• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Premium

Trackman

Established Member
Standard Premium is an unwelcome distraction to Avanti addressing its more pressing problems.
I think it's a cracking idea, VT missed a trick with this with a lot of air carrying MK3 Firsts. OK, weekend Firsts were still going , but that wasn't promoted very well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
100% -- people wanting a table seat with a socket on a train arriving in the capital between 8-8:30am -- a no brainer, surely.

The one thing they could do with adding would be the ability to book an upgrade in advance, as it is pretty busy these days! Upgrading is a key part of the appeal as many larger businesses won't let you book 1st directly even if you would pay the difference.

I suppose you can use Seatfrog but it's a bit niche and doesn't allow seat selection (it's all about the 1 side for me! :) )

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The one thing they could do with adding would be the ability to book an upgrade in advance, as it is pretty busy these days! Upgrading is a key part of the appeal as many larger businesses won't let you book 1st directly even if you would pay the difference.

I suppose you can use Seatfrog but it's a bit niche and doesn't allow seat selection (it's all about the 1 side for me! :) )
If you have booked through the app or website you have the ability to self upgrade yourself already to either SP or 1st in most cases.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you have booked through the app or website you have the ability to self upgrade yourself already to either SP or 1st in most cases.

Most business travellers have tickets booked for them or have to use a corporate portal so this option isn't open to them - that was my point!

Also, not if you use walk-up tickets - all that's being done in the case you mention is a change of Advance*, and often it's more expensive than doing it on board. I was more referring to something a bit like LNER's seat reservation thing but allowing you to select "I have a Standard ticket" and pay just the flat upgrade. To be fair it'd be a start for Avanti to offer a seat reservation tool like LNER does!

* It may let you change an Off Peak Single to an Advance Single but I'd rather gouge my eyes out than do that :)