• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti ticket sales suspension - Making users think it isn't possible to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed. And something worse is: when Avanti ticketa are blocked, other alternatives are not shown as well, such as LNR+TfW ticket from London to Manchester, or LNER ticket from London to Glasgow.
That's not helpful.

It's very easy to use LNR's site and select to show their trains only. I suspect it'd be illegal for them to put "show all trains except Avanti" as an option (though I think as an impartial retailer Trainsplit will do that?).

Those LNR+TfW tickets are a bit of an oddity, there's no really nice way to make them work.

Though with so many cancellations and with compulsory reservations seemingly sticking around, it probably would make sense to change the accreditation rules so that if a train is cancelled or full and a slower alternative would arrive before the next fast train it must show that too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8hoursbehind

We have advance tickets on Avanti to return home on Sunday evening, but now have no idea whether our train will be running. As one of our party is on crutches (due to an accident that happened long after we booked the tickets) it is quite important that we find out as soon as possible what is actually going to run.

If our train isn#'t one of those running, will our tickets be honoured on other trains and will we be able to reserve seats (or at least one!)?
Coach C, seat 1 and 2 next to the TM office -assuming that it's a pendolino are kept free for customers with mobility issues.

XAM2175

Established Member
(though I think as an impartial retailer Trainsplit will do that?)
Yes, Transplit's advanced settings can be configured to exclude one or more operators as the user wishes. Excluding Avanti has long been a favourite of mine :p

david1212

Established Member
Yes, defaulting to "sold out" is lazy and perpetuates the confusing messaging.

No if you read on it says they will release tickets on a rolling weekly basis, a week in advance., from next Sunday.

I have just looked Euston > Birmingham for afternoon Monday 15th, just 3 clear days ahead.

Avanti website shows ' Sold Out ' except one service with a change that is Avanti to Rugby then LMR to Birmingham.

For the direct Avanti services National Rail website shows exclaimation mark in a yellow triangle with popup that
the timetable for this date may not have been confirmed
( my bold ).

The facts and services that actually will run or even likely to actually run .......

Andrew*Debbie

Yep I wanted to book Euston to Stockport on Saturday when I got up at 5am. Not only was the first train 8:20am but both it and the 9:20 said Sold Out!

Of course I booked the 10:20 Off Peak ticket and travelled on the 8:20 but I've not ever seen Sold Out trains before

That happedned to us before the suspension. Trying to book EUS -> BNG 6 August on the 11:10 (Change at Crewe to TfW). The 11:10 and several others came up as sold out. Booked the earliest afternoon train I could as an off-peak return.

The 11:10 was cancled on the day and then reinstated. Turned up at Euston to find it comprised of 2-sets with plenty of available seats. ???

One knock on is full TfW trains. On our BNG-CTR leg there was no standing room left. No one was able to board from Abergele to Chester.

I can only imagine this will get worse with whatever reduced timetable they put in place.

dk1

Veteran Member
It's not just Avanti, I notice EMR services from Manchester to Liverpool today are showing as 'sold out'.
I don’t think EMR want to encourage any more use on this already heavily used route. There’s the chance that unit shortages will make matters worse too in not being able to ‘double up’ services. It’s going to be grim at the Eastern end too with no GA services between Norwich-Ely & Ely-Peterborough.

modernrail

I am going to be writing to the ORR about this.

You are entitled to catch any train in the UK if you have an appropriate ticket for that service. That does not have to be advance ticket with a seat reservation. You do not need a seat reservation to travel. If you turn up to a train without a seat reservation you take your chances with getting a seat.

The current situation is ridiculous. I have taken a decision not to have a car and use the train as a method of transport, not to pre-plan the odd day out. It doesn’t function as a method of transport if you are locked out of buying a ticket at the main points of sale.

The way it should work is as I think LNER does it where you are told there are no reserved seats available and so you are not guaranteed a seat, but the fare is still available. It is a lie to say it is not available because that is not true and the TOCs know it not to be true. That is what a lie is.

If trains are ‘selling out’ then the TOCs need to stop selling as many promotional advance fares whilst they run reduced timetables, to allow more space for full fare paying passengers who need to use the service as a system of transport. Otherwise people just stop being able to rely on it and so go and buy cars.

It has also come in as an unannounced incremental change and in some TOCs only.

I don’t care about mixing desks etc etc. All ticket points of sales should be offering the full price fares, with s warning on seat availability if necessary.

Also, these trains are not fullly booked, they have unreserved carriages. So that is also a lie. I was on a so called fully booked Avanti service last week and the unreserved carriage was half empty.

The ORR has the following function:

• making sure that train operating companies provide reliable and timely passenger information for planning travel – and take action when things go wrong
That is clearly not happening with this ‘sold out’ nonsense.

Also every pound of lost revenue with this mess, strikes etc is a pound less in the pot to pay anybody for anything. If demand is super high, throttle back on advance fares, get as many higher paying passengers as you can on there, make some bloody money. We have plenty of railcards to give decent discounts to relevant groups.

If you want to get even more tickets out for sale, shift the advance fares onto the super peak services where there seems to be plenty of room available. I just did a search for a couple of Avanti routes for next week. Guess what, loads of standard class availability at anytime peak fares, then when you get into the off peak, it suddenly dries up and the site is saying only standard premium or first are available.

If peak anytime demand recovers (I don’t think it ever will in the new world), then you can wind down the advance fares on those services without any fuss at all and in the meantime you can price them at around the same as full price off peak.

None if this is remotely rocket science. It just seems that all in involved can’t really be arsed working together to get the detail right.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
It's not just Avanti, I notice EMR services from Manchester to Liverpool today are showing as 'sold out'.
EMR are absolutely stuffed with unit shortages today. Yesterday at Skegness was a nearly rioting with many 2 car services. Today Skegness and Liverpool trains have attempted to be protected, resulting in cancellations on Newark Crewe, Barton and Leicester Grimsby (apart from Barton all very full trains themselves on a Saturday) due to there being no trains available.

Opposite problem at EMR - very few issues with train crew availability, massive shortage of trains.

modernrail

Another point on this (and sorry, I have many, because I think it is utterly ridiculous), is that it is the complete opposite of what is intended by moving onto management contracts.

TOCs are effectively favouring their own promotional advance fares over nationally available fares, as the advance fares tend to be the ones purchased earlier in time. That is a nonsense. One if the points of moving to management contracts is to protect the GB Rail element of the system and to reverse some of the unhelpful fragmentation. This is the opposite of that. Individual TOCs taking individual unaccountable decisions that do nothing fit with with Government’s stated intention of having a national system managed through well run individual management contracts.

Somebody at the DfT should be picking up on this pretty quickly and issuing a firm b*llocking for it, as it is also a revenue reducer.

I feared this sort of thing would happen in the stupid hiatus between ending franchising and having proper functioning contractual oversight from GBR.

Lots of damage is being done through a bunch if civil servants who clearly are not across any of the detail here.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I am going to be writing to the ORR about this.

You are entitled to catch any train in the UK if you have an appropriate ticket for that service. That does not have to be advance ticket with a seat reservation. You do not need a seat reservation to travel. If you turn up to a train without a seat reservation you take your chances with getting a seat.

The current situation is ridiculous. I have taken a decision not to have a car and use the train as a method of transport, not to pre-plan the odd day out. It doesn’t function as a method of transport if you are locked out of buying a ticket at the main points of sale.

The way it should work is as I think LNER does it where you are told there are no reserved seats available and so you are not guaranteed a seat, but the fare is still available. It is a lie to say it is not available because that is not true and the TOCs know it not to be true. That is what a lie is.

If trains are ‘selling out’ then the TOCs need to stop selling as many promotional advance fares whilst they run reduced timetables, to allow more space for full fare paying passengers who need to use the service as a system of transport. Otherwise people just stop being able to rely on it and so go and buy cars.

It has also come in as an unannounced incremental change and in some TOCs only.

I don’t care about mixing desks etc etc. All ticket points of sales should be offering the full price fares, with s warning on seat availability if necessary.

Also, these trains are not fullly booked, they have unreserved carriages. So that is also a lie. I was on a so called fully booked Avanti service last week and the unreserved carriage was half empty.

The ORR has the following function:

• making sure that train operating companies provide reliable and timely passenger information for planning travel – and take action when things go wrong
That is clearly not happening with this ‘sold out’ nonsense.

Also every pound of lost revenue with this mess, strikes etc is a pound less in the pot to pay anybody for anything. If demand is super high, throttle back on advance fares, get as many higher paying passengers as you can on there, make some bloody money. We have plenty of railcards to give decent discounts to relevant groups.

If you want to get even more tickets out for sale, shift the advance fares onto the super peak services where there seems to be plenty of room available. I just did a search for a couple of Avanti routes for next week. Guess what, loads of standard class availability at anytime peak fares, then when you get into the off peak, it suddenly dries up and the site is saying only standard premium or first are available.

If peak anytime demand recovers (I don’t think it ever will in the new world), then you can wind down the advance fares on those services without any fuss at all and in the meantime you can price them at around the same as full price off peak.

None if this is remotely rocket science. It just seems that all in involved can’t really be arsed working together to get the detail right.
Indeed after all how many times have heard on here “you aren’t sold a seat you are sold a ticket”

317 forever

Established Member
Indeed. And something worse is: when Avanti ticketa are blocked, other alternatives are not shown as well, such as LNR+TfW ticket from London to Manchester, or LNER ticket from London to Glasgow.
That's not helpful.
I've read about the LNWR + TfW ticket on here. However, when I look up Stockport - London Euston on Trainsplit even with timings for that pair of operators, I don't see that combined ticket advertised.

With for example Avanti Manchester trains reduced to 1 in 3, there could be specific hours when there were already too many passengers booked to accommodate them all, even before other passengers were to try to arrange to travel then.

317 forever

Established Member
Unfortunately that ticket doesn’t exist from Stockport.
OK that explains it. I wonder whether it would be possible to buy a MAN - EUS combined LNWR/TfW ticket and just get on or off at SPT?

My current intention is to split my ticket at STA.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The 11:10 was cancled on the day and then reinstated. Turned up at Euston to find it comprised of 2-sets with plenty of available seats. ???
This is fairly inevitable under the current circumstances. So few tickets are being sold that in some cases you'll have a full length train with hardly anyone on it.

Most people take "sold out" to mean no availability now or in the future. If the only thing that shows up is "sold out" the person isn't going to turn up at the station anyway and try to get a flexible ticket from the ticket office are they? They are simply not going to travel by rail. Therefore some trains are exceptionally busy, as you found, and others run almost empty.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Unfortunately that ticket doesn’t exist from Stockport.
It's permitted to buy it from Manchester and travel from Stockport or Wilmslow instead if you wish to though.

EMR are absolutely stuffed with unit shortages today. Yesterday at Skegness was a nearly rioting with many 2 car services. Today Skegness and Liverpool trains have attempted to be protected, resulting in cancellations on Newark Crewe, Barton and Leicester Grimsby (apart from Barton all very full trains themselves on a Saturday) due to there being no trains available.

Opposite problem at EMR - very few issues with train crew availability, massive shortage of trains.
Could try doing a TfW and hiring some GWR 158s. Not a lot of other work for them. Bit far, though :lol:

Established Member

Sadly the intercity/connect bit of EMR is up the swanny. Cable theft this morning and various heat related issues.

317 forever

Established Member
Yes, that would be possible. The ticket can be purchased for the same price at the station on day of travel.
Thank you for this assurance. I've just worked out that it would be cheaper to buy this ticket, plus a separate Single from Crewe to Stockport valid on Northern if I wish to get home sooner, than to split my ticket at Stafford like I initially intended. There are also no afternoon peak restrictions!

To digress, I haven't been on a refurb TfW class 175 yet and may therefore now have the opportunity to do so.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
To save making a new thread..

I notice that Avanti tomorrow have a fare anomaly looking at prices of single fares between Manchester and London:.

14:10 departure from Manchester Piccadilly:

Standard Off Peak Single- £68.60
First Off Peak Single- £169.30
Standard Premium Advance single- £209.70.

philjo

Established Member
Does anyone know when the tickets for Friday 26th August will be available again?
I am wanting to book to Church Stretton. It is an off peak return Letchworth to Church Stretton.
I usually get the 0907 from Euston and change at Crewe. Or 0846 LNWR to Crewe.
Alternative options seem to be going via Paddington and Newport but that leaves the lottery of 90 minutes on TfW which is likely to be a 2coach train without being able to reserve a seat.

TUC

Established Member
I am surprised that other TOCs are not taking Avanti to task for damaging their revenue streams by the inaccurate information provided.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
To save making a new thread..

I notice that Avanti tomorrow have a fare anomaly looking at prices of single fares between Manchester and London:.

14:10 departure from Manchester Piccadilly:

Standard Off Peak Single- £68.60
First Off Peak Single- £169.30
Standard Premium Advance single- £209.70.
Isn't that the normal Off Peak Single price?

cuccir

Established Member
Just adding those who find this incredibly frustrating. It makes it very difficult to find out prices for planning trips: I know to use BR Fares to have a sense of what fares might exist, but I've encountered others who've made plans for future trips via car rather than rail because they can't access basic information as to how much a journey might cost. If you don't know whether a journey will cost you £30 or £200 it makes it very difficult to plan.

It should be possible to both list and sell flexible Off-Peak/Anytime fares, without reservations, and there should be a minimum window (4 weeks before travel?) when retailers are obliged to sell these tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just adding those who find this incredibly frustrating. It makes it very difficult to find out prices for planning trips: I know to use BR Fares to have a sense of what fares might exist, but I've encountered others who've made plans for future trips via car rather than rail because they can't access basic information as to how much a journey might cost. If you don't know whether a journey will cost you £30 or £200 it makes it very difficult to plan.

It should be possible to both list and sell flexible Off-Peak/Anytime fares, without reservations, and there should be a minimum window (4 weeks before travel?) when retailers are obliged to sell these tickets.

To be fair Avanti/LNER/TPE are trying to manage expectations by not selling tickets nominally "for" trains that don't or may not exist. But the approach is cack-handed in the extreme, because it was bodged in rather than properly designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.