• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Cancellations

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why do avanti continue to sell advances ticket for travel when they know that they are having resource issues?

For example my friend at avanti control has told me that tomorrow avanti are really struggling to cover services on wcml but a quick check shows advances available on all their services, surely they should have some sort of communication internally that says pull those advances from sale as we are going to have to put on bus replacements

Because the ORR are publishing P-coding stats, some TOCs have chosen not to cancel till the last moment so they are off the P-coding naughty step. Whether this is better for passengers or not, I will not give an opinion.

It's all about as making as much money as possible. Horrible company Avanti.

It costs them more money to cancel late than cancel further ahead.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because the ORR are publishing P-coding stats, some TOCs have chosen not to cancel till the last moment so they are off the P-coding naughty step. Whether this is better for passengers or not, I will not give an opinion.

There is an advantage to not P-coding, of course - Delay Repay can be claimed. And indeed I'm making a not too time-critical Avanti journey tomorrow - sounds like it's going to be free.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It helps but it isn’t the bee all & end all.
AWC was awarded the extension because they had plan to deal with driver shortages so whoever reviewed that hollow commitment from DafT clearly didn't ask the right questions.

dk1

Veteran Member
AWC was awarded the extension because they had plan to deal with driver shortages so whoever reviewed that hollow commitment from DafT clearly didn't ask the right questions.

ASLEF signed it off but if drivers aren’t interested in extra some days then that’s just how it is.

Maybe they quite like spending their days off with their families.

So very true. It’s only money after all.

£600 a shift, what's that after tax and how does that compare to their "normal" daily rate, so how much extra in their actual pocket do the get

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Edinburgh service has been absolutely decimated today. Only the 0852 and 1252 are running, with the 0652, 1452 (starting from Preston), 1652 and 1852 all cancelled.

dk1

Veteran Member
Edinburgh service has been absolutely decimated today. Only the 0852 and 1252 are running, with the 0652, 1452 (starting from Preston), 1652 and 1852 all cancelled.

Looks like they were all teminating/starting Crewe today anyway. There are engineering works in the West Midlands.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

It’s also been hit on LNER again due to crew shortages:

09.30 and 11.30 King’s Cross to Edinburgh cancelled.

DanNCL

Established Member
In contrast XC, a larger TOC, has 0 cancellations today. Same with SWR.

Mind Avanti’s 15 is still nothing compared to the over 100 from Northern…

Taplowgreen

In training maybe.

Again, it’s only money.

ASLEF signed it off but if drivers aren’t interested in extra some days then that’s just how it is.

So very true. It’s only money after all.
Easy to be blase about £600 for a shift when you're already on £60k + per year I guess..................I know families surviving on far less than £600 in a week, never mind for one shift!

Established Member
Easy to be blase about £600 for a shift when you're already on £60k + per year I guess..................I know families surviving on far less than £600 in a week, never mind for one shift!
So maybe £600 isn't enough of an incentive?

Though sometimes it's just simply not about money. Time off is time off.

I know for me, I'm not a driver or even employed by a TOC, but my time off is my time off. End of. Of course I don't have a family to support, so I have minimal need for the extra pay and would much rather the overtime at my place of work go to those who do.

exbrel

It helps but it isn’t the bee all & end all.
i agree that it isn't, but one of the main points was drivers etc had not had a rise in 4yrs, so if the cost of living was causing them problems, surely doing a extra shift at £600 would go along way to ease that...

dk1

Veteran Member
i agree that it isn't, but one of the main points was drivers etc had not had a rise in 4yrs, so if the cost of living was causing them problems, surely doing a extra shift at £600 would go along way to ease that...

It’s the principle rather than anything else. No basic pay increase for five long years. I have been continuously employed on the railway since 1984 and I cannot remember a single year before 2019 when that has happened.