• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

fgwrich

Established Member
The headrests are a weird shape, they look like they've been lifted from a different frame design and forced onto the old ones (which to be fair they may have been). It's a small detail but the tables are so much better, I always hated the bright orange fake wood tables Virgin put into them.

The pendolinos have always looked like they were ripped straight from the 90s, with "bubbly" details like the rounded columns, everything circular, and the first class arm rests. This refurb has managed to slightly tone it down but they do still look 90s with more refinement.
Looking at this for a moment, it would appear that the seat frames are the same, but whereas the old cushion was curved at the top into the headrest piece. Oddly, it almost makes them look like the Primarius seats used in the 2007 FGW and XC First Class refurbishments. They do still look, frankly, awful though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

futureA

Well, I must say I was expecting a little bit more. But the new seats plug sockets are a welcome addition.

XAM2175

Established Member
Under the seat is pretty usual now.
You misunderstand me. My comments relate directly to my having no use for those charging pads, hence I wanted to be sure the number of normal sockets had not decreased. I am aware of their locations on both 390s and other stock.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Well, I must say I was expecting a little bit more. But the new seats plug sockets are a welcome addition.
A lot of people have said they were expecting more without indicating what. Short of making the windows bigger, what is 'more?

py_megapixel

Established Member
A lot of people have said they were expecting more without indicating what. Short of making the windows bigger, what is 'more?
I think people might have been expecting a significant change in the general ambience onboard, but from what we've seen they're going to feel like the same trains just with new seats.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think people might have been expecting a significant change in the general ambience onboard, but from what we've seen they're going to feel like the same trains just with new seats.
Yes, but equally they couldn't change the windows which are one of the most significant issues and there are comments about people being pleased the lighting isn't brighter. Maybe lighter surfaces would have made the difference.

The choice of dark blue seating makes the interior a bit less bright, just as it did on the SWR fleet which is another one that hasn't benefitted hugely from its refit.

On Moderation
It would be nice if the luggage stacks didn't have a window view, when there are passenger seats that don't have a window. As a piece of design, they're appalling.

The interior colour scheme of "fag stain light brown" needs to go as well - it contributes to the dingy interior.

Skie

• Seat re-alignment so you regularly get a view (They stripped 125 down entirely, exposing the entire interior, so this was possible. Instead they've given luggage racks yet more window views)
  • A more interesting colour scheme than even more blue and grey
  • Better armrests (these pencil thin ones look like they will be uncomfortable to use and accidentally impale yourself on)
  • Fixing the lack of an armrest on the bulkhead side (admittedly can't see this in Standard, they might have done this!)
  • Removing the kink caused by the plastic on the bulkhead, which just serves to trap heat between your leg and the bulkhead, cooking you. (that picture linked above shows theres no structural reason for it to even be there, other than an overly large cable raceway)
  • Better lighting. Nothing bright, but something more interesting than what looks to be the identical lighting setup. Airlines have been doing neat things for years now.
  • Tables with wireless charging for each person, not a weird arms length sharing setup.
  • Better reservation indicators
  • Less plastic to rattle and squeak. I wonder how many newspapers of mine they'll uncover, wedged into rattly plastic bits that annoyed me :D

Though I shouldn't be too bothered, only another year of these and the Hitatchi's should begin to take over my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
It was never going to be much different. It’s been said all along that seating numbers & most positions will be the same as before. Not sure what else anybody expected if I’m honest.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its always difficult judging these things from a photograph so I will reserve judgment on them until I have travelled on one.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Looks decent to me, although they will realise within about three weeks of in-service use that white was a mistake for the headrests. The Standard seats should be more comfortable for tall people like me!

I too am unsure what the ‘disappointed/underwhelmed’ folk were expecting, within the fixed parameters of overall seating capacity; window and door location, electrical trunking - and budget!

seagull

The biggest quality of life improvement might just be the removal of the awful large "ears" that every standard class seat had in favour of a more slimline feature. When walking through the train those ears had a tendency to either bash your funny bone, stick you in the ribs or cause any bag/rucksack being carried to crash against every single seat.

futureA

Well,

I’ve seen a lot of train refurbs where the ceilings, lighting and wall panels are changed.

XAM2175

Established Member
Seat re-alignment so you regularly get a view (They stripped 125 down entirely, exposing the entire interior, so this was possible. Instead they've given luggage racks yet more window views)
It was established very early-on that the reservation indicators were neither changing nor moving so in that respect people shouldn't be surprised.

mmh

Established Member
Well,

I’ve seen a lot of train refurbs where the ceilings, lighting and wall panels are changed.
The lighting on 390s has already great though. Subdued and warm. Just what you (well, I) want for a relaxing journey. That's the main thing I hope they left the same and have ignored the trend for dentists surgery style stark lighting.

dk1

Veteran Member
Somebody has clearly just taken these on their phone (probably a budget model looking at the quality) and leaked them. Hope they don't get caught!
Does make you wonder. Not the best quality. Some people just cannot help themselves :rolleyes:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully they haven't gone down the route of having useless fixed window side armrests which are only useful for the under 16s. Like on the Lumo trains

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Unfortunately having seen a different picture, they’ve still got the bulky side panel as an alternative to a window side armrest :( I can’t relax without an armrest on a journey of over two hours, so it’ll be First, SP or Aisle Seat for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wapps

The lighting on 390s has already great though. Subdued and warm. Just what you (well, I) want for a relaxing journey. That's the main thing I hope they left the same and have ignored the trend for dentists surgery style stark lighting.
Agreed.

Trackman

Established Member
Somebody has clearly just taken these on their phone (probably a budget model looking at the quality) and leaked them. Hope they don't get caught!
And as you know and others on here, Avanti do lurk on these forums.
Might speed up the official photos/press release though!

Voyager lad

Just a little detail I also noticed - the little stickers around the reservation screens that show coach letter and seat numbers, are still as they were when introduced by Virgin - and with the dark blue and red colour scheme (and mis matched font to all the new avanti stickers) they really stick out. Yes it’s just a cosmetic detail, but surely on such a ‘major’ refurb something like this should’ve been changed?!

M60lad

Have the interior information screens been updated refurbished at all or is there a plan to have them updated?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the two traveller seats are in Coach K?

Traveller is their loyalty scheme.

Just a little detail I also noticed - the little stickers around the reservation screens that show coach letter and seat numbers, are still as they were when introduced by Virgin - and with the dark blue and red colour scheme (and mis matched font to all the new avanti stickers) they really stick out. Yes it’s just a cosmetic detail, but surely on such a ‘major’ refurb something like this should’ve been changed?!

The font is either Rail Alphabet or some sort of Helvetica so goes with anything, really?