• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast performance statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Did you mean he improvement or the performance not yet being up to target being down to Avanti?

The improvement is mostly Avanti, due to the very much improved crew position. Credit where it’s due.

There is still improvement to be made, of course, and that’s for everyone involved to work on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I’m sorry but I really don’t buy this credit where it is due stuff. There is no credit due. Yes, things have improved but it would have been difficult for them not to have done. When Avanti were in front of the TSC late last year they admitted they need to restore passenger confidence in the service. 1 in 3 trains delayed and 1 in 7 > 30 minutes late or cancelled does not instill confidence. Things are better but nowhere near where they should be or where Avanti promised they would be by now.

Was on the 1030 to Glasgow today ,kicked off a train on platform.1 to one on 14 due to a track failure with with fewer coaches, usual bedlam. Though ultimately NR issue.

jfollows

Established Member
OLE trip on the fast line. Maybe we should take a three month block to fix it.
Was all handled pretty well, I think.
JamieL was on 1S72 14:30 Euston-Glasgow, went slow line to Bourne End, 23 minutes late after there, 16 late into Glasgow.
My partner was on the way back from a day trip to the US Embassy (replacement passport will be posted in due course) on 1H70 15:33 Euston-Wilmslow-Manchester, slow line to Ledburn Junction, 35 minutes late into Wilmslow, 34 minutes late into Manchester.
1F28 15:43 Euston-Liverpool went fast line, overtook 1H70, but was still held up by congestion, 8 minutes late into Liverpool.
Obviously all the delays will add up for people who count and care for these things.
But no big deal, I get 50% of the single fare back for my partner's journey.

JamieL

Was all handled pretty well, I think.
JamieL was on 1S72 14:30 Euston-Glasgow, went slow line to Bourne End, 23 minutes late after there, 16 late into Glasgow.
My partner was on the way back from a day trip to the US Embassy (replacement passport will be posted in due course) on 1H70 15:33 Euston-Wilmslow-Manchester, slow line to Ledburn Junction, 35 minutes late into Wilmslow, 34 minutes late into Manchester.
1F28 15:43 Euston-Liverpool went fast line, overtook 1H70, but was still held up by congestion, 8 minutes late into Liverpool.
Obviously all the delays will add up for people who count and care for these things.
But no big deal, I get 50% of the single fare back for my partner's journey.
Yes, all credit to the post-Preston driver on 1S72 who made up time, a rare occurrence for AWC. Had the same platform fun described above though - open trains said Platform 3 but ended up as Platform 6.

jfollows

Established Member
It turns out I get £54.85 Delay Repay from Avanti because the up journey to London (much more expensive) was delayed by 15 minutes yesterday whereas the down journey was delayed by 35 minutes but on a much cheaper ticket.
Anyway, it was interesting to see how much Avanti has paid out in Delay Repay for 6 months last year, from https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/help-and-support/delay-repay:
April 2022 1/4/22 to 30/4/22: £1,155,607.04
May 2022 1/5/22 to 28/5/22 : £1,215,967.06
June 2022 29/5/22 to 25/6/22: £1,906,880.01
July 2022 26/6/22 to 23/7/22: £1,969,338.22
August 2022 24/7/22 to 20/8/22: £3,255,136.74
September 2022 21/8/22 to 17/9/22: £2,063,736.64

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Whilst Avanti has issued the bank transfers, vouchers or whatever, it is presumably the DfT/Treasury/taxpayer/you-and-me who have actually suffered the financial consequences?

Oxfordblues

What I think really annoys people is when their train arrives 59 minutes late: long enough to cause significant inconvenience, but not enough to get your money back!

jfollows

Established Member
What I think really annoys people is when their train arrives 59 minutes late: long enough to cause significant inconvenience, but not enough to get your money back!
For sure; my last trip was something like 58 minutes late, but it's better to have a system which is clear than otherwise and it's better to be precise rather than vague. So it doesn't annoy me, it's just something that happens.

Runningaround

According to trains.im so far this week Avanti's performance has been:

Mon 68% On Time, 13% > 30 mins late or cancelled
Tue 68% On Time, 14% > 30 mins late or cancelled
Thu 76% On Time, 7% > 30 mins late or cancelled

I would describe that as not as shambolic as it has been but still a very, very long way to go.

Shouldn't they include the ones they've chosen to omit from the timetable that they were contracted when handed the franchise.
Like dominos giving you a whole pizza and having 25% burnt cutting it off and saying the half of pizza left is 100% fine

Runningaround

Where did they promise they would be?
The agreement when they were given the franchise is what they promised. What the passenger got was fewer services and trains you couldn't book until 3 days before travel for a long distance rail service.

Runningaround

It turns out I get £54.85 Delay Repay from Avanti because the up journey to London (much more expensive) was delayed by 15 minutes yesterday whereas the down journey was delayed by 35 minutes but on a much cheaper ticket.
Anyway, it was interesting to see how much Avanti has paid out in Delay Repay for 6 months last year, from https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/help-and-support/delay-repay:
How many would be eligible to claim but couldn't be bothered, one thing about the last 18 months is the amount of claims I've put in is starting to get tiresome, when they reject it and the appeal wins you do wonder if they deliberately make it as awkward as possible.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Avanti having a good day today with PPM at 93% and probably gave Mark Harper the confidence to say today at Transport for the North Conference

The Rail Minister, Huw Merriman and I have made it clear to the relevant Managing Directors that services on Avanti West Coast and Trans-Pennine Express routes must improve. It’s good to see Avanti weekday services are starting to improve, but there is more to do so passengers don’t face unacceptable levels of disruption of the past 9 months.
Warming us upto a inevitable NRC extension maybe although not many parliamentary days left to announce it mind you there under no obligation to do so especially as there will be backlash when they do extend it so will probably wait till parliament has risen for Easter recess.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has there been movement on the Avanti situation? One of the parody accounts on Twitter seems to be talking about them having been awarded a 10 year National Rail Contract. While it is a parody account, it is usually loosely based on fact with some Ryanair style joke posturing around it, which leads me to wonder if there is some interesting fact there.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Heres the DfT press release

• Avanti West Coast’s new contract will run until 15 October 2023
  • follows significant improvements including running 40% more services and cancellations falling to 4.2%
  • further improvements will be needed over the next 6 months
Its hardly a surprised and Merriman warmed us up to this outcome weeks ago but AWC aren't out the woods yest and have six months to deliver

This will include delivering more reliable weekend services, continued reductions in cancellations and improvements in passenger information during planned and unplanned disruption
Separately they say they will update on TPE in due course

Status
Not open for further replies.