Azerbaijan and Georgia.

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by shredder1, 22 Nov 2019.

1. shredder1

shredder1 Established Member

Anyone travelled these countries?, I only have Chris Tarrant to go off

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

Not yet, but it's in my plans. As soon as the new train between Ankara and Tbilissi is operational...

4. shredder1

Thanks yes I`ve been watching that, the Turks seem very slow at building railways though. I think the old Russian stock is safe in Georgia for the moment, but Azerbaijan is a rich country and could be looking towards new stock sooner.

5. transplanted

transplanted Member

Did tblisi to Yerevan overnighter. Booked the tickets at the station. The station is basically a shopping centre with some crumbling platforms. Ride through the countryside with the sunrise is incredible though.

Been to baku too which is certainly more modern. Northern connections to Russia and Ukraine(although not sure this is running at the moment).

6. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

The line is finished, the rolling stock (Staedler variable gauge ) is available (one set) or will be soon (second set), what is missing is just, as far as I know, the border control facilities .

7. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

From Baku, Moscow twice a week, not accessible to foreigners until very recently because of Chechenia unstability, but now seems ok. And once a week, if I remember well, to Kharkhov. At the exception of trains to Crimea, there have been very few perturbations in the railway services caused by the Ukraine events. The most noticeable is the construction of a deviation of the line between Moscow and Rostov na Donu to avoid Ukraine entirely.

From Tbilissi, the trains to Moscow are interrupted, with no hope to see them coming back, because of the secession of Abkhazia. Trains on this line used to go as far as Tehran...

8. shredder1

Thank you very much for all that information, much appreciated, such a shame.

9. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

They have just now ordered 10x Stadler FLIRT, so yeah...

10. superalbs

I am the same in this regard. Hopefully in 2020.

11. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

Plans for 2020 are already set (Egypt - not by train, has only been possible for a few years, but surely some train stuff while on site) but hopefully 2021 should be it. Armenia-Georgia, two weeks on site + one week to go (via Kiev and Baku) and one week to come back (via Istanbul).

12. superalbs

I have decided to visit both in January/February, will report back with my findings. Really looking forward to it, a brand new experience for me.

13. shredder1

Very nice, will look forward to your report.