• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Hensby92

Hi all

I've just had the email for the online assessments, so I've had a read through a few threads and gathered what I needed for these tests, however I do have a question related to further tests.

I am a Depot Driver with Northern and passed my psychometrics to enhanced standard in August 20 for my current role, does anyone have a similar experience and know which, if any, parts of the testing process they may want resitting?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Riddy

Hi All,
Just received my OPC invitation for Manchester. For those who have completed the OPC questions, how long did it take you from start to finish. Only reason I ask is so that I can tell the kids to leave me alone for enough time to get them completed without distraction. Cheers and good luck everyone!

Pantalonas

Hi All,
Just received my OPC invitation for Manchester. For those who have completed the OPC questions, how long did it take you from start to finish. Only reason I ask is so that I can tell the kids to leave me alone for enough time to get them completed without distraction. Cheers and good luck everyone!
Heya - someone else has just completed it and said you can log in/out after each section. Obviously once a test has started you can't stop halfway through.
I have mine to do too so good luck!

PF19

Hi All,
I'd really suggest waiting till they've gone to bed! (Age dependent) and giving it completely all your attention.. I know if I ask my little one to leave me alone for a while he'd do the polar opposite :rolleyes:

Mmi is mixed modul interview and cbi is competency based interview. Both very similar, opc will ask you for situations to use during a interview with one of their assessors. They tell you to use the star process (please Google this). They will poke holes in your answers to see if you back track or change. Plus they challenge you to see if you bite because you have stay leveled headed at all times.
In regards of the tests I have asked the question of period because I have recently completed the classroom based assessments for another company using the higher standard. Each toc and foc are different the person I spoke to confirmed avanti results are valid for 5 years, this may be different for other companies.
The online tests only last 6 months regardless of the company so if you did the a year ago they will be reset and if you pass you will only need to take (if needed at all) the tests you either failed or required by avanti.
Hope this helps and for me still waiting on Wolverhampton depot but has anyone applying there heard please.
I have applied for Wolverhampton and not heard anything yet.

Bd27

Hi all,
Just received the OPC invitation through for Polmadie. Was surprised how quickly the invitation came through after the closing date. Does everyone get an invite to do the OPC online testing? Don’t want to get excited

Nervious

Hi everyone, can anyone point me jn the right direction to study for these as don't have a spare £70 for how2become

ayaz2001

Mmi is mixed modul interview and cbi is competency based interview. Both very similar, opc will ask you for situations to use during a interview with one of their assessors. They tell you to use the star process (please Google this). They will poke holes in your answers to see if you back track or change. Plus they challenge you to see if you bite because you have stay leveled headed at all times.
In regards of the tests I have asked the question of period because I have recently completed the classroom based assessments for another company using the higher standard. Each toc and foc are different the person I spoke to confirmed avanti results are valid for 5 years, this may be different for other companies.
The online tests only last 6 months regardless of the company so if you did the a year ago they will be reset and if you pass you will only need to take (if needed at all) the tests you either failed or required by avanti.
Hope this helps and for me still waiting on Wolverhampton depot but has anyone applying there heard please.
ohhhh thats why they asked the same questions quite a few times, i think i put different answers down

Nervious

I’m in the same boat, but I’m keeping in and will make the decision if it comes to it.

I genuinely believe if you can pass the MMI you can pass the CBI. They are literally the same thing. They are both questions relating to the same old train diving competencies. Only difference I can see is that the MMI uses a SJT before hand to generate extra questions for the interviewer.
Sorry to jump in but what is the mmi and cbi, just apply for all jobs at the minute so doing my research a little late as didn't think I would pass the paper shift

kajojek3232

Just done all the assessments. I am convinced I have failed - gut feeling I guess. I wish everybody good luck by the way!

Samzino

Although I didn't apply for this role, I'd just like to check (for maybe some of your own sakes) if those mentioning the online assessments to be from OPC are sure. As I've noticed some people including one or two pals of mine are looking at the Thread assuming they are risking a life possibly here.

I assure these are the Standard SJTs of which you won't lose a life for if you fail considering its in a non test controlled environment.
Hi All,

Hi All,

I applied for 3 of the positions. Liverpool, Manchester and Wolverhampton.

I’ve had two invites to complete the assessments so far.

I can see people saying they’ve had invites from Liverpool and Manchester. Are those who applied to Wolves still waiting? Or has anyone had one through for here?

Thanks,

kajojek3232

Although I didn't apply for this role, I'd just like to check (for maybe some of your own sakes) if those mentioning the online assessments to be from OPC are sure. As I've noticed some people including one or two pals of mine are looking at the Thread assuming they are risking a life possibly here.

I assure these are the Standard SJTs of which you won't lose a life for if you fail considering its in a non test controlled environment.
Your pal won't be losing a life over these, no. It's only the next ones that count as a life and that's only for companies who use them.

Samzino

Your pal won't be losing a life over these, no. It's only the next ones that count as a life and that's only for companies who use them.
Perfect that should answer their worries and those on here that may have assumed so. Cheers

Also… I applied to drive trains for virgin. Passed all of the tests but lost out at the manager interview.

Virgin told us that the tests would last for 5 years meaning they would still be in date until April 2023 (cutting it fine).

Does anyone know how long avanti will accept tests that were successful and when they would act on it?

Not sure if it would’ve already been the case or not if they were going to accept them.

Hope this makes sense!

Samzino

Also… I applied to drive trains for virgin. Passed all of the tests but lost out at the manager interview.

Virgin told us that the tests would last for 5 years meaning they would still be in date until April 2023 (cutting it fine).

Does anyone know how long avanti will accept tests that were successful and when they would act on it?

Not sure if it would’ve already been the case or not if they were going to accept them.

Hope this makes sense!
Should be fine with Avanti as they should be able to check OPC via your national insurance number for all the relevant assessments, only difference may be making up what you may be missing if Virgin wasn't enhanced at the time or used mmi over CBI. Tho I know off head SWR only looks at passes within the last 3 years.

Nervious

Does anyone know once we have the job, how many days do we work. I heard it was four on four off

Sorry confused over "loose a life" could someone please explain

Penny

Hi all, I've a question regarding the OPC online assessment.
I'm just wondering if you can do them individually before the deadline, or once you click on the link you have to do them all immediately?

Emz88

Hi all, I've a question regarding the OPC online assessment.
I'm just wondering if you can do them individually before the deadline, or once you click on the link you have to do them all immediately?
Hi, I've just completed my OPC and you can do them individually, just don't click on the individual links if you don't intend to complete it there, and then. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Jaylfc147

If you fail any of these online tests does it count towards a life lost? Ive just passed paper tests with TfW and don't want to compromise this pass.

MT18

If you fail any of these online tests does it count towards a life lost? Ive just passed paper tests with TfW and don't want to compromise this pass.
There is a separate thread in regards to this question, also try using the search function might make it a lot easier to find the answer you’re looking for.

hiall

I sat and passed my driver tests in 2008 with scotrail and been in the grade since but have not heard of this OPC testing? Can anyone shed any light on it for me? Just being nosey. Thank you.