• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
About time. If they can't manage that, then serious questions need to be asked.

Would those four trains per hour be one each from Euston to Wolverhampton, Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow? (and sod anywhere else)

Serious questions need to be asked now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Would those four trains per hour be one each from Euston to Wolverhampton, Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow? (and sod anywhere else)

Yes.

Wolverhampton will continue to Blackpool/Edinburgh.

Manchester via Stoke.

Glasgow, first stop Crewe.

Liverpool as normal.

North Wales shuttle.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I'd just use Chiltern. Indeed, I'd probably do that anyway because even if my employer did let me put in an Any Permitted Anytime Return for expenses it'd feel profligate in a time of economic challenges.

I am guessing that the LNWR trains are still operating as normal? When Avanti was running their COVID timetable, the option to go on LNWR from Birmingham to Rugby and change there for the LNWR fast ex Crewe (that goes via Weedon instead of Northampton) was a good option

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am guessing that the LNWR trains are still operating as normal? When Avanti was running their COVID timetable, the option to go on LNWR from Birmingham to Rugby and change there for the LNWR fast ex Crewe (that goes via Weedon instead of Northampton) was a good option

They are, yes. But are often quite busy as only 1tph is presently operating as a through service and they're getting a lot of Avanti "refugees". I'd probably recommend taking the xx14 (from Brum) Northampton (the third service is gone for good) and changing either there (or Rugby if the time fits).

peter166

Anyone travelling from Euston to Birmingham/Wolverhampton today, be aware that there are quite a few cancellations on this route today.
Cluster of late evening cancellations - 2019 Birmingham and 2103, 2207, 2230 and 2330 to Wolverhampton

Notice about revised timetable from 14 August 2022

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member

At least it means AWC are publishing a timetable they can deliver (hopefully), which is what a few of us have been saying for a few weeks, which is far better than the turn up & hope the train is running in service mess, that is the current situation.

This will be bad for anyone going Crewe to Manchester. The TfW service is almost always full when it arrives at Crewe. And the Northern service is slow. Both of those will be bursting at the seams without the Avanti service.

What a joke of an operation they are. Let’s see how long this 4tph lasts before they are cancelling things again.

Jimini

Established Member
Cluster of late evening cancellations - 2019 Birmingham and 2103, 2207, 2230 and 2330 to Wolverhampton

Notice about revised timetable from 14 August 2022

That's the last three Brum services from Euston then -- ouchy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
1tph Euston to Glasgow via Birmingham and Manchester you read it here first :lol:

In the end they should go as low as is necessary for it to be reliable, though rather than doing that I'd go below 1tph on some routes if necessary, and even consider total withdrawal of the Birmingham service because there are two alternatives.

Hopefully "one of each plus a North Wales shuttle operated with Holyhead crews only" should stabilise things.

dk1

Veteran Member
Avanti is also bottom of the PPM pile today & currently standing at a miserable 51%.

Established Member
Tweet confirming the timetable change, along with more mention of "unofficial strike action".

View attachment 118947
Avanti have had their last pennies out of me. Will only be using their trains again in a scenario of another TOC cancelling and Avanti accepting their tickets. And I won't be going anywhere near the onboard shop.

I went down to London last Tuesday on the first off peak WMT from Crewe on a walk up ticket. The train was absolutely rammed, with standees from Rugby. Staggering to think they were 4 car trains just a few years ago, though I suspect we had a lot of Avanti refugees onboard. I've certainly heard of a surprising amount of "normal" passengers using the TFW+WMT walk ups between Manchester and London for example.

dk1

Veteran Member
Avanti have had their last pennies out of me. Will only be using their trains again in a scenario of another TOC cancelling and Avanti accepting their tickets. And I won't be going anywhere near the onboard shop.
Wont you risk spiting your nose of your own face though?

Furrball

Tweet confirming the timetable change, along with more mention of "unofficial strike action".

View attachment 118947

And also the staff not wanting to work overtime!

From 14 August until further notice, we will be introducing a reduced timetable on our services. This is due to the current industrial relations climate which has resulted in severe staff shortages in some grades through increased sickness levels, as well as unofficial strike action by ASLEF members.

As a result of the above, including the majority of drivers declaring themselves unavailable for overtime, our customers have faced multiple short-notice cancellations on our network which has had a severe impact on their plans.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I went down to London last Tuesday on the first off peak WMT from Crewe on a walk up ticket. The train was absolutely rammed, with standees from Rugby. Staggering to think they were 4 car trains just a few years ago, though I suspect we had a lot of Avanti refugees onboard. I've certainly heard of a surprising amount of "normal" passengers using the TFW+WMT walk ups between Manchester and London for example.

WMT aren't only getting people switching because Avanti are rubbish, they're switching because Avanti are refusing their money!

(I wonder if EMR are seeing significant "refugees" via the Hope Valley and Sheffield? Not as cheap though).

Established Member
WMT aren't only getting people switching because Avanti are rubbish, they're switching because Avanti are refusing their money!

(I wonder if EMR are seeing significant "refugees" via the Hope Valley and Sheffield? Not as cheap though).
That as well! It'd be comical if it wasn't so farcical...

As to the latter, I'd doubt it. Might be an option from Manchester, but a bigger time Penalty than using WMT for Liverpool and Warrington. One for the EMR staff on here to answer.

Bungle73

On Moderation

That seriously puts me off my trip to Chester. I've already booked with LNR, but last thing I need is to have to spend 2 1/2 hours each way standing on a packed train. Maybe I'll cancel the whole thing.

Established Member
Here is what’s had been sent to staff today.
A letter from the current MD about implementing an emergency timetable, and again reiterating that crew are on unofficial strike action.

Attachments

• 8319093A-B652-4722-89C9-5231D6B70121.jpeg
    8319093A-B652-4722-89C9-5231D6B70121.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 525
  • 4A0F2C91-B2CE-4927-A57B-65D03380570B.jpeg
    4A0F2C91-B2CE-4927-A57B-65D03380570B.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
As you'll be using the train throughout both ways, just make sure you board early.
How can I when I won't be able to get on Euston until everyone else can, and I've idea when they let you on at Crewe. And even sitting on a train jammed with people doesn't sound like much fun. What I'm used to is travelling in a relaxed quiet environment in First on what was at the time Virgin, having my pick of hourly direct trains. Now it just seems like waaay too much hassle.

ConorW2000

Im due to be travelling on the 6th September on the 15:50 train from Milton Keynes Central to Stoke on Trent as im off to watch the England Women's team up in Stoke, Not sure how this will now affect me.

Presume Avanti will be down to 4 tph from Euston now due to this decision.

Established Member
That seriously puts me off my trip to Chester. I've already booked with LNR, but last thing I need is to have to spend 2 1/2 hours each way standing on a packed train. Maybe I'll cancel the whole thing.
You'll be fine. Board towards the front of the train, there's much more room there. There were two of us in the front carriage leaving Crewe, for context.

At Euston, get to the platform before it's announced. Avanti's RPIs may be checking tickets for the train on the adjacent platform (if there is one) but they leave you alone when you say you're getting on the WMT service. Coming back on Tuesday, I managed to get a pair of seats to myself all the way back towards the front.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also of note in Euston is that if the train is in a "long" platform the quietest bit of an 8 car is generally if you go down the ramp and then back on yourself to the very back.

That's platforms 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 15 and 16.

Established Member
Also of note in Euston is that if the train is in a "long" platform the quietest bit of an 8 car is generally if you go down the ramp and then back on yourself to the very back.

That's platforms 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 15 and 16.
Long walk at Crewe though then!

Established Member
Erm, you either walk that at Euston or you walk it at Crewe! (Give or take 1.5 coaches worth which is "behind you" at Euston.

(I love bone-idle views like this, though - it means the front coach of 12 at Euston is always quiet!)
True, but I'm usually changing at Crewe, so the very rear coach is less than an idea place to be.

Bungle73

On Moderation
You'll be fine. Board towards the front of the train, there's much more room there. There were two of us in the front carriage leaving Crewe, for context.

At Euston, get to the platform before it's announced. Avanti's RPIs may be checking tickets for the train on the adjacent platform (if there is one) but they leave you alone when you say you're getting on the WMT service. Coming back on Tuesday, I managed to get a pair of seats to myself all the way back towards the front.I

I'm actually booked in First......not that it bears any relationship to the "First" that I'm used to,but it's slightly better Standard, and it was cheap, so I thought I'd treat myself. But that doesn't really mean anything with no seat reservations. Maybe I'll give it a few weeks to see how things go and then cancel if nothing has changed. It's a bit too late to book an alternative destination now.

Status
Not open for further replies.