Back in the day...

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by xotGD, 26 May 2019.

1. 47403

47403 Established Member

Some great traction and sounded like a great time indeed.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far Nick but I get your sentiments.

2. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

"Travellers Fare" sold them back in that era. ;)

3. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

The 'What's been your longest journey?' thread has prompted me to dip into history again. January 1985 - attending interview at Swansea Uni. I set off the evening before, travelling by such exotic services as the York - Shrewsbury and Crewe - Cardiff overnights, and it was an overnight on the way home too. I got home around 36 hours after setting off, and then spent the day in bed!

Full moves:

47435 Newcastle - York 1A40
    47470 York - Crewe 1M41
    47557 Crewe - Cardiff 1V01
    33001 Cardiff - Newport 2C06
    33009 Newport - Cardiff 2B81
    33055 Cardiff - Bridgend 2B77
    47557 Bridgend - Swansea 2B08

Wish I hadn't bailed at Bridgend! So after a few hours fester at Swansea I attended the interview, just about managing to stay awake during a presentation on the beauty of the Gower Peninsula. Then it was back to the station with my fellow 6th formers, most of whom seemed to be from London and could get an HST throughout and be home for bedtime. Not me! After bailing from the tram at Cardiff I had:

33037 Cardiff - Newport 1O93
    DMU Newport - Crewe (I didn't realise this service was a unit rather than a 33 - bugger!)
    47403 Crewe - York 1E24
    47411 York - Newcastle 1N09

Not bad for a free trip - the ticket was reimbursed by the council, who paid for up to 3 uni interview trips.

As it turned out, it would be around 30 years before my next visit to Swansea.

4. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Excellent. I did a bit of 33 bashing on the Portsmouth - Cardiff route occasionally.
    Being right behind the loco as it opened up in the middle of the Severn Tunnel for the climb out was class.

5. 47403

47403 Established Member

Ah the 1A40, that was the one with 2 or 3 coaches tagged on the end of the mail vans wasnt it. If so, I was only talking about that the other day. Done them moves to Crewe a few times too, first few times, with a mate and some older guys, they needed us for the railcards.Then a few of us when a bit older doing overnighters on York or Donnie. Was always usually a 47 but I'd seen, 31s and wagons on it too. I still for the life of me wonder why passenger trains grind to a halt time wise after a certain time. More so now, when lifestyles are 24/7. I certainly believe there be a market for sleepers on the ECML too.

I'm a 47 nut and cant understand why you bailed the 33 either. I think you were secretly craving some big sulzer action but you csnt complain if you got your money back.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2019
  6. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Best thing about bashing 47s - You were rarely disappointed... ;)

7. 47403

47403 Established Member

You could if a wagon showed up. Mind you in the summer timetable, even if an NB 47 turned up, you generally groaned if you were expecting a 37, even if they were big ones. I was just the one, groaning a little bit less than the rest.

8. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

I think A40 still had sleepers back then, not sure though. The other overnights were one or two coaches and a load of vans.

I was hoping for another 33 on the following train when I bailed at Bridgend - not the same 47 I'd just had down from Crewe!

And of course I had 'your machine' on the way back!

9. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

When the Yarmouth - Newcastle dropped a 47 in place of a 37 that was always a huge bowl-out. Especially the time I did it home from Peterborough!

10. 47403

47403 Established Member

Some big 47s landed on it though. I know your not a fan of them, even I used to sigh, if a 47 landed instead of a 37. Surprised you didn't bail at York, though on a Summer Saturday, that was normally the last chance of guaranteed 37 haulage into Toon.
    Were you on the 20s, the day they landed on the Scarborough - Newcastle?
    Although the Eastbourne could sometimes throw up one. The Paignton turn was always a pair of peds.

Some big 37s landed on our doorstep when the 143s were pulled. You like all of us in them days, must've made hay while the sun shined.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2019
  11. 433N

433N Member

I think back in the day, these were called 'Potted Meat' Sandwiches, IIRC.

12. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

I missed the first pair of 20s on the Scarborough - Newcastle as I was up in Scotland that week, but I got the second pair up from Darlo.

Definitely had at least one 37 on the Paignton - time to leaf back through the records again...

13. 47403

47403 Established Member

I must've missed the 37s on the Paignton, was always a pair of peds when we caught it.

14. eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide Established Member

which reminds me of two of my interviews:
    1. Hull University 1980: 47 from KX-Doncaster, the "rattliest Cravens DMU in the world... ever" Doncaster to Hull, but a Deltic on the return train from Hull to London.
    2. Girobank job interview somewhere in Liverpool 1984(?): took a Mk1 sleeper from London to Liverpool. Still didn't feel very refreshed for the interview.

15. D841 Roebuck

D841 Roebuck Established Member

Great thread, which I've just caught up with.

Your 1985 FOS was a couple of weeks after I did one. Was 37175 still spouting outrageous gouts of flame when you were there?

Uni/Poly interviews rang a bell, too. I did an overnight move down to Plymouth in Feb 1984. Electric Manchester to Birmingham, 45143 to Bristol Parkway, a Class 122 bubble on a special connection to Temple Meads, then 50010 to Plymouth. Can't remember the trip back, probably due to randomly running into a former school mate who'd moved to Monmouth 3 years earlier and catching up over a pint or several... :)

16. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

I don't recall flames erupting from any of the 37s!

Plenty of noise though :D