• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvinder

Thank you, you must really sleep well before the tests, this is very important. The 2 handed coordination you must practice the most, if you have a joystick/controller play some obstacle games.

JohnnyOne

Thank you, you must really sleep well before the tests, this is very important. The 2 handed coordination you must practice the most, if you have a joystick/controller play some obstacle games.
Well done Harvinder. Got mine at the end of the month, mostly worried about the CBI and coming up with some relevant answers, how did you find that part?

Harvinder

Well done Harvinder. Got mine at the end of the month, mostly worried about the CBI and coming up with some relevant answers, how did you find that part
Thank you, I have lots of experience in safety related work experience and working alone. You can use extracurricular activities in the CBI. The interviewer makes you feel at ease which helps a lot!

Chippychips

Crazy how some people have completed the process whilst others haven't even, or barely just got started!
I suppose OPC did say Avanti are recruiting through the year so that means it could be October/November before some people even get an invite for assessment, whilst the early ones are in the Talent Pool keeping their seat warm.

Well done to those who made it.
Good luck to those still in the mix too.

badger85

Crazy how some people have completed the process whilst others haven't even, or barely just got started!
I suppose OPC did say Avanti are recruiting through the year so that means it could be October/November before some people even get an invite for assessment, whilst the early ones are in the Talent Pool keeping their seat warm.

Well done to those who made it.
Good luck to those still in the mix too.
Thanks buddy. It is very different from the group before us! Speaking to the OPC at my assessment, it did seem like they were busy with other TOCs so maybe that's part of the reason.

I imagine it'll be a while before I hear anything about a DMI and even longer IF I make it past that!

catmandoza

Thank you, I have lots of experience in safety related work experience and working alone. You can use extracurricular activities in the CBI. The interviewer makes you feel at ease which helps a lot!
That's good to know, CBI is what's stressing me out the most. I've been PC gaming for many years so the 2 handed co-ord test is well practiced lol

Shinigami

That's good to know, CBI is what's stressing me out the most. I've been PC gaming for many years so the 2 handed co-ord test is well practiced lol
Gaming helps massively with the majority of tests to be honest so you should be fine. A friend of mine with no interest in driving did all the practise tests with me for fun and scored the same as me purely because they game. Don’t stress about the CBI. Take it one step at a time. One of the guys in my recruitment drive was stressing about the CBI for ages and failed on the first test because he had a meltdown and never got to see the CBI that he was so panicked about. Don’t stress, take your time, focus on one thing at a time and use all available time to practice when you’re there. Any and all parts of your life can be used for the CBI. I know of a guy that was a pilot gave the most extravagant safety critical answers but still failed. I gave answers about my holidays and other seemingly unrelated things and past. Listen to the questions intently, answer the actual question and keep it relevant and maybe think of a few in advance that you can use and remember. Look online for how people have answered CBI questions and try to find equivalent examples from your life that you can use. Lastly, even though you’ve written them down at the start, if a better example comes to you when you’re being questioned, tell the interviewer and ask if they will allow you to give a different example. Good luck

FH.

Hello! Does anyone know if you will be contacted for the Manager Interview by email or phone call?

Furthermore, how long does it typically take for them to contact you?

Kind regards
Hi, I’m guessing it could be any? Some people have had emails and some have had phone calls. Someone mentioned that it landed in their spam folder so keep an eye on that too.

Not sure about timings is there nothing mentioned about this in the email from OPC after you passed your computer tests and CBI?
Thanks for your reply, Javhaid! Unfortunately, the OPC's email did not provide any additional information other than "Congrats” and “Avanti will contact you."

Last edited:

Spincity

Thanks for your reply, Javhaid! Unfortunately, the OPC's email did not provide any additional information other than "Avanti will contact you."

I would like to contact Avanti directly to inquire about their recruitment process timelines. Do you or anyone else know the best way to reach out to them? I have tried searching online but have only found Customer Service information, which were unable to assist me with recruitment-related queries.

Best regards
And if you contact Avanti, you’ll get a very similar answer. It’s been explained in the emails, you’ll will be kept informed of updates, different depots are being prioritised. You’ve put your application in, you’ve not received an email you’ve failed anything.

om1997

after all these years I have only just found this thread. Applied back in 2018 for virgin and was offered the apprenticeship in London but turned it down as not being able to afford to relocate, applied again in October for Avanti based out of Manchester in which my qualifications were 4 years and 6 months apart so had to resit the tests again and was successful for the 2nd time. both times the tests where the exact same with nothing different. I got my email congratulating me back in February and still waiting to hear back, from what I have heard it is most likely going to be start of 2024 for us so anyone who applied after looking more towards 2025

Sawasdee

Thanks for your reply, Javhaid! Unfortunately, the OPC's email did not provide any additional information other than "Avanti will contact you."

I would like to contact Avanti directly to inquire about their recruitment process timelines. Do you or anyone else know the best way to reach out to them? I have tried searching online but have only found Customer Service information, which were unable to assist me with recruitment-related queries.

Best regards
If you look in the last recruitment thread it will give you an idea of timescales.
If you’re waiting for a DMI date, I’d imagine it’s going to be many months away considering people are still waiting for theirs from last December.

Trainset33

after all these years I have only just found this thread. Applied back in 2018 for virgin and was offered the apprenticeship in London but turned it down as not being able to afford to relocate, applied again in October for Avanti based out of Manchester in which my qualifications were 4 years and 6 months apart so had to resit the tests again and was successful for the 2nd time. both times the tests where the exact same with nothing different. I got my email congratulating me back in February and still waiting to hear back, from what I have heard it is most likely going to be start of 2024 for us so anyone who applied after looking more towards 2025
Do you know how long it is before psychometrics are considered ‘out of date’ with Avanti?

catmandoza

Gaming helps massively with the majority of tests to be honest so you should be fine. A friend of mine with no interest in driving did all the practise tests with me for fun and scored the same as me purely because they game. Don’t stress about the CBI. Take it one step at a time. One of the guys in my recruitment drive was stressing about the CBI for ages and failed on the first test because he had a meltdown and never got to see the CBI that he was so panicked about. Don’t stress, take your time, focus on one thing at a time and use all available time to practice when you’re there. Any and all parts of your life can be used for the CBI. I know of a guy that was a pilot gave the most extravagant safety critical answers but still failed. I gave answers about my holidays and other seemingly unrelated things and past. Listen to the questions intently, answer the actual question and keep it relevant and maybe think of a few in advance that you can use and remember. Look online for how people have answered CBI questions and try to find equivalent examples from your life that you can use. Lastly, even though you’ve written them down at the start, if a better example comes to you when you’re being questioned, tell the interviewer and ask if they will allow you to give a different example. Good luck
That's awesome cheers, thanks for the info

om1997

Do you know how long it is before psychometrics are considered ‘out of date’ with Avanti?
I'm not sure individually, as I successfully passed everything my "qualifications" lasted 5 years but because of how long the process is anything over 4 years 6 months you need to resit as by the time you get onto the course your qualifications will be out of date. I'd say a rough guess of 2 years minimum for anything individually

Trainset33

I'm not sure individually, as I successfully passed everything my "qualifications" lasted 5 years but because of how long the process is anything over 4 years 6 months you need to resit as by the time you get onto the course your qualifications will be out of date. I'd say a rough guess of 2 years minimum for anything individually
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

I was told by the OPC it's 5 years for Avanti
Yeah that’s what I thought/ hoped. Thanks

badger85

I am wandering about this too? Do successful candidates receive their results sooner?
It was 4 days before I got my results. I don't think there's any pattern to it, just as and when they send the emails out. The last group had people hearing either the next day or 7 days later. Usual platitude applies, no news is good news!

It was 4 days before I got my results. I don't think there's any pattern to it, just as and when they send the emails out. The last group had people hearing either the next day or 7 days later. Usual platitude applies, no news is good news!
I no you have passed but how did you think you done after it I feel like I done alright but hard to judge

badger85

I no you have passed but how did you think you done after it I feel like I done alright but hard to judge
I came away thinking it went ok but as the time went on, I started to doubt myself over some of the responses. I genuinely didn't know whether I'd passed or failed until they told me. Fingers crossed you hear soon mate