• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

SGriffin

For the people that have taken their DMI… how did you find it?
Had my DMI today at Euston at 13:45. The two driver managers are really really good, professional but also really put you at ease. I genuinely feel like they want you to succeed, it’s hard not to but try not to stress about it, as far as interviews go it was enjoyable. Fingers crossed I did well enough and can get a slot early next year!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not sure tbh theres alway’s that feeling of “I could have said more” but what I can say is I gave it my best shot and I was able to be myself and that’s what matters

Thank you! Have you had yours yet?
Yeah I think it went well mate. I was thorough on most questions but I’m sure when you think you have done well enough is when you haven’t done quite enough lol

RustyRuss

My sincerest of apologies to all of those who reached out to me looking to see what practice materials that I had been using. With the tinescsles involved with this application process and Edinburgh applicants being bumped down the queue so to speak I have been giving my full attention to my current employer and have only just logged back in to the forums.
I, somewhat naively, did not expect so many of you to reply to my post, unfirtunately I think that most of you will already have sat the vse and m7 by now and I truly hope that you managed to find the materials needed to pass.

How’s everyone’s nervous waiting for results for DMI been refreshing my emails every hour.

Good luck to those doing there DMI this week

Oscar69

Hi all, apologies if been covered before. In trainability for rules and procedures part 2, would anyone remember for Avanti is it the 4 dial version which is used in the test and is it similar to bellow ?

Also regarding the Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ) how much time is allowed on each section ? currently using the how to become software for practice and have it set at 2.30 minutes for 800 icons/ codes for searching with tones in background, in the real test is it a shorter timespan to complete and is 800 close to the test parameters.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-23 at 16.48.28.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-23 at 16.48.28.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 87
The wait is killing me just want to be put out of my misery hopefully with good news hahaha.
DM said about 2 weeks hopefully get something this week

Harvinder

The wait is killing me just want to be put out of my misery hopefully with good news hahaha.
DM said about 2 weeks hopefully get something this week
I know, keep busy. Do something that you like, try not to focus on it and let it be. You will be fine. I am going to keep learning to play my harmonium!

olimaach4738

Hiii guys ,im just wondering what are the recruitment stages for a trainee train driver for avanti west coast? Will the situational judgement be the first test?

Harvinder

Hiii guys ,im just wondering what are the recruitment stages for a trainee train driver for avanti west coast? Will the situational judgement be the first test?
Yes there is one, first you fo five tests and then you proceed to do two more online tests which includes another sjt.

MT18

Just got an invite for the stage 1 assessment (Polmadie applicant) for November 1st in Glasgow.

Last edited:

RustyRuss

I have my stage 1 in Glasgow on Oct 12th. Is there any additional practice material available other than the PDF they sent me in the notification email?

thanks.
There is 3rd party software available for purchase online, i used google and found train driver info. Im fairly certain there are alternatives available also.

Scotrail13

Been offered a date for the assessment centre on the 1st November as well but can’t get it off work (used all my holidays).

I’ve emailed to say but has anyone been lucky enough to get a change? Gutted. But I’ll prob end up going sick if needed

MT18

Been offered a date for the assessment centre on the 1st November as well but can’t get it off work (used all my holidays).

I’ve emailed to say but has anyone been lucky enough to get a change? Gutted. But I’ll prob end up going sick if needed
Just pull a good old sicky haha.

On a serious note, the last time I dealt with the OPC with an application, I was abroad, couldn’t make the assessment and they were unable to offer me an alternative date.

C12354

It is quite annoying not knowing the dates (or potential dates) of the different stages of the process in advance. Not easy to plan ahead with work - particularly when the assessment centre isn’t where the job would be.

Just part of it though I suppose. I just had to give my work a very vague reason for needing a full day off at short notice (not a lie but not the truth ). Not looking forward to doing that again if I make it through!

I just had to

I couldnt make the date they gave me so I emailed the OPC, they gave me the day after which I couldnt make either so they gave me the day after that.

olimaach4738

Hi is Crewe the only training centre? I am London based and have just passed all tests and CBI. I am waiting for driver managers interview.
If they are expecting the Londoners to come to Crewe how does that work?
Thanks
Hiii please what are the cbi questions?

We are in the same time line, I also passed CBI on 24th May. Got an update on 19th July.
Hii please what are the cbi questions?

Last edited:

clarets2005

Hiii please what are the cbi questions?

Hii please what are the cbi questions?

If you get there, my suggestion would be to use the materials provided by the OPC to prepare for the assessments and the CBI that comes at the end. I sat the MMI for my TOC, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's only 5 scenario based questions in the CBI. You'll need to answer those by drawing from your own experiences (work or personal), ideally using the STAR method, which is basically giving a comprehensive response that's packs in all the details without too much fluff. The interviewer may ask you ''and what was the outcome?'', or ''and how did that make you feel?'', and they might be trying to get a little more detail from you, or they may test your patience to a degree. The questions will focus on times where you've done/dealt with 'X', and the answers you give are used to determine your suitability for the role, through the examples themselves and how you put them across. Think about some of the things the job of a train driver entails and what they sometimes have to deal with, and how they do it.

Situation (what it was)
Task (what you had to do)
Action (what you did)
Result (what was the outcome)

Example questions have ended up on this forum before, and you could use those to get a rough idea of what to expect, but don't worry too much, get your head down, and focus on the practise/preparation materials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harvinder

I agree completely with what JohnnyOne says, as the driver recruitment team at Avanti almost certainly monitor these forums...

If you get there, my suggestion would be to use the materials provided by the OPC to prepare for the assessments and the CBI that comes at the end. I sat the MMI for my TOC, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's only 5 scenario based questions in the CBI. You'll need to answer those by drawing from your own experiences (work or personal), ideally using the STAR method, which is basically giving a comprehensive response that's packs in all the details without too much fluff. The interviewer may ask you ''and what was the outcome?'', or ''and how did that make you feel?'', and they might be trying to get a little more detail from you, or they may test your patience to a degree. The questions will focus on times where you've done/dealt with 'X', and the answers you give are used to determine your suitability for the role, through the examples themselves and how you put them across. Think about some of the things the job of a train driver entails and what they sometimes have to deal with, and how they do it.

Situation (what it was)
Task (what you had to do)
Action (what you did)
Result (what was the outcome)

Example questions have ended up on this forum before, and you could use those to get a rough idea of what to expect, but don't worry too much, get your head down, and focus on the practise/preparation materials.
Yes this! Think about your life and work experiences.