• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

There are still some of us who have not heard anything at all (no 28 day email) since the initial tests.

Again, I appreciate that there will be a lot of work to process all the applications but it can't be beyond the wit of man to provide better updates.
If it's Manchester you've applied for I think it may be something to do with that depot. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Manchester applicants (if any) that have received anything after the initial 5 tests. I would try not to stress about it, they will get back to you. I think it's possible that they're prioritising certain depot's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sparrowman

If it's Manchester you've applied for I think it may be something to do with that depot. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Manchester applicants (if any) that have received anything after the initial 5 tests. I would try not to stress about it, they will get back to you. I think it's possible that they're prioritising certain depot's.
It's Wolves I've applied for.
I've seen that there are some Wolves applicants that have been invited for the in-person assessments so hopefully won't be too long to find out what's happening.

Azzer88

There are still people waiting for all stages of the process.

I know that people say it takes a long time in the rail industry but this seems crazy to have people waiting at every stage of the process.

It makes me want to get a job in recruitment just to try and understand their thinking is.

I've had three 28 day emails since the initial five tests and nothing else. Another week to wait, unless of course they mean business days in which case it's a few more weeks
Might just be better people than you applying. If they had any sense then they’d sift out the strongest candidates from the weakest and then see how the stronger do going forward while having other people to fall back on in case they’re not as good when they progress through each stage.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Might just be better people than you applying. If they had any sense then they’d sift out the strongest candidates from the weakest and then see how the stronger do going forward while having other people to fall back on in case they’re not as good when they progress through each stage.
That's not really how it works. It's pass/fail, so you're either good enough or you're not. There is no 'league table' of applicants based on their individual scoring.

They are prioritising depots that will have larger or earlier intake dates first, and they only have a certain capacity for each stage depending on where you sit testing etc

I think someone pointed out earlier that this section is entirely ran by OPC until after CBI, so that's probably 2 or 3 people (out of around 12) that will be checking scores, setting up sending out next stage emails, then sending results and the next next stage emails etc. They deal with a number of TOCs/FOCs concurrently, probably thousands of applicants for each recruitment or even each depot. It does take time, but you will receive a response in due course be that positive or negative.

User7

Congrats did you think you had failed at the time? How did you think you done before you got the results?
Cheers mate!

If I’m honest I didn’t find the Vse to hard. part 1 and 2 I believe was no errors and part 3 maybe max 6 wrong. The Sjt I had no clue as some answers were very similar.

Hellboydce

A bit late to this but has anyone still not heard anything? my daughter has still not had a yes or a no from the original online test

JGB3

A bit late to this but has anyone still not heard anything? my daughter has still not had a yes or a no from the original online test
There are still quite a lot of people who have not heard anything yet and also quite a few who have had the "due to the number of applications, it could be up to 28 days" email

Funkyfairy

I still haven’t heard anything either. I’ve applied to Liverpool and Manchester. I do think there are others too who haven’t heard anything,

Harvinder

Is the assessment centre elimination based rounds, for example if you don't pass the first test you go home and don't do the rest, or is it you do all of the tests and then receive the results like week later?

Aviator88

Is the assessment centre elimination based rounds, for example if you don't pass the first test you go home and don't do the rest, or is it you do all of the tests and then receive the results like week later?

Paper tests are a 'wait a week' jobby (you'll sit them all, regardless), computer tests are marked within an hour or so of taking them. If you've met the mark, you'll sit the CBI, if not, it's hometime!

Hinata Shoyo

It depends on the TOC and how they want to run their assessments.

Some TOCs do Stage 1 (paper tests), Stage 2 (computer based tests) and then MMI/CBI all in one day and if you fail a stage, you're sent home and not allowed to proceed to the next stage.

Avanti do their stages on different days. You will complete all the Stage 1 paper tests (Group Bourdon, TEAOcc and TRP 1/2) regardless of if you have failed one of the tests. You're not told you've failed any of the tests until the end. If you've passed all paper tests, you then proceed to Stage 2 on a different day.

kajojek3232

Paper tests are a 'wait a week' jobby (you'll sit them all, regardless), computer tests are marked within an hour or so of taking them. If you've met the mark, you'll sit the CBI, if not, it's hometime!
I’m not even through the first stage and somehow the words “it’s hometime” make my hair stand up. I can’t imagine my name being called out in front of everyone for me to go home haha

Hinata Shoyo

I’m not even through the first stage and somehow the words “it’s hometime” make my hair stand up. I can’t imagine my name being called out in front of everyone for me to go home haha
It's done more discreetly than that.

When I did assessments for another TOC, there was only 2 of us at the start and he was called into a meeting, given feedback and then sent home. I didn't see him after he was called into this meeting so I can't imagine it'll be a case of getting called out in front of everyone and sent home lol, that would be harsh

Roobear

Just received my email for the Assessment Day. Wolves applicant, although the assessment is in Watford

You and me both mate, I’ll see you there
Im STILL waiting to hear back from initial first stage! Wolves applicant too

It's Wolves I've applied for.
I've seen that there are some Wolves applicants that have been invited for the in-person assessments so hopefully won't be too long to find out what's happening.
I’m in same position as you. Wolves applicant

benji

Are there any Euston applicants who haven't heard back? I’m still waiting, I did do the VSE the day before the deadline…

Also if you didn’t pass vse/M7 have you had a rejection email or have you just not heard anything?

y4d344

Are there any Euston applicants who haven't heard back? I’m still waiting, I did do the VSE the day before the deadline…

Also if you didn’t pass vse/M7 have you had a rejection email or have you just not heard anything?
I did the VSE & SJT two days before the deadline on the 21st. Still no reply, hoping for good news this week. Euston applicant

kajojek3232

You will hear back nevertheless don’t worry.

Harvinder

Just want to know is the dials test part 2 of rules and regulations, very similar to the real test?