• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avoiding zone 1 london sat 10th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

I need to travel from near Highgate to Richmond on Saturday 10th December. Normally I'd get the North london line from kentish Town west and avoid zone 1, and get a really cheap fare, but NLL isn't running.The bus replacmemt will take hours and I don't have time to do that. There are multiple other routes all via zone 1. Don't suppose TFL have any easements on fares that normally avoid zone 1 but aren't able available due to engineering work? I know the replacement bus is operating but for a journey like mine it's not realistic.
Or can anyone suggest another route not via zone 1?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I need to travel from near Highgate to Richmond on Saturday 10th December. Normally I'd get the North london line from kentish Town west and avoid zone 1, and get a really cheap fare, but NLL isn't running.The bus replacmemt will take hours and I don't have time to do that. There are multiple other routes all via zone 1. Don't suppose TFL have any easements on fares that normally avoid zone 1 but aren't able available due to engineering work? I know the replacement bus is operating but for a journey like mine it's not realistic.

The only other way I was thinking is the East London Line to Clapham Junction? And then a train to Richmond.

Technically Shoreditch High Street is in zoen one, but if you touch in at High bury and Islington and touch out at Richmond you'll most likely get charged the NLL fare, as it has no way of knowing you went that way.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
You don't actually have to avoid Zone 1 - you just need to touch at one of West Hampstead / West Hampstead Thameslink, Kentish Town West / Kentish Town and Camden Road / Camden Town (in the order given)

With London Overground running east of Camden Road, Richmond - Victoria - Highbury & Islington - Camden Road - Camden Town - Highgate should offer the 'avoiding Zone 1' PAYG fare so long as the only barriers you touch are at Camden Road and Camden Town, walking between the two.

The Oyster / Contactless system isn't intelligent enough to actually know which way you go other than by which readers you touch or don't touch.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You don't actually have to avoid Zone 1 - you just need to touch at one of West Hampstead / West Hampstead Thameslink, Kentish Town West / Kentish Town and Camden Road / Camden Town (in the order given)

With London Overground running east of Camden Road, Richmond - Victoria - Highbury & Islington - Camden Road - Camden Town - Highgate should offer the 'avoiding Zone 1' PAYG fare so long as the only barriers you touch are at Camden Road and Camden Town, walking between the two.

The Oyster / Contactless system isn't intelligent enough to actually know which way you go other than by which readers you touch or don't touch.
I concur with the above, although for the avoidance of doubt you'll use the District line to get from Richmond to Victoria, not National Rail changing at Clapham Junction. The other thing to note is not to touch the pink readers at Highbury & Islington.

Also, there are 3 off-peak fares for this journey. £1.80 is the avoiding zone 1 fare you usually pay. £3.10 is the via zone 1 but Underground only fare. £5.00 is the via zone 1 and using National Rail fare. If you don't mind paying the middle fare then just do Richmond to Embankment on District and then Northern to Highgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.