• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast website glitching after paying for tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Hello.

Is anybody having an issue with the Avanti West Coast website where once you enter your details and pay, the website changes to a blank page that says session expired and means your payment doesn't go through.

Any idea how to fix it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If it's causing you a particular problem, can you purchase the exact same required tickets through an alternative retailer?

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
If it's causing you a particular problem, can you purchase the exact same required tickets through an alternative retailer?
What retailers can I use as I refuse to use Trainline and am not really sure what other ones there are available?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What retailers can I use as I refuse to use Trainline and am not really sure what other ones there are available?
You could try LNER, who don't charge booking fees.

Doesn't necessarily have to be for a journey on one of their own trains.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I would always recommend buying tickets through trainsplit:

this will also show you split ticketing options unavailable from other retailers
Thanks for the recommendation, just used the website to book the tickets, worked brilliantly, will defintley use it in the future.

Trackman

Established Member
Hello.

Is anybody having an issue with the Avanti West Coast website where once you enter your details and pay, the website changes to a blank page that says session expired and means your payment doesn't go through.

Any idea how to fix it?
TBH, the whole booking/ payment system is hopeless.
I had a voucher once, put it in and saw an error about the code I had entered. I was then Avanti's case who didn't know what was going on and said my voucher code was valid thus 'email customer services 'blah blah..' ' I had to book the trip so on the next screen it had applied the voucher code!

Someone had the same problem as you this week on twitter after sending payment ... Here's the error screen (which I need to red pen)
tren.jpg

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
TBH, the whole booking/ payment system is hopeless.
I had a voucher once, put it in and saw an error about the code I had entered. I was then Avanti's case who didn't know what was going on and said my voucher code was valid thus 'email customer services 'blah blah..' ' I had to book the trip so on the next screen it had applied the voucher code!

Someone had the same problem as you this week on twitter after sending payment ... Here's the error screen (which I need to red pen)
View attachment 109005
Yeah, that's the exact page I got as well. Tried it on different days and still the same error.

Trackman

Established Member
Fixed that for you :)

I just use Trainsplit, with the bonus of a seat selector. If you don't want split tickets, new.trainsplit.com allows them to be turned off.
Avanti's seat selector sometimes works when the wind is blowing in the right direction and the stars are correctly aligned.
There was somebody this week who used seat selector, but in the end it had different ideas and picked a seat at random.
Or just go for the random seat gamble game and book for a party of four, then guess how far you'll be away from each other on the day.

Yeah, that's the exact page I got as well. Tried it on different days and still the same error.
It was something to do with card payments I gather.
The person in question before giving up used PayPal instead which succeeded.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I see Avanti are looking to spend over £700k on attracting business to their site and "to increase the volume of people booking directly over other online train ticket retailers". (I'm surprised the DfT is allowing TOCs to spend money on taking business away from other retailers, in the current climate...)

Adam Williams

Established Member
I think that 700k would be better spent on fixing the complete mess that is their booking site, if user engagement is what they're going for...

dave87016

Established Member
I had the same problem on Friday with the Avanti website I purchased tickets put payment details in and the following page remained blank

robbeech

Established Member
I see Avanti are looking to spend over £700k on attracting business to their site and "to increase the volume of people booking directly over other online train ticket retailers". (I'm surprised the DfT is allowing TOCs to spend money on taking business away from other retailers, in the current climate...)
Especially given where that money will have come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.