• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Backwards and forwards on one LNER service

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
LNER services to/from Bradford or Skipton (as well as Harrogate) reverse at Leeds

There are plenty of other services which reverse en route

All Caledonian Sleeper journeys except to/fromGlasgow (at Carstairs for Edinburgh, at Edinburgh for the Highlander)
Unless they’ve run as a planned diversion from King’s Cross. Of course if they run from Euston via the East Coast they reverse at Wembley instead.
Ascot to Guildford (at Aldershot)
This service has now been split into separate Ascot-Aldershot and Farnham-Guildford trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1537

So, the question appears to be - is there, or has there been in recent memory, a service that reverses FOUR times in its booked journey?

(I think we may have to exclude the booked WCML Saturday night engineering operations that went via the Lostock or Chester triangles, as that's 3 reversals in itself - but perhaps that's two different questions)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So, the question appears to be - is there, or has there been in recent memory, a service that reverses FOUR times in its booked journey?

(I think we may have to exclude the booked WCML Saturday night engineering operations that went via the Lostock or Chester triangles, as that's 3 reversals in itself - but perhaps that's two different questions)
Yes, the Waterloo to Corfe Castle services. Reversed at Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Weymouth and Wareham.

Jim Jehosofat

The old Central Trains summer Saturday service from Great Yarmouth to Liverpool would reverse at Norwich, Ely and Sheffield. Can't think of any service that reversed four times.

Stampy

The old Central Trains summer Saturday service from Great Yarmouth to Liverpool would reverse at Norwich, Ely and Sheffield. Can't think of any service that reversed four times.

Didn't some of them use the Ely avoider line???

I seem to remember going on a train to Great Yarmouth that DID use the avoider...

Jim Jehosofat

Their used to be a turn that was empty coaching stock Norwich to Yarmouth, Yarmouth to Peterborough calling only at Norwich and Peterborough to Yarmouth calling at Ely and Norwich. Think it was then empties back to Norwich from memory. In those days the Ely West Curve could only be used from the Norwich direction.

D1537

Yes, the Waterloo to Corfe Castle services. Reversed at Yeovil Junction, Yeovil Pen Mill, Weymouth and Wareham.
Excellent knowledge that - I wouldn't have considered a service that was over such a short distance.

Mike99

Leeds station is more east west then north south, so the LNER service comes from the south and turns east into Leeds, then leaving Leeds west bound turns north, then starts to swing back on itself

on my picture it comes in along the line marked 85mph from the bottom and leaves along the line marked 60mph to the top
Hi, Which site is your map attachment from. Thank You

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Good for rare track, but it seems odd to take such a circuitous route. If it had gone via Southampton it could have got to Corfe Castle without reversing at all. Were Salisbury and Yeovil full of people wanting to visit Corfe castle, and Southampton wasn't? I'd have thought there were better connections at Southampton too.

Status
Not open for further replies.