• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Axminster,Just SWT Only Or Anything From Yeovil Pen Mill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersaint

Morning, I can more or less answer this myself but is it only SWT that run through here or do/have there been trains running via Yeovil Pen/Yeovil Junction as I’m sure I’ve seen pictures in the early 80s of a HST/DMU's here ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
When there is work on the line between Castle Cary and Exeter, there are often diversions of FGW trains over this route. I was on one a few years back going to Torquay from Reading.

4SRKT

Established Member
In the more than 25 years I've been familiar with the timetable there have been no scheduled services from Yeovil Pen Mill onto the Withered Arm. That said, the section between Yeovil and Exeter has always been used by the Western Region/FGW/whatever you want to call it as a diversionary route.

Regarding 'SWT' or rather its predecessor the South Western Division of the Southern Region, all trains through Axminster were SR loco-hauled prior to introduction of 159s (in my day class 50s on trains to/from Waterloo, 33s on Brighton or Portsmouth workings). There were a couple of WR DMU short workings between Exeter and Honiton, which may some years have been extended to/from Axminster, but other than this it has always been a SR/SWT stronghold for scheduled services.

Status
Not open for further replies.