• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti vs West Midlands Trains (LNR brand) Standard Class

Joseph T

I'm planning an all-day trip from London to Birmingham International on the 25th this month.

For the early morning outward journey, I'll depart from Norbiton at 0706, arrive at Clapham Jn at 0724, catch Southern for Watford Junction at 0740, and arrive at 0822. From there I have the options of LNR or Avanti with a price difference of ~£8 (or I could carry on to Vauxhall, take the Vic to Euston, and catch the Avanti service from there at 0816 to save 29p). I wish to arrive no later than 1100.

Which of the two is better for the trip in terms of comfort and other factors?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would go for the option via London. The service via Kensington Olympia is not known for its reliability. The only reason to use it is when it's vastly cheaper as it sometimes is.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get to BHI for 1033 with West Midlands Trains for £14

Or for £25.53 you can be there for 0936 with Avanti (taking the Victoria line from Victoria to Euston).

1715371714518.png

If your arrival time is crucial (and you don't want to depart super early), go with Avanti; if money is tight, take WMT.

I'd take Avanti if it was me.

Joseph T

I would go for the option via London. The service via Kensington Olympia is not known for its reliability. The only reason to use it is when it's vastly cheaper as it sometimes is.
My only option for the return journey from the forum's ticket site is via the WLL. What kinds of problems happen on that route, and any advice I may need?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My only option for the return is via the WLL. What kinds of problems happen on that route, and any advice I may need?
If delays or cancellations occur on the day, post here to seek advice.

I do advise booking a through itinerary for the entire journey from Norbiton as this makes any delay repay claims easier (the number of tickets doesn't matter but having the through itinerary helps)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How do I do that?
Just put in the origin of where you are going from i.e. Norbiton and the destination of where you are going to i.e. Birmingham Intl.

I'm not suggesting you do anything special; just search for the actual journey you are making.

The reason I say this is that your original post referred to just a part of your journey, and I think it is wise to book for the full journey, not just part of it.

Or click this link:

(Note: it may be better to do the search as a return, rather than a single; also remove the Railcard if you don't have one, or amend the type if applicable)

Joseph T

Just put in the origin of where you are going from i.e. Norbiton and the destination of where you are going to i.e. Birmingham Intl.

I'm not suggesting you do anything special; just search for the actual journey you are making.

The reason I say this is that your original post referred to just a part of your journey, and I think it is wise to book for the full journey, not just part of it.

Or click this link:

(Note: it may be better to do the search as a return, rather than a single; also remove the Railcard if you don't have one, or amend the type if applicable)
Ah, I was already doing that. Thx.

Joseph T

Or click this link:

Update: For some reason, E-tickets are unavailable for my route via Euston. How come?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator