• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast: Standard Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
After the way the crew have been enthusing about the new menu, I am a little underwhelmed- as per Takno’s comment the crew will need to up their game, hopefully with a frequent drinks service to make it worthwhile - I’ve got one trip in first booked early October and I’ll then decide if I will stick to Std Premier going forward and self cater.
Overall, if they can hard-guarantee some edible food and drink so they I don't have to cater myself as a precaution then I'm pretty happy with this.

There's a chance I'd opt for standard premium anyway, but that will suit Avanti fairly well too. They are coming from a lose-lose position where they have to sell cheap upgrades to even fill the first class seats, to people who cost more in catering than the upgrade fee and lower the tone of the carriage. If it turns out that the long term solution is to lay off the long first class stewards and just leave standard premium as a smaller cheaper-to-operate first then I doubt they'll shed too many tears

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polarbear

Established Member
Is it me, or is the Voyager and weekend menu IDENTICAL to the Pendolino menu? So is this confirmation that the First Class weekend service WILL be the same as a weekday, or is it just an error?
Not sure. There are a few small differences between the menus on closer inspection. The weekday breakfast has a fried egg & potato scone, whilst the weekend breakfast has no potato scone & scrambled egg.

That the offering is almost identical every day is an improvement, but for me, it probably one of the few plus points here. Another is that pendolino & voyager menus are almost identical.

For me, the offer for the rest of the day is poor, with a lack of reasonable choice. Also, it's just a "light" menu all day, no dinner options being provided at all.

I was under the impression that part of Avanti's rationale in developing a 3 class service was that the top tier was to be significantly enhanced. These menus are a very long way from that - a very long way. For the fares being charged, together with the hype, I would have expected a proper meal service to be offered on at least the evening peak trains, not just the all day menu that, lets face it, is fairly cheap to put together & smacks of a great deal of penny-pinching.

Were I a full fare 1st class customer or even one paying some of the not particularly cheap 1st AP fares, I really wouldn't see this as value for money.

Trackman

Established Member
Judging from my experience so far, it's anything but a failure. Even on a relatively quiet late morning weekday service out of Euston it was busy with people upgrading
It's people like me.
My lowest quota first class ticket was £54 at the beginning of the year now it's £104 early December. (I've been watching the release dates, they are some £97 ones at daft times).
Rubbish menu. Vegan and vegetarian for the whole of the day except breakfast and no hot food after breakfast either. Many trains, particularly the Scottish services, cross dinner time and none of that would replace an evening meal.

Standard Premium for me with a cold box from M+S from now on.
I’ve already posted something similar on the Avanti catering thread.
For those who did the SP survey on here, it looked liked they were really going to town with the first class catering but has appears to have fizzled out.
Like yourself my first class on Avanti days are over and SP here we come.

island

Veteran Member
Rubbish menu. Vegan and vegetarian for the whole of the day except breakfast and no hot food after breakfast either. Many trains, particularly the Scottish services, cross dinner time and none of that would replace an evening meal.
You can have salmon on the gnocchi.

VideozVideoz

If you want to be sure of your upgrade, you can of course pay for it in the traditional fashion.
Seatfrog upgrades seem to be expensive atm. I’m used to auctions starting at £10~ but I’ve checked for next week on Avanti services and they’re all £35. Interestingly, the instant upgrade is £34 - a quid cheaper than the opening bid price?! What’s that all about?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Agreed, it's dire.

If they genuinely want to go for 1st being truly premium, they need to be thinking truly premium meals and service, potentially even returning to proper silver service. It all sounds very Caledonian Sleeper to me - bleat premium but don't deliver it.

But this is classic FirstGroup - good ideas, but sloppy and lackadaisical implementation. The Apprentice candidates could probably do better.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That menu isn’t worth anywhere near the £50+ premiums Avanti are asking for on top of SP on some of the trains I’ve seen, even if the alcohol comes round a couple of times.

Come up with something like Eurostar’s offering, or the Pullman / TFW meal service and it might start to approach value for money.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That menu isn’t worth anywhere near the £50+ premiums Avanti are asking for on top of SP on some of the trains I’ve seen, even if the alcohol comes round a couple of times.

Come up with something like Eurostar’s offering and it might start to approach value for money.
Agreed, Eurostar have the three class offering perfect.

Mountain Man

A challenge may come as awareness increases. Its already been pretty busy as weekends when I've used it. And as awareness and passenger numbers in general increase I'm not sure 1 carriage will be enough especially at weekends at times weekend upgrades were already popular. A 2,2,7 split of 11 car Pendolinos makes sense

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's perfectly adequate as a light snack menu, and I'd say it looks more consistent and probably nicer than their menus were in days gone by... but it's most definitely not a luxury meal service! Given they've got to pay for the fully equipped kitchen on every Pendolino train regardless of whether they ever use it (through the train leases), and they're already providing a significant number of very well paid catering staff you'd think full meal service wouldn't be difficult.

Butts

Veteran Member
One ray of sunshine the "full bar service" has returned with the reintroduction of Spirits.

Just hope their are regular runs :E

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It's perfectly adequate as a light snack menu, and I'd say it looks more consistent and probably nicer than their menus were in days gone by... but it's most definitely not a luxury meal service! Given they've got to pay for the fully equipped kitchen on every Pendolino train regardless of whether they ever use it (through the train leases), and they're already providing a significant number of very well paid catering staff you'd think full meal service wouldn't be difficult.
I think it's funny how they can offer almost identical menus on Super Voyagers to Pendolinos- despite the former only having a substantially smaller preparation area with a tiny oven- Whereas Pendolinos have a full kitchen with ovens/hobs etc. etc.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
TFW offer a 2 train niche service probably not remotely comparable with a major inter city provider
I’m aware of that. But the standard of food they serve, where the upgrade typically costs £40-£50+, is what Avanti should be aiming for if they are charging even more.

Starmill

Veteran Member
TFW offer a 2 train niche service probably not remotely comparable with a major inter city provider
The TfW service uses a train with a full kitchen, and a high staff ratio, to accommodate a small number of First Class passengers.

The Pendolino services use... a train with a full kitchen, and a high staff ratio, to accommodate a small number of First Class passengers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Avanti offering is frankly pathetic and nothing more than a p*ss take.

Not least because, echoing Caledonian Sleeper (sold as a premium experience, delivered as something a bit like a Premier Inn on rails), they are shouting about First Class being special and it's not, it's Standard Premium with a cup of tea and a butty at a quite substantially higher price.

SP I can see working, the "new 1st" I can see not. Perhaps that is actually the end game - run with both and see which product does better.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Very underwhelming for what was supposed to be an improvement on the Virgin menu - replacing eggs benedict with “bacon sandwich” and taking away all hot meat options after 11am is not an improvement to me. Classic First Group hot air.

The Prisoner

Surely the gnocchi must be warm (and you can add salmon!!!)?

Bishopstone

Established Member
It’s sufficient to tempt me. ‘Rest of the day’ needs a hot meat dish, although the absence of one may be political: ‘We’ve taken steps to reduce our carbon footprint!’ (I wonder whether meat pie will appear in a menu update after the Glasgow climate conference is finished…)

As others have said, the service needs to be right: delivered with a smile, and an expectation the hot and cold drinks trolleys will pass more than once between Euston and the West Midlands.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It’s sufficient to tempt me. ‘Rest of the day’ needs a hot meat dish, although the absence of one may be political: ‘We’ve taken steps to reduce our carbon footprint!’ (I wonder whether meat pie will appear in a menu update after the Glasgow climate conference is finished…)

As others have said, the service needs to be right: delivered with a smile, and an expectation the hot and cold drinks trolleys will pass more than once between Euston and the West Midlands.
I've had it pass through twice, but not with a smile.

Not least because, echoing Caledonian Sleeper (sold as a premium experience, delivered as something a bit like a Premier Inn on rails), they are shouting about First Class being special and it's not, it's Standard Premium with a cup of tea and a butty at a quite substantially higher price.

SP I can see working, the "new 1st" I can see not. Perhaps that is actually the end game - run with both and see which product does better.
On the strength of this menu It would probably be better described as Standard Premium plus as even post Pendo refurb it has the same seating, seat covering, legroom, power points, entertainment system. British Airways wouldn't be able to get away with selling first class with a cabin identical to Premium Economy so why should Avanti.

Butts

Veteran Member
On the strength of this menu It would probably be better described as Standard Premium plus as even post Pendo refurb it has the same seating, seat covering, legroom, power points, entertainment system. British Airways wouldn't be able to get away with selling first class with a cabin identical to Premium Economy so why should Avanti.

On British Airways Premium Economy delivers a better seat and upgraded complimentary catering.

The refreshments are also on demand a trend Avanti should be following in 1st Class.

Standard Premium should at least get free Tea and Biscuits.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Some airlines' short haul Business is the same cabin as Economy with the service being the differentiator.

station_road

On a Euston - Manchester 11 coach service this morning, told that as of today only coaches J and K are First, G and H both now Standard Premium.

Some airlines' short haul Business is the same cabin as Economy with the service being the differentiator.
Thats true and it is the same with the middle seat unoccupied and a free sandwich and drink (certainly on BA) and they cant possibly call that first class so its effectively Standard Premium . I should have said that i was more alluding to the long haul product where the distinction is much clearer!

Status
Not open for further replies.