes/traction. That would represent a big pay cut for drivers moving across from the better paying London TOCs.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Interesting....

Is there much Rest Day Work at Avanti ? Is there a pay enhancement for rest day work hours or is it just the book on fee ?

What's the Earliest Book on time at Euston? Any parking there ?

TTDARL

Obviously old information since at least October 2019 but this shows flat rate plus a booking on payment. The yearly incremental pay claim was due May 2020 so things may have / may / will change in terms of salary, taxis, London allowance, rest day working (RDW), terms and conditions, etc.

Attachments

• F4E1CF58-ED20-4C95-98FA-94A82AAA755A.png
    F4E1CF58-ED20-4C95-98FA-94A82AAA755A.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 178

choochoochoo

Established Member
Thanks, I saw the ASLEF info, but it's all out of date for the TOC I'm at, so must be out of date for Avanti. Especially as it is still down as Virgin. So hoping someone who works there might be able to help.

Gekko5154

I don't work for them but a few colleagues have recently went over. No London allowance for new starters and rdw is paid at £125

choochoochoo

Established Member
Ok so rest day work is flat rate plus 125 pounds sign on?

Are they enjoying it at Euston ? Anything they miss about their old job?

TTDARL

That can’t be right about new starters not getting the London allowance surely, when every other Avanti Euston driver is.....

TTDARL

@Gekko5154, are your ex colleagues new starters as in trainee train drivers as oppose to already qualified train drivers? This might explain the taking away of the London allowance.

Last edited:

TTDARL

@Gekko5154, no no that’s fine. Having looked at the separate depot adverts, the London Euston AVANTI Driver salary scale is higher than the other non London depots and London drivers reach the top salary in a year as oppose to 2 years at all the other non London depots. So the London allowance appears to be built into the main salary scale for London Euston Avanti drivers. So that explains that one!

Last edited:

Economist

Thank you all for the replies on this, it's given me plenty of information to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.