• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AWC Updated service

Welshman

Established Member
I received an interesting email last Saturday telling me my intended service from North Wales to London by Avanti West Coast had been "updated"
Does this mean I'd been moved to 1st class, or would be given a complimentary cup of coffee, I wondered? No - my train had been cancelled - something I'd discovered for myself by getting-up at the crack of dawn and checking Journeycheck.
Just hope I never receive a communication saying my service has been downgraded. Or perhaps that's normal, especially at the weekend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Just be grateful that they actually told you about your update, I’ve had total silence from them in similar circumstances in the past.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I noticed the 0853 Holyhead-Euston was cancelled yesterday (it was why my following 2-car Flint-Manchester Airport was in sardine mode).
The only mitigating factor might have been that Voyagers were needed for Birmingham-Nuneaton-Euston runs because of the line blockage near Coventry.
But maybe that's giving Avanti too much benefit of the doubt...

gazthomas

Established Member
AWC are a complete shower, even when the Voyagers haven't been repurposed. Railways used to be reliable, terminating short at Crewe, not running at all or even worse, running ECS along the whole Coast has to stop!!!

James H

Or is the use of the word ‘updated’ a reaction to complaints that passengers were receiving emails saying their train was cancelled when in fact it was still running for part of the journey?

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
This isn't unique to Avanti, LNER has sent me notifications on their app saying my train has been "updated" and that it would leave 30 minutes after my original train.

birchesgreen

Established Member
LNWR sent me an email saying my trip a few weeks ago was "updated" but if i went onto their website as they said the schedule was unchanged. I only found out by trying to book the journey again that part of the service was replaced by a bus (which subsequent changes in times for connections). The railway really needs to sort out it's messaging.

jagardner1984

I’m reminded of that glorious line in W1A where BBC lanyard wearers Ben and Jerry are encouraged to apply for their two jobs as one job, before in a further development, Simon informs the group that the new role has been ….

“Reimagined as not existing going forward”

Which would actually make a lot more sense than a lot of current railway comms :D

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I received an interesting email last Saturday telling me my intended service from North Wales to London by Avanti West Coast had been "updated"
Does this mean I'd been moved to 1st class, or would be given a complimentary cup of coffee, I wondered? No - my train had been cancelled - something I'd discovered for myself by getting-up at the crack of dawn and checking Journeycheck.
Just hope I never receive a communication saying my service has been downgraded. Or perhaps that's normal, especially at the weekend.
"Updated" rather than "upgraded"!

AdamWW

Established Member
is that their way of saying it was P-coded the night before so don’t expect any refund?

Can you not get a refund on an advance if it's been removed from the timetable of the day?

I didn't think things were that bad.

poffle

Got a similar email from AWC in relation to a p coded train ( 1A12 08:35 LIV - EUS )

The title of the email clearly said that the train has been cancelled.

A graphic in the the email said "Your journey has been updated".

It than have the details which was that the train had been cancelled

The following details were given as regards options for using the ticket or getting a refund.

Your ticket is valid for travel on the train before or after your booked train or you can travel on any off peak service on the same day.

If the ticket you hold is valid for a specific train operator or route, you must travel with the same operator and route.

Alternatively, if you no longer wish to travel, you can claim a full, fee-free refund. To find out how, click here.

We’re looking forward to
welcoming you onboard soon.

Kind Regards
Avanti West Coast"

AdamWW

Established Member
Got a similar email from AWC in relation to a p coded train ( 1A12 08:35 LIV - EUS )

The title of the email clearly said that the train has been cancelled.

A graphic in the the email said "Your journey has been updated".

It than have the details which was that the train had been cancelled

The following details were given as regards options for using the ticket or getting a refund.

Your ticket is valid for travel on the train before or after your booked train or you can travel on any off peak service on the same day.

If the ticket you hold is valid for a specific train operator or route, you must travel with the same operator and route.

Alternatively, if you no longer wish to travel, you can claim a full, fee-free refund. To find out how, click here.

We’re looking forward to
welcoming you onboard soon.

Kind Regards
Avanti West Coast"

That's more than I would have expected - train before or after regardless of peak restrictions, or any off peak train.