• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Heavily Discounted First Class Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I know TTK can scan them now, and since Northern's magical box of e-ticket validity is supplied by TTK I would guess they also use TTK for ticket scanning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I don't see how they could not accept a perfectly valid ticket. They'd need to cancel the ticket, notify customer and refund the money for the ticket to become invalid.

And they can only do that if the price is 'manifestly incorrect', so it basically needs to be so cheap that it's unbelievable. So, for example, if Currys listed a TV for £3.99 instead of £399 they could cancel the order and claim that applies. For a £7 train ticket to be 'manifestly incorrect' I would think that they would have needed to have never sold tickets in that sort of price range, even during sales and promotions.

Buzby

Having done this trip (a nice day to visit Stafford!) what surprised me was I was asked within 20 minutes of departure for my ticket - showing my QR code no scanning took place and he was no wiser where `I was going after leaving me. At Preston, and a staff change the same again - no scanning but asked where I was getting off. On arrival at Stafford there was no visible gate line but there were 4 ticket inspectors blocking the platform exit and everyone was scanned, and I got the ok to exit.

On the return journey, again a non-scanning glance and asked if I was going ‘all the way’. There was no ticket check on arrival. The journey was excellent, on time and comfy, the food edible and service attentive. Indeed my opinion of AWC increased immeasurably, even if they hadn’t planned to offer bargain tickets!

banksywhoshe

Northern guard’s definitely can’t scan railcards. I’m revenue for northern. We use Star

Status
Not open for further replies.