• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Awards for the most reliable units

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Porterbrook said:
The winners of the Annual Modern Railways Golden Spanner Awards were announced at the Fourth Friday Club meeting on Friday 28th November 2014.

The awards, based on statistical data produced by ATOC, rewards excellence in rolling stock maintenance.

Porterbrook picked up 5 of the 6 available Gold awards as well as 2 Silver and 1 Bronze, a total of 50% of the available awards. The table below shows Porterbrook's winning fleets.

These results underpin Porterbrook's reputation of leading the industry on fleet performance and we would like to thank our partners for their contribution in achieving this success.

Gold - Most Reliable Fleet
Ex BR DMU Class 159/1 South West Trains
Ex BR EMU Class 455 South West Trains
New DMU Class 170 Cross Country
New EMU Class 458/1 South West Trains
Pacer Class 144 Northern

Silver - Most Improved
Ex BR DMU Class 153 London Midland
New DMU Class 170 London Midland

Bronze - Fastest Incident Recovery
New DMU Class 171 Southern

http://www.porterbrook.co.uk/pages/corp2014.html

The most reliable Pacer Class :roll: I imagine that's because they'll never win an award unless it's a Pacer only category. I notice 350s are no longer claimed to be the most reliable new EMU following on from this year's very poor performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Is there any publicly available list of the full data for these? I've often wondered about the details of units that aren't 'best' or 'worst'...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes Modern Railways normally have very good coverage (unsurprisingly seeing as one of their writers is involved in running it) which includes some commentary on the figures and normally gives details on those units that didn't actually win a spanner.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
http://www.porterbrook.co.uk/pages/corp2014.html

The most reliable Pacer Class :roll: I imagine that's because they'll never win an award unless it's a Pacer only category. I notice 350s are no longer claimed to be the most reliable new EMU following on from this year's very poor performance.

458/1??? I thought they were 458/0 (unrefurbished) or 458/5 (refurbed ex 460 or ex 458/0 with a 460 car added)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Must be the less powerful engines in the 159/1s making them more reliable than the /0s

Also toilet doors with actually close with one press of the button.

londiscape

The 458/0 has won it's category three years in a row.

That's interesting - I had thought that the 458 was plagued with reliability problems when it was first introduced. Is it usual for initially unreliable units to become top of the class after a few modifications?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
That's interesting - I had thought that the 458 was plagued with reliability problems when it was first introduced. Is it usual for initially unreliable units to become top of the class after a few modifications?

Given the necessary TLC, yes...The good old "bathtub" curve of reliability. See also: Classes 180 and 357, among others.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

It's not just modifications- there were changes in how they were being serviced and by who.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Must be the less powerful engines in the 159/1s making them more reliable than the /0s

Also toilet doors with actually close with one press of the button.

Usually both batches of 159 are very close to each other and leagues ahead of anything else. You'll probably find very little difference!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Full list is apparently

New generation EMU:
Gold: SWT Class 458/1
Silver: ScotRail Class 380
Bronze: Heathrow Connect Class 360/2 and ScotRail Class 334

Ex-BR EMU:
Gold: SWT Class 455
Silver: ThamesLink Class 321
Bronze: ScotRail Class 314

New generation DMU:
Gold: CrossCountry Class 170
Silver: London Midland Class 170
Bronze: Southern Rail Class 171

Ex-BR DMU:
Gold: SWT Class 159/1
Silver: London Midland Class 153
Bronze: ScotRail Class 156
Pacer: Northern Class 144

Intercity:
Gold: CrossCountry Class 220
Silver: First Great Western Class 180
Bronze: First Great Western Class 180 (again- obviously they didn't want to award it to a Pendolino!)

Geezertronic

Established Member
My cousin showed me a picture of the Golden Spanner award they received for the 170s (XC) :D 7 years of hard work and they recognise him with a spanner on a bit of wood :D:D

Last edited:

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Full list is apparently

New generation DMU:
Gold: CrossCountry Class 170
Silver: London Midland Class 170
Bronze: Southern Rail Class 171

Wonder why the Southern Class 171s don't appear in the Porterbrook list, they are owned by Porterbrook aren't they? Incidentally what other classes than the 170 and 171s are in this category?

In the original post it states that Southerns 171s got a bronze for fastest incident recovery. Anyone know what incident recovery is?

cjmillsnun

Established Member
wonder why the southern class 171s don't appear in the porterbrook list, they are owned by porterbrook aren't they? Incidentally what other classes than the 170 and 171s are in this category?

In the original post it states that southerns 171s got a bronze for fastest incident recovery. Anyone know what incident recovery is?

185, 175, 168, 172

starrymarkb

Established Member
My cousin showed me a picture of the Golden Spanner award they received for the 170s (XC) :D 7 years of hard work and they recognise him with a spanner on a bit of wood :D:D

Hand made and sprayed by Mr Ford I beleive (or at least they were)

DownSouth

Established Member
The most reliable Pacer Class :roll: I imagine that's because they'll never win an award unless it's a Pacer only category.
Industry awards have category of dubious merit created to make sure everyone gets a good chance at a win? Surely not!

Established Member
Usually both batches of 159 are very close to each other and leagues ahead of anything else. You'll probably find very little difference!

One factor is the small size of these fleets, especially the 159/1s. If just one unit from a small fleet has a major problem causing a large number of delay minutes, that has a very big impact on that's fleet's reliability figures.

cjmillsnun

Established Member

SWT's maintenance is second to none. Expect the 458/5 to be getting golden spanners in a couple of years as they learn how to deal with their foibles.

arty762

455 and 458s are as good as they are because of the work the fitters at Wimbledon put into them, we have a great team of fitters, cleaners and logistical staff dedicated to keeping them running.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
SWT's maintenance is second to none. Expect the 458/5 to be getting golden spanners in a couple of years as they learn how to deal with their foibles.

already learning , our guys often showing Alstom and contractors how to fix stuff, one of the top alstom guys is ex wimbledon fitter as well

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Got to agree with Arty.Think that goes down to all SWT maintenance depots.Look at the 455's especially look really nice and so do the Red 456's.Nice on peoples,keep it up.:p

The 458's aren't that bad I think it's mainly the ASDO system which is a problem.

Last edited:

arty762

Got to agree with Arty.Think that goes down to all SWT maintenance depots.Look at the 455's especially look really nice and so do the Red 456's.Nice on peoples,keep it up.:p

The 458's aren't that bad I think it's mainly the ASDO system which is a problem.

give the guys time and they;ll get that under control, like all new stuff it takes time to bed in , we only just got the new asdo test gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.