• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Chippychips

Just did VSE, made a 4/5 errors on part 3 when we have to do both tasks at the same time. Did anyone else find it difficult aswell?
Thats a good score. Nothing to worry about if what you're saying is true.
It was difficult but thats how its designed. Its designed for you to not get a perfect score and prioritise the main task.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brum_AVFC

Still waiting to hear for Wolverhampton. I know some have already heard back from this depot which does worry me slightly but fingers crossed they're still working through them.
I’m waiting too but no stress, on my last application I got my email of Success weeks after some people got theirs, just gotta wait it out mate

Thunderpantz

Just completed my VSE, part 1 I found easy and nailed. Part 2 had 7 errors (2 genuine missclicks and the rest my brain completely forgetting that yes is bad and no is good) and about 9 errors on part 3. Seemed to go a little 'spicy' in the last quarter of the test :D

DanielWhitt

Just completed my VSE, part 1 I found easy and nailed. Part 2 had 7 errors (2 genuine missclicks and the rest my brain completely forgetting that yes is bad and no is good) and about 9 errors on part 3. Seemed to go a little 'spicy' in the last quarter of the test :D
I've just completed the same, I think I got 100 % on the first and second tests, and then the third test, I got most right on the left screen, maybe missed one or two and missed a few on the other screen but the last time I did this test, I had an email back straight away saying I was an arse and ballsed it right up and go away and try again. So the longer I don't get an email, the better for me

Roobear

Can anyone explain what the 3 parts are for the next round? The VSE? What did you have to do? Is it timed?

ThePeakNed

Go well?

Kooch

The first 5. I’m just glad to have found out tbh. Totally understand if I’m not suited to the job
It's just a game this stage, you need to know the rules of the game!
No doubt a lot of people on here are playing it with their cards well close to their chest.
But its a game, and your playing against a computer at the moment - not against each other!!!
Its not that you are 'unsuited' to the role - you just dont know how to prioritise the requirements of the game etc...
Tbf, neither do I - I've just had a punt... but I have gone through selection processes in other industries, and it's all a game.
KPI's, skillsets, risk awareness, they can all be learnt, please don't think it comes naturally to all, it doesn't... they've just learn how to play the game.
If I don't get through the sift, I'll have a better prepared go next time as I am sure you will - chin up!

Spincity

I think that's a shame. Just because someone is able to pass a test, doesn't make them suitable for a job. A bit like exams at school, some people may not be academically minded but in a workplace situation, blossom. Please also remember, a lot of the older train drivers never had to pass these tests, and pretty much turned up and were given a job, but does that make them bad train drivers, or train drivers with an awful lot of experience. I also believe the railway are loosing out on a lot of talent because of these selection processes. I feel people who keep trying in the face of not passing tests because it’s a dream for them, more credit to them, because they will get there eventually. Everyone just needs support.
Like many jobs, people go through a selection process to test aptitude/abilities etc there is plenty of evidence that using the correct tools will select the more capable person. But what evidence have you got that if someone fails the tests they would have been more suitable for drivers. Atleast a selection process will reduce nepotism, which I’ve witnessed in the rail industry.

Kooch

Like many jobs, people go through a selection process to test aptitude/abilities etc there is plenty of evidence that using the correct tools will select the more capable person. But what evidence have you got that if someone fails the tests they would have been more suitable for drivers. Atleast a selection process will reduce nepotism, which I’ve witnessed in the rail industry.
Good points… the issue I have found is people train and train, practise and practise to pass an almost set criteria.
You then employ them… then you find the real ‘them’ and you have given yourself a 40 year headache.
It’s the training teams responsibility to train them, I mean, after all, they passed selection process right?
… and some of the decent ones, who didn’t know the rules of the game, miss out when they were the better candidate with miles more natural ability.

neilkil78

Applied for Liverpool and Manchester. Assessment deadline was 14th, completed a day earlier. Not had anything for second assessment invites, so preparing for the worst, but still hoping...

irish_rail

Established Member
Things have definitely changed in railway recruitment over the years. My OH has been a driver for over 30 years, worked for Virgin and now Avanti and he's said it's likely that even he wouldn't make it through even the initial tests!
He was talking to the guy who owns the OPC a couple of weeks ago and he told him that half the people that DO get through at this stage SHOULDN'T!!
The whole process just blows my mind to be honest.
The railway is like pretty much every other industry now, in that they can pick and choose down to the very last detail what they want from people due to massive over subscription for every vacancy.
Anyway, good luck to those still waiting, and I hope we all hear back either way very soon!

Agree 100%
Have things changed for the better though? At a certain TOC , their driver incidents have absolutely gone through the roof in past 2 years. Yes there are a multitude of factors around that, but there's no escaping the fact that TOC has many fresh faced brand new drivers.

Penny

Has everyone here applying for Liverpool heard either way now?

Anyone applying for Manchester heard anything either way yet?

I've more or less convinced myself it's a no for me, so not half as stressed as I have been this last week or so, but it'd be nice to be able to draw a line under it all.

Bazzzzz

Have things changed for the better though? At a certain TOC , their driver incidents have absolutely gone through the roof in past 2 years. Yes there are a multitude of factors around that, but there's no escaping the fact that TOC has many fresh faced brand new drivers.
It was everybody’s first day once.

mirb2

@Penny I applied for Manchester. I did the first round of tests on 9 Mar, with a deadline of 14th and I've heard nothing. The whole process is going to take a long time, so not stressed about it at all. God only knows how many they are processing but it all takes time.

IH73

Liverpool also, deadline was the 14th, completed on the 12th and nothing heard either, we're still in it till we hear otherwise

DanielWhitt

I don't doubt for a minute that these tests will get you a certain amount of drivers who with training will be naturally more suited to the job than someone who may have to work at it a little more, but that doesn't mean to say they are any more suited than someone else but struggles with tests. My point being that that half of the Drivers Trainers in the rail industry haven't sat these tests and have gained the knowledge via experience, gained over a period of time, they have also moved with the times, adapted and overcome new technology and the ability to use newer train equipment, which inherently are more complicated and take more knowledge to run, but have still been able to do it, without the need for testing. The problem is, which is the same for most industries, companies with a limited number of job and massive amount of applications, are able to cherry pick the very best but these are the very best at passing tests, not who will necessarily be the better train driver, in this instance. I'm A HGV driver by trade, and we have a driver shortage in the industry, wages have gone through the roof, and the hauliers believe now that because they have more applications that they know what to do with, they place these massive employment processes and tasks, testing days etc, in an attempt to select the best of the best, to cut down on damages, accidents, incidents and legal issues, but all they have done is found people who can pass a test. The issue is they are useless drivers when left alone and have caused more damage, accidents and incidents in recent years that they know what to deal with, including drivers who once they become employed, portray a very different outlook than they did during the interview, especially when it comes to safety and legal compliance, which in industries such as this as well as hgv driving, safety is paramount.

MAL79

Did my online assessments for Wolves. Had a meltdown this morning as my email account crashed and said cannot send or receive email. This thread has restored my sanity as I'm guessing its a little too early to hear back? My deadline for the online assessments was the 15th.