• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Rail455

Not sure if anyone’s already mentioned the same thing so apologies if so.

I’ve received an unsuccessful email on Monday however got 2 28 day emails today.

Has anyone already been rejected and then received these emails?

I’m assuming this is just a mix up and not to look into it in any way.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wasaconductor

Try with a different TOC, you may find it's the Avanti process that isn't perfect for you rather than the role - I've previously passed testing at WMT and TfW but never made it past the first assessments with Avanti until this time
I can see your with wmr where's your depot as I used to work there but got shafted like hard see if you can figure out who I am lol

nolypops83

Not sure if anyone’s already mentioned the same thing so apologies if so.

I’ve received an unsuccessful email on Monday however got 2 28 day emails today.

Has anyone already been rejected and then received these emails?

I’m assuming this is just a mix up and not to look into it in any way.

Thanks
Did you apply for more than one depot? I'd just contact them and ask them to clarify.

Sawasdee

I wanted this 100% but I'm not prepared to put myself through this process again. I'm worth more than that.

I think some people applied for this without actually looking into what the process involved. There was a lot of frustration at having to wait up to 2 weeks for a response from stage 1. The time spent waiting for emails only gets longer the further you progress.

Harvinder

I think some people applied for this without actually looking into what the process involved. There was a lot of frustration at having to wait up to 2 weeks for a response from stage 1. The time spent waiting for emails only gets longer the further you progress.
I have applied for trainee tram driver, been waiting for more than three months from the online test!! Its bloody unprofessional! I was told just to be patient, for how long! i want some answers

nolypops83

Even if applying for more than one depot you only sit the one test, so you could infer rejection from the others too. Unless they are rejecting some based on depot. Interestingly I haven’t seen a single successful Manchester applicant yet, they are all rejections or 28 days (or bafflingly both). All very strange
I just ask because I go 2 x 28 day emails and applied for 2 depots. Might just be an error and have nothing to do with where I applied. Who knows, but OPC will be able to confirm.

nolypops83

The thing is if emails are being sent out in error, how can any of us have any degree of confidence they have been sent the correct one?

People are getting success and rejection emails simultaneously and then being told to wait 28 days. How can anyone know what is going on here, it’s a complete farce
1 person has had conflicting emails. Feel free to check it with the OPC if you think yours is wrong.

Archvile

Forgive me, but this is better than Monty Python. You've got people getting upset about being given advice, then when those same people get given the boot for what are clearly incompatible personality traits, it's all the fault of the nasty, ill-designed tests :D

This thread needs a blood pressure check post haste with all the salt being thrown around!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Is not a long time in railway recruitment. TfW is pretty well run and they still have hordes waiting to testing dates from October....

Indeed. Especially for such a hotly sought after role. I would always encourage people to continue on with their lives, whilst of course sharing updates as and when they come.

badger85

Liverpool applicant here, just received an email inviting me to stage one assessments in Crewe on the 4th April. M7/VSE deadline was today but completed at the weekend. Good luck to all those still waiting!

y4d344

Liverpool applicant here, just received an email inviting me to stage one assessments in Crewe on the 4th April. M7/VSE deadline was today but completed at the weekend. Good luck to all those still waiting!
Congratulations mate! Good luck on the assessments

nolypops83

Congratulations! Best of luck with the assessments.

Gc85

Wow you’re moving through fast well done and good luck

jdwmfc

Congratulations,

Can I ask how quickly did you do the initial five tests after your invite?

IW22

Good luck mate ,hope it goes well for you.

kajojek3232

Is not a long time in railway recruitment. TfW is pretty well run and they still have hordes waiting to testing dates from October....
3 months is nothing. For those of you guys who actually manage to get the job the courses won’t start until I bet September AT LEAST.

badger85

How did you find the VSE ?
The first exercise was fine. Second one I got about 3-4 wrong and the third (1 and 2 together) I made about 5-6 errors but followed the instructions on priority.

Congratulations,

Can I ask how quickly did you do the initial five tests after your invite?
Cheers! I received the invite for the initial 5 tests on the 9th, completed them on the 11th. Received email for M7 and VSE on the 17th, completed on the 18th.

Wow you’re moving through fast well done and good luck
Thanks mate. Yeah, quite surprising given the amount of time people seem to be waiting. Luck of the draw I suppose!

Good luck mate ,hope it goes well for you.
Thanks mate

Penny

Forgive me, but this is better than Monty Python. You've got people getting upset about being given advice, then when those same people get given the boot for what are clearly incompatible personality traits, it's all the fault of the nasty, ill-designed tests :D

This thread needs a blood pressure check post haste with all the salt being thrown around!
Incompatible personality traits? Really?
NTS mean naff all when it comes to driving a train!

If that was indeed the case then how do you explain the thousands of drivers who have quite safely and successfully managed to drive trains for years before the OPC got involved?

Last edited by a moderator:

kajojek3232

Courses wont be until next year at the earliest.
Even I was too unenthusiastic here. If people look at the other Avanti thread from October, quite a lot of them haven’t even had their interviews yet. So yeah, you’re correct.

Just done my VSE and M7SJT. VSE I actually found to be really fun, made 4 mistakes in the 3rd part and that’s all so I got my fingers crossed for that one.

M7SJT? That? That was horrible. All the answers were so different yet so similar and I am almost certain if I fail, it’ll be on that one.

DanielWhitt

I'm still waiting for an answer on the M7SJT and VSE, but for me I found it the other way round, I found the questions fairly easy and the vse was the harder of the two. On the vse, I got everything right on both the first and second test, and then think I prioritised the track over the symbols but got about 5 or 6 symbols wrong because of that, so just waiting now to see.

Established Member
NTS mean naff all when it comes to driving a train!

This certainly isn’t true.

If that was indeed the case then how do you explain the thousands of drivers who have quite safely and successfully managed to drive trains for years before the OPC got involved?

Probably because they have a good level of NTS, even if they weren’t called that years ago!