• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
A Return to the Good Old Days! - Thursday 30th June 2022
(Key: For Sight / For Haulage / For Sight & Haulage)

This outing had been in the offing for some time from the moment I was contacted by Lord @47403 who advised of his intention to once again visit the East Lancashire Railway for their Diesel Gala.

And so with a plan in place for me to meet the legend of the North East trainspotting scene along with his lovely girlfriend, Treena, at Bury Bolton Street station it was off to Stafford for an early start on 221120 for a journey which would take this dud unit into the 100 mile club through to Manchester Piccadilly. It was a standard Voyager journey into Manchester with little to note, particularly as I was seated on the wrong side to view the goings on at Longport EMD. Not to worry though, today wasn't about mainline stuff, well not much anyway and with that in mind it was only a brief stint at Piccadilly but this did allow me to chalk off 331013 for sight before I headed into the depths of the station to meet a tram. Typically the tram arrived just as I was trying to purchase my ticket and after a bit of button bashing to speed things up, I got my ticket just in time to dive onto the tram. Just the single tram on this one and it soon filled up along the way but before we knew it Bury was upon us and I was off and making my dash through the streets and towards the ELR. I did manage to chalk off the following trams for sight though:

3135, 3140, 3124, 3129 & 3023

I surprised myself in being able to locate Bury Bolton Street station so easily and I am met by the sight of a beaming 47403, waiting outside the station for my arrival having stayed in the area the night before! Pleasantries exchanged and Treena located, we ventured down to the platforms where 47765 was already waiting to work the first train of the day and so it was straight aboard to bag ourselves a compartment. Well....I say straight aboard........there was a ritual to be completed before we boarded......and Mr 47403 didn't let us down as he placed a smacker on the side of 47765 o_O:o It is simply what these beasts do to the man! After that was complete, we climbed aboard and found a compartment free and made ourselves extremely comfortable in the fantastic coaching stock on offer. We had arrived early and so there was quite a wait, particularly whilst a member of the ELR staff walked the length of the train, seemingly making sure the wheels were still attached :D Mr 47403's excitement was at fever point now as he constantly threw his head out of the window, waiting for that first noise from that Sulzer engine up front but whilst we did wait there was plenty of discussion to be had regarding a new "campervan" nickname afforded to the Class 47 fleet by Treena, owing to the shape of their front! Safe to say Mr 47403 was not impressed with this and I am not sure whether I found the new nickname funnier, or Mr 47403's reaction :D

The time finally came....with the toot of a whistle outside, that sound we had all waited for kicked in up front and the coaching stock creaked and squeaked as the 47 began to do its thing at the front. Treena, having announced that this was a dud for sight and haulage (she is undertaking a trainspotters training course from 47403 :D ) then brought more laughter to us by advising that the 47 sounded like it had a grumbling tummy - maybe she had a point, maybe it's that engine wanting to do more than get to 25mph that gives off that impression! Anyway, it was only a short but noisy hop on the 47 though and soon Ramsbottom was on top of us and it was time to alight
20220630_090847.jpg

A quick dash over the footbridge was done before I realised that our planned next move was off the same platform we had arrived on and so it was back across the footbridge to meet with 40145 as it arrived into Ramsbottom on route to Rawtenstall
20220630_092302.jpg

This loco was not required for sight but it was most definitely required for haulage and boy did it perform well between Ramsbottom and Rawtenstall, so much so that after a brief photo opportunity and a chance to visit the café at Rawtenstall we decided to ride the loco back to Ramsbottom to enjoy more of that whistling joy! It was off at Ramsbottom to meet up with another noisy loco as Locomotive Services' 20096 rolled into Rammy with Class 14 D9531
20220630_102811.jpg

We took these 2 amazing loco's back to Rawtenstall where the 20 was detached and ran around the stock to lead us back to Bury bonnet first and by itself, serving up some fantastic noise as we went. Neither of these loco's were a need for me, typically the other LSL 20 sent to the ELR wasn't out on the Thursday and that was required for haulage - but as a certain MP has said recently....thems the breaks! Anyway, despite it being a dud, the Class 20 performed superbly back to Bury offering plenty of power as the driver played up to his adoring crowd. Back at Bury and we got to see the sole surviving Co-Bo Class 28, D5705, on display with its bonnet open
20220630_114638.jpg

but we also needed to move for the next train and it was time for some 50 action as 50015 was already waiting in the platform and so we were across the bridge and straight on board, and with the crowds growing, the trains were filling up nicely which is great to see after what heritage lines have been through in recent years.
20220630_115325.jpg

Having enjoyed the 50 during our last visit to the ELR in 2019, we chose to do another Ramsbottom leap where we could meet with 26007 which is a winner for everything for me and which also had 47765 on the rear for a run to Bury. We located ourselves in the rear carriage owing to the fact that the front carriages were rammed, and were lucky enough to find a compartment we could share with a solitary gent and his dog. I ventured to the rear door to be next to the 47 and enjoy that tick over sound as the 26 did all the work up front, but shortly into the trip I heard a bit of commotion from the compartment we had taken space in as Treena seemingly had something stuck at the back of her throat (behave yourselves!) and a coughing fit ensued. Me and 47403 were adamant this was some sort of revenge mission from the 47 just behind us for it being called a "campervan" by Treena earlier in the day :D Either way, a bit of water and a bit of breeze from the open windows seemed to do the trick and she was back to full strength before we had reached Bury. We knew the next move would be a popular one and so with coffee on the agenda, we agreed I would race across the bridge to get us some seats on board whilst them pair visited the café on route. And all of this was because of DCR 60046 which was another visitor to the line for this gala and was another multi winner for me as I don't tend to see many DCR workings out on the mainline around my neck of the woods. 47403 returned without coffee but with cold drinks just in time for the departure as the race for coffee was one done by lots of others before the 60 departed. It was a busy service but we did manage to get a window for ourselves in the hope of hearing plenty of noise up front as we ventured from Bury to Rawtenstall but I won't lie, I was pretty disappointed with the performance. I know it is hard for loco's usually used to pulling long heavy trains on the mainline to perform in the same way on a heritage line, but it didn't offer much to get the juices flowing! 47403 was caught in 2 minds at this point whether to ride the 60 all the way back to Bury to maximise their Class 37 haulage later in the day as I had planned to leap at Rammy once again to connect onto the double headed 33109 and 26007 - 33109 being another winner for me. We all did the leap in the end, with the lack of excitement from the Class 60 being a defining factor for Mr 47403 and we weren't to be disappointed with the pair of Sulzer's up front doing us proud as we headed back to Rawtenstall where it was time for some pastry based products to feed our bellies
20220630_143934.jpg 20220630_144001.jpg

At Rawtenstall, it was the turn of a Class 40 which had travelled with us on the rear of the train we travelled to Rawtenstall on and it was left to 45108, another winner for everything, to haul us as far as Ramsbottom with 26007 and 33109 remaining on the rear
20220630_144310.jpg

It is safe to say that Mr 47403 is not entirely enamoured with the Class 45 locos and Ramsbottom couldn't come quick enough for him and more importantly for Treena who has really fell in love with a certain class of locomotive and it was that class that we would be meeting next. I'd spotted a friend filming on the Rammy platforms and so was chatting away when I heard the growl but safe to say that neither of my travelling companions had hung around for me amongst their excitement and so it was over the bridge once again just in time for the arrival of Harry Needle's 37703, looking particularly resplendent in its BR Blue livery and having re-located my companions, we boarded for the run to Rawtenstall and for the first time today, it was Treena who was hogging the windows as she sought a bit of flailing action as the 37 thrashed us to Rawtenstall. The layover at Rawtenstall offered a chance to watch the 37 run around its stock for the return journey back to Ramsbottom once again and it's safe to say that the return was equally as enjoyable as the first trip behind this fantastic machine
20220630_154637(0).jpg

We leapt at Ramsbottom to enable us to meet yet another visitor in the form of 68031 and although it is not one for sight, it was definitely a requirement for haulage and so it was back to Rawtenstall once again with the CAT certainly not letting us down on either this run or the one that took us back to Ramsbottom from Rawtenstall
20220630_162139.jpg

The final run on the 68 was timetabled as an "express" service with no stops between Rawtenstall and Bury but a break was had at Rammy and so we decided to take the opportunity for the novelty of some shunter haulage with 09024 and Class 03 D2062 being winners for everything during the gala day. And with that it was back to Bury for the end of the gala day, and what a truly superb day it had been with great traction and great company.

With a long drive ahead for Mr 47403 and his other half, we ventured out of the station and whilst they sought some food from a local takeaway, we said our goodbyes as I ventured back to the tram stop for my return back to Piccadilly. The return tram was not quite as busy and again I was able to tick off a few more trams on the way with 3043, 3041 & 3103 each going into the book before we reached Piccadilly where I ventured into the main station and was able to catch up with another friend off Twitter as he completed a shift with TPE to end a great day with another catch up! It was left to 220002, already in the 100 mile club, to take me back from Manchester to Stafford and unfortunately, it was another full and standing room only Voyager for me to put up with as a top day was brought to a close!

The day had yielded:
  • 17 Winners for Sight
  • 9 Winners for Haulage

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
A great read and some nice phots Mr Train.

I think it is fair to say that we all had a good day at the ELR, whether it was the Thursday or the Saturday.

Bad luck on missing out on a required 20, but with so many locos at the gala, not everything can work every day. 40145 wasn't out on the Saturday, so I might need to pop back later in the summer for some Whistler action.

Do you have any more diesel gala visits planned?

The_Train

Established Member
A good day in the West Midlands Mr Train :)
Thanks Kite, it certainly was :)
I missed this earlier somehow! Excellent day out there, nice work on catching those 91s on the way to scrap (I am out of the loop, didn't know that was happening) too.

As you may see soon enough on my trip report thread, I was in Stafford the day after, also on a WMDR! We'll organise an actual meet-up some time, even if it's just for a coffee break or something between trains/rides!
I only caught wind of the 91 move the night before - seemed only right to salute them on their way!
I was out of the area the day after (as you'll see in my latest write up) so as ever our paths failed to cross haha. Yep, we will definitely have a catch up in some way at some point soon :)
A great read and some nice phots Mr Train.

I think it is fair to say that we all had a good day at the ELR, whether it was the Thursday or the Saturday.

Bad luck on missing out on a required 20, but with so many locos at the gala, not everything can work every day. 40145 wasn't out on the Saturday, so I might need to pop back later in the summer for some Whistler action.

Do you have any more diesel gala visits planned?
The ELR always put a good show on, and as you say we can't have everything working all of the time. Had my required 20 ran, it could have easily been at the loss of another winner so its all swings and roundabouts.

I've not really looked at any other galas yet but there are a few lines I'd like to do soon. My next outing will be the DRS Open Day

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You clearly enjoyed the day on the ELR, and I can see why, there were some big beasts out. 40145 is definitely a fine machine, and I am long overdue a return to the ELR. I actually can't remember when I last did a heritage line, I'd have to say it was probably the SVR but when exactly I can't be sure. It was the gala 88003 starred in, but I have no dates here. Maybe, just maybe, I will have to turn up to a heritage railway soon!

Wednesdays or Thursdays are my only likely day to do a meet at the moment, but hopefully yes it will get organised eventually!

The_Train

Established Member
You clearly enjoyed the day on the ELR, and I can see why, there were some big beasts out. 40145 is definitely a fine machine, and I am long overdue a return to the ELR. I actually can't remember when I last did a heritage line, I'd have to say it was probably the SVR but when exactly I can't be sure. It was the gala 88003 starred in, but I have no dates here. Maybe, just maybe, I will have to turn up to a heritage railway soon!

Wednesdays or Thursdays are my only likely day to do a meet at the moment, but hopefully yes it will get organised eventually!
I always enjoy a trip on a heritage line - that's the SVR and ELR ticked off this year so far :)

I will bear your Weds and Thurs in mind. My midweek availability is based on my weekend shifts as we get rest days in the week when pencilled in for a weekend shift. Unfortunately the days in the week are pretty much selected randomly so next time I have a Weds/Thurs free I shall try to remember to get in touch with you :)

Established Member
Good day Mr Train.
I have to say both the other half and I had a bloody good laugh at your ELR Trip Report, bloody good read and thoroughly entertaining as usual mate.

I'm trying my best to educate the other half and without putting her down, she does get mixed up and the results of this can be hilarious. I did tell her to say to Mr Train, when we get 26007, say, oh this is a dud for me. In hope, I can help show him, she's grasping the terminology. However she obviously forgot, when I asked if she had anything to say to Mr Train about 26007, she stared blankly and said, is it a whistling shed. No dear, that was for the 20 and it's a whistling wardrobe, a term she picked up at the KWVR off a Syphon Basher, who was shouting remove the whistling wardrobe, when 20031 and 37075 were double headed and the 20 leading up to Haworth Shed. Them guys also taught her how to flail and encouraged her to go for it. In fairness she did too. We didnt see it but she admitted she'd flailed with 37703 too. So shes trying, bless her cotton socks. VEry trying indeed :D

As usual young sir, always a pleasure to meet and share the company Squire. I eagerly await the next installment of your sojourns elsewhere.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Good day Mr Train.
I have to say both the other half and I had a bloody good laugh at your ELR Trip Report, bloody good read and thoroughly entertaining as usual mate.

I'm trying my best to educate the other half and without putting her down, she does get mixed up and the results of this can be hilarious. I did tell her to say to Mr Train, when we get 26007, say, oh this is a dud for me. In hope, I can help show him, she's grasping the terminology. However she obviously forgot, when I asked if she had anything to say to Mr Train about 26007, she stared blankly and said, is it a whistling shed. No dear, that was for the 20 and it's a whistling wardrobe, a term she picked up at the KWVR off a Syphon Basher, who was shouting remove the whistling wardrobe, when 20031 and 37075 were double headed and the 20 leading up to Haworth Shed. Them guys also taught her how to flail and encouraged her to go for it. In fairness she did too. We didnt see it but she admitted she'd flailed with 37703 too. So shes trying, bless her cotton socks. VEry trying indeed :D

As usual young sir, always a pleasure to meet and share the company Squire. I eagerly await the next installment of your sojourns elsewhere.
Thanks mate :) was a pleasure to spend the day with you both!
Glad you enjoyed the write up. Your other half is amazing mate, not just for putting up with you ;) but also how she has taken on an enjoyment of this hobby so you can enjoy it together! Her knowledge is really good to be fair and I love the variations of nicknames she comes up with :D And I still giggle now when thinking of her saying something you needed was dud for everything for her :D:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.