• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti off-peak tickets used on Thursday instead of Friday due to strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

erk

There are no Avanti trains this Friday (12 May), but they advertise that tickets dated Friday can be used on the day before. These tickets have no time restrictions on Fridays, but do on Thursdays. The question is, can a ticket dated Friday be used at any time on the Thursday?

I asked at the Avanti information desk at Euston. The answer was that "as far as he knew" the restrictions did not apply (i.e. the ticket could be used between 1500 and 1844).

I also asked customer services through the Avanti web site. Their answer is that "the ticket can only be used in Off-Peak times if you choose to travel the day before."

Is there a way to get a definitive answer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pwharley

The Avanti Twitter feed has several people asking about travelling the day before.
The replies are typically "Yes, you can travel, but aim to do so around the time of your journey planned for the 12th".
So stick with your original travel times for Friday when travelling on Thursday.

mangyiscute

Established Member
If I'm totally honest, I would expect hassle and difficulties if you try to travel during peak time with an off peak ticket - I am fully on your side that it should be allowed, but I also do not trust TOCs to apply this sort of common sense.
I would suggest asking on twitter as they usually reply very quickly, and then if they do give you the go ahead, if you are questioned while travelling, you can show them the dms on twitter as proof. I would try to obtain some sort of written proof that you have been advised that this is allowed before travelling

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unfortunately I'd have to concur with the others here, in that whilst in theory you should be allowed to travel subject to the same conditions as would apply on your intended date of travel, you may encounter difficulties doing this in practice.

The train companies are providing very little by way of ticket acceptance and alternatives during the strikes. They know they'll get away with it, even though it's not remotely in keeping with their obligations such as to allow you to travel on another date of your convenience - not the railway's - subject to comparable conditions (e.g. in the "morning peak" if you were going to do that originally).

Status
Not open for further replies.