• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gc85

I got 4 emails from them about this with 2 different deadline dates. Anyone else the same?
I got this also. One with 4 days to complete tests and other 7 days.

I’m guessing the 7 days sounds about right to complete

rd79

Remind me, is it the case that you are best to sit these online tests using a laptop & mouse rather than an iPad?

Sorcerer

Remind me, is it the case that you are best to sit these online tests using a laptop & mouse rather than an iPad?
Using a desktop/laptop with a mouse is the most optimal way of doing so because of the nature of the tests and is generally what's recommended by the OPC if I'm not mistaken. You might be able to pass on an iPad, but if possible I'd try to get it done on a computer and mouse first.

rd79

Using a desktop/laptop with a mouse is the most optimal way of doing so because of the nature of the tests and is generally what's recommended by the OPC if I'm not mistaken. You might be able to pass on an iPad, but if possible I'd try to get it done on a computer and mouse first.
That’s great, much appreciated

MS89

Regarding the practice material, I haven't looked on my pc yet but through my phone it leads to a pdf booklet. Once you log into the online portal, is there any more practice sections there? Thanks.

ZackCulross

Regarding the practice material, I haven't looked on my pc yet but through my phone it leads to a pdf booklet. Once you log into the online portal, is there any more practice sections there? Thanks.
Not much, you do get the opportunity to practice the material before the actual test, the pdf dots and letter test is different on the real one compared to the pdf file

Malranox

I just completed the VSE and M7...found the VSE pretty OK but the m7 ran out of time with 8 questions left so be very cautions with time.

MS89

Not much, you do get the opportunity to practice the material before the actual test, the pdf dots and letter test is different on the real one compared to the pdf file
With the vse, can you practice this and log back out or do you have to do the test right after it?

MT18

I just completed the VSE and M7...found the VSE pretty OK but the m7 ran out of time with 8 questions left so be very cautions with time.
How can you run out of time for the M7? They give you 80 mins.

LarryBD

Same situation for me here. 2 different emails sent at what appears to be the exact same time, but with two different deadlines....?

m.r.90

Same situation for me here. 2 different emails sent at what appears to be the exact same time, but with two different deadlines....?
This has also happened to me. I logged into the OPC and seen what deadline they have down for it, and I am going with that deadline.

Oscar69

Hi, thanks for the info. Can you clarify if the test is similar to the practice material ( the dots in the boxes along with the letters ) or is it the dots going round a track with the signals

ZackCulross

Hi, thanks for the info. Can you clarify if the test is similar to the practice material ( the dots in the boxes along with the letters ) or is it the dots going round a track with the signals
Dots round a track first test the signals matching second test then 3rd is both together

LarryBD

I spotted something in the VSE combined test which has me a little worried. The guidance stated that the dots would:

skip stations
move backwards
change color
have two dots on the track at the same time.

During my combined test, one of the station dots would appear as a half-circle and not a full. It would happen for the duration of the individual task and be whole again for the next one. It maybe happened 2-4 times so naturally I clicked on "error" when it did. It wasn't until after the test that I thought that it might have been a glitch on the website as it wasn't stated in the error list at the start.

Did anyone else notice this?

bigtweedy77

I spotted something in the VSE combined test which has me a little worried. The guidance stated that the dots would:

skip stations
move backwards
change color

During my combined test, one of the station dots would appear as a half-circle and not a full. It would happen for the duration of the individual task and be whole again for the next one. It maybe happened 2-4 times so naturally I clicked on "error" when it did. It wasn't until after the test that I thought that it might have been a glitch on the website as it wasn't stated in the error list at the start.

Yeah, I clicked it as an error.

Aviator88

skip stations
move backwards
change color

That's definitely a thing! Also, the dot will sometimes disappear or not move at all, both of which are also errors.

Oscar69

skip stations
move backwards
change color

Hi all, could anyone shed some light on during the VSE should you stick with the guidance pointing out the four errors or class the other 2 examples given as errors as well. It has the possibility of messing with your final score. Thanks in advance.