• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back in the day...

xotGD

Established Member
you must've done a few turns on the evening loco hauled Newcastle - Edinburgh stopper? the infamous 1S15
Certainly did. I used to do it more when it came through from Carlisle as the return of 1M04. You used to be able to do it to Chathill for a quick dash for the other loco-hauled stopper back. After nearly missing it one evening and being stranded I decided that it was safer to bale at Alnmouth!

As you've asked nicely, I might just dig out some more duff photos, especially for you :D

At least this is one trip report thread that can keep going through the lockdown!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Certainly did. I used to do it more when it came through from Carlisle as the return of 1M04. You used to be able to do it to Chathill for a quick dash for the other loco-hauled stopper back. After nearly missing it one evening and being stranded I decided that it was safer to bale at Alnmouth!

As you've asked nicely, I might just dig out some more duff photos, especially for you :D

At least this is one trip report thread that can keep going through the lockdown!

Doesn't have to be Duff pics but if you insist. Thanks for that Mr xot.
You'll have to tell me more about the 1M04 via Carlisle.

xotGD

Established Member
Doesn't have to be Duff pics but if you insist. Thanks for that Mr xot.
You'll have to tell me more about the 1M04 via Carlisle.
1M04 was Edinburgh to Carlisle via Newcastle. Stopper to the Toon then Hexham only to Carlisle. Could be a 40, 46 or 47 even the occasional Deltic in their final months. The stock sat in the bays at Carlisle for several hours before returning as 1S15. Some people might have forgotten to get off on arrival at Carlisle and accidentally ended up getting the 08 for haulage on the shunt release. Or something like that.

xotGD

Established Member
Water Orton

Part 1 - 37s

The last day of May 1991 saw me hanging around at Water Orton hoping to take some photographs. On this occasion the plan was successful, and despite the weather being a bit gloomy I was able to capture a few images. I'm starting with the good stuff, and then things might deteriorate (depending on your point of view) by the time we reach Part 3.

Anyway, first up is a big ex-Gateshead syphon. In my book it said 37212 xotGD :D but by this stage it was allocated to Cardiff Canton. Cut up in 2004 without troubling my red pen :( :

37212.jpg

Maintaining the North East theme, 37512 "Thornaby Demon". The former 37022 is still going strong as 37608:

37512.jpg

Whether this is really a 37 is up for debate, but either way, 37904 put in an appearance. The former 37125 was cut in 2004:

37904.jpg

xotGD

Established Member
Part 2 - Type 5s

A Bone and a Tug for your delectation...

58007 - not the best picture quality I'm afraid:

58007.jpg

And here is 60057, named after 'The Father of Economics' Adam Smith. I think I'll leave a discussion of 'The Wealth of Nations' for another thread:

60057.jpg

xotGD

Established Member
Part 3 - Duffs

Yes, I'm afraid so - a trio of Josephs, all in different liveries, and all still with us in a variety of forms.

We start with 47349 with a load that even a Class 31 could cope with. Now to be seen as 57603:

47349.jpg

On a cross-country working twin-tank fitted 47805. Load 7 - better than a 4-car Voyager! The former 47257 and 47650 is now out and about in two-tone green:

47805.jpg

I then headed back in to New Street, and it was back to a north east theme with Generator 47402 sat in Platform 1. "Gateshead" is now on the East Lancashire Railway:

47402.jpg

That's all for this week's installment. More to follow next week...

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Whether this is really a 37 is up for debate, but either way, 37904 put in an appearance. The former 37125 was cut in 2004:

Why do you say that? I was out of the hobby when all the changes to the 37s happened.

xotGD

Established Member
Why do you say that? I was out of the hobby when all the changes to the 37s happened.
I'm just contrasting with what happened when the 47s were reengined to become 57s. 37s without English Electric power units certainly don't sound like 37s - perhaps they should have been reclassified as 38s?

Either way, it was a treat to see a 37/9 around Birmingham when I thought they were restricted to South Wales.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
That's what I didn't know, i.e. the engines changed. I agree with you.

47 or 57 - Duff Schmuff, what does it matter? The engine didn't make a good noise anyway.

xotGD

Established Member

47 or 57 - Duff Schmuff, what does it matter? The engine didn't make a good noise anyway.
You might say that; I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

xotGD

Established Member
Great quote, compelling viewing was the UK (and USA version) “House of Cards” tv drama.
Absolutely.

And I don't want to get into bother with Mr 47403! Hopefully the picture of 402 will make him happy :D

Established Member

Woah Woah Woah, had on a minute here, what's all that about like o_O The noise a 57 makes I can understand but as this link will testify, OK I'm slightly biased, well probably a tad more than slightly in all honesty, this is pure poetry in my book.

You might say that; I couldn't possibly comment
giphy-1.gif
Each to their own guys. Trust me I wont take it to heart, well maybe after a few days.;)
Great reads and pics there. Oh yes the pic of a GD Gennie 47402 helped a lot, especially after reading such a deep hurtful cutting remark Mr NorthWestRanger :lol: in seriousness, I'm good for a laugh. I did laugh when I read the comments, adding you cheeky bar stewards. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.
As regards the slugs, I've heard many a similar arguement about their validity among the 37 community but at least they still retained their class 37 charm, which is more than you can say for the Thunderbird 57's and the slugs didnt sound too bad in my opinion too Mr xot.

but as your a rank n file syphon fan, I can associate with your sentiments too. I like 37s a lot myself too.

No ones feelings was hurt during the writing of this post but if Mr NorthWest Rover goes missing, I had nothing to do with it officer.
PSO7T3ODINCH5BLAHU5NERLQ3A.jpg

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
I'm going to keep away from 37s and 47s next time - hopefully I can find a subject matter that will unite the forum...

xotGD

Established Member
:lol:
There was no offence taken, I sincerely hope I haven't offended you too.
Of course not mate - I'm enjoying the banter!

I'm sure normal EE/Sulzer hostilities can be resumed soon enough :D

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I enjoy reading about the old trips and seeing the old pics whether they are my type of traction or not. I watched a YouTube video from Manchester Victoria in late 80s the other day that was units, Duffs and perhaps a Goyle (I like them), but it was just interesting seeing the old traction and coaches. And the low number of passengers.

xotGD

Established Member
I enjoy reading about the old trips and seeing the old pics whether they are my type of traction or not. I watched a YouTube video from Manchester Victoria in late 80s the other day that was units, Duffs and perhaps a Goyle (I like them), but it was just interesting seeing the old traction and coaches. And the low number of passengers.
I have a dig at 31s thinking I'd be on safe ground, and it turns out you like them!

Established Member
31s yeah, they couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding though but I've had some canny trips behind 31s, normally running late mind.
I'm not stepping into a wagon debate Mr NorthWestRover o_O:lol:
I'd like to hear some good ole fashioned 40 bashing stories too. They'd almost disappeared in the North East when I went out bashing. They were rare enough on freight up here nevermind passenger turns.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
It's almost 40 years ago and my books are all in the garage at my ex's. She has them ready to give to me, but obviously can't deliver them at the moment .

My bashing time was relatively short-lived, 80 to 84 seriously (I was a spotter 76 to 80) , then 84 to 90 on and off and most of my 40 bashing was over two wonderful summers of 1982 and 1983, particularly on the North Wales Coast.

I'll post some days of moves , and possibly even photos, when I get hold of them.

xotGD

Established Member
It's almost 40 years ago and my books are all in the garage at my ex's. She has them ready to give to me, but obviously can't deliver them at the moment .

My bashing time was relatively short-lived, 80 to 84 seriously (I was a spotter 76 to 80) , then 84 to 90 on and off and most of my 40 bashing was over two wonderful summers of 1982 and 1983, particularly on the North Wales Coast.

I'll post some days of moves , and possibly even photos, when I get hold of them.
Yes please!

xotGD

Established Member
Here's a couple of 68s at Marylebone back in April last year. 14 was on the slam door set - proper thrash from the front vestibule to Haddenham & Thame Parkway :D

I then did 15 to Oxford and back to London - not bad for an after work bash!

Cats 12 and 14.jpg

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I lived in Oxford in the late 80s and had quite a few Hoovers as they were doing the Paddington services back then.

xotGD

Established Member
I lived in Oxford in the late 80s and had quite a few Hoovers as they were doing the Paddington services back then.
In 1989 I had a few months living in Slough. My regular Sunday outing was a Hoover to Padd, visit a couple of pubs then a Hoover back.