• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti reintroduce slip coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
I see Avanti West Coast has revived the old GWR practice of slip-coaches.
From
their journey-check:-

05:49 Holyhead to London Euston due 09:35 has been delayed at Chester and is now 19 minutes late.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Will be formed of 9 coaches instead of 10 between Cheddington and London Euston. This train will run in reverse formation between Chester and London Euston. First class now located in the centre.
Last Updated:24/05/2023 07:56

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
:lol:

(... or they've just locked a coach out of use/done a set swap to a 9-car pendo)

Welshman

Established Member
I know -being serious now, it seems the problem was at Chester joining the Holyhead and Wrexham portions, as the train was some 20 mins late leaving there.
Journey check confused "Cheddington" with "Chester"
The idea of slipping at Cheddington did cause a wry chuckle though. ;)

zwk500

Veteran Member
I know -being serious now, it seems the problem was at Chester joining the Holyhead and Wrexham portions, as the train was some 20 mins late leaving there.
Journey check confused "Cheddington" with "Chester"
The idea of slipping at Cheddington did cause a wry chuckle though. ;)
Would certainly have surprised a few people! HSTs could occasionally detach a defective coach en-route.

Adrian1980uk

I see Avanti West Coast has revived the old GWR practice of slip-coaches.
From
their journey-check:-

05:49 Holyhead to London Euston due 09:35 has been delayed at Chester and is now 19 minutes late.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Will be formed of 9 coaches instead of 10 between Cheddington and London Euston. This train will run in reverse formation between Chester and London Euston. First class now located in the centre.
Last Updated:24/05/2023 07:56
First class is now in the centre because we turned the train round as opposed to what?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Would I be right in guessing that you can no longer reverse a HST+5 down a running line onto a stationary HST+1?
I don't see any reason why not so long as there is a lookout in the rear vehicle in communication with the driver, the move is appropriately controlled/signalled and Permissive Working is authorised for the line involved.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
:lol:

(... or they've just locked a coach out of use/done a set swap to a 9-car pendo)
I hope they didn't try to swap it at Chester to a Pendolino, unless it was being dragged. ;)

Trust says it was a door fault. No idea of details/specifics. Presumably a coach was locked out of use.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I hope they didn't try to swap it at Chester to a Pendolino, unless it was being dragged. ;)

Trust says it was a door fault. No idea of details/specifics. Presumably a coach was locked out of use.
Well the original message says the step from 10 to 9 only happened at Cheddington, although quite what passengers would have thought about being booted off and over to the other platform in the middle of a field in Bucks I don't know :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well the original message says the step from 10 to 9 only happened at Cheddington, although quite what passengers would have thought about being booted off and over to the other platform in the middle of a field in Bucks I don't know :lol:

I suspect someone typed "che" and picked the wrong option in the list that popped up.

Irascible

Established Member
Indeed! From way back in 1999 at Darlington Virgin XC doing so was caught on video:

A missed opportunity to drive both ends away from the dead coach & back them together in a platform, I think! good lord no wonder XC was constantly hours late back then...

The vid needs to go into the "station announcements" thread, I could maybe make out every other word...

william.martin

On Moderation
So I guess they are swapping the 221 however the only one they have is one facing the wrong way? (the only way possible unless they half the first class facilities.)

Welshman

Established Member
The train is formed of 2 Voyagers. The Wrexham one arrives in Chester first and awaits the Holyhead one to join at the rear.
I suspect the Wrexham 221 was in reverse formation, ie First Class at the back, and the Holyhead in the right formation, ie First Class at the front.
So in the combined train, first class would be in the middle.
Then it seems that the effort of coupling meant that power to the doors was lost in one of the first-class coaches[don't ask me how!]. So it was locked out at Chester, passengers moved to the other, and the train went forward with 9 out of 10 coaches available for passengers at Crewe and Stafford.

That's my theory anyway. I'm just waiting for someone more knowlegable to come along and tell my I'm totally wrong.

Idiotic

I saw it at Stafford this morning with the leading coach locked out. More than likely a door fault that resulted in the coach having to be locked out of use.

Boodiggy

That is correct. A coach was locked out of use due to a door fault

Status
Not open for further replies.