• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviemore to London BoJ overnight Stirling

Leisurefirst

Hi all,
Wondered if anybody could help please in case I am missing something.
Looking to travel this Summer - it would be midweek from Aviemore to Stirling with an overnight stay, then onto either King's Cross or Euston, two tickets with a Two Together railcard, either class.
Want to leave Aviemore at lunchtime, not in the morning preferably, have to be in Stirling before 4pm.
Assumed I would be able to get cheap Advances AVM to STG then cheap advances STG to EUS via Glasgow as these are cheaper than to KGX via Edinburgh.
However, there appear to be no AVM to STG Advances on the 13:34 (arr 15:39 which is perfect) nor on the previous service, meaning a fare of £59.10.
This compares to £52.80 all the way from STG to EUS the next day.
Is there a cheaper way at all please for the whole journey involving break of journey overnight?
Splitting at Dunkeld & Birnam gets the AVM to STG leg down to £56.90 but that is all.
Considering the coach instead (£35 or so) but it involves a change.
And it's a coach.
:)
(Background - want to attend an event in Edinburgh one evening en route to London but the hotels are way too expensive, so the plan is to stay in Stirling overnight as can get to Edinburgh and back in an evening. Any alternative locations happy to consider),

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leisurefirst

Thanks both.
It's for July 10/11.
The ScotRail advances are not available yet however, I did a dummy run for May dates and they never seem to be available on the 13:34 from AVM to STG or the service before :(

trei2k

Is it worth looking now? ScotRail have released advances until Fri, 26th July 2024.

Leisurefirst

Is it worth looking now? ScotRail have released advances until Fri, 26th July 2024.
Ah, thank you.
Only until 5th July for this route it seems.
However, it does appear every week is the same, no Advances on the 13:34 from AVM to GLQ.
We are due to travel from GLQ to AVM first the previous weekend so it looks like the best bet will be rather than two Advances from GLQ £27.50 and Anytime Day Singles to return that I just buy two Anytime Returns from GLQ to AVM for £85.50.
Am I correct in thinking we can break the return journey overnight at Stirling?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ah, thank you.
Only until 5th July for this route it seems.
However, it does appear every week is the same, no Advances on the 13:34 from AVM to GLQ.
We are due to travel from GLQ to AVM first the previous weekend so it looks like the best bet will be rather than two Advances from GLQ £27.50 and Anytime Day Singles to return that I just buy two Anytime Returns from GLQ to AVM for £85.50.
Am I correct in thinking we can break the return journey overnight at Stirling?
An Anytime Return permits break of journey at any intermediate station for as long as you like, within the 5 day outward and 1 month return validity period.

Leisurefirst

An Anytime Return permits break of journey at any intermediate station for as long as you like, within the 5 day outward and 1 month return validity period.
Thank you for that, looks like the best option.
£85.50 2T Railcard GLQ to AVM to STG (stay overnight) to GLQ then £46.20 to EUS.