• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad day on SouthEastern 23/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Daughter desperately trying to get home today. 2 x services on the Maidstone East line cancelled due to track circuit failure and now she's stranded at Strood because the incoming service was cancelled at Cuxton and the following service has already been cancelled <(<(<(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleandrail

Daughter desperately trying to get home today. 2 x services on the Maidstone East line cancelled due to track circuit failure and now she's stranded at Strood because the incoming service was cancelled at Cuxton and the following service has already been cancelled <(<(<(
Will you be able to pick her up or arrange to have her picked up. Would help her somewhat

Edsmith

Been an absolute nightmare with services suspended between Borough Green and Otford, there is a limited replacement bus service. Apparently it's hoped to have the line reopened within the next hour. I don't what the problem is on the Medway Valley line?

CarrotPie

Been an absolute nightmare with services suspended between Borough Green and Otford, there is a limited replacement bus service. Apparently it's hoped to have the line reopened within the next hour. I don't what the problem is on the Medway Valley line?
Lots of services seemed to be cancelled due to "Other technical failures above the solebar" according to RTT.

jnjkerbin

Southeastern seem to have been having a nightmare with infrastructure problems these last few days. There was a signalling problem that closed half of Charing Cross on Wednesday and then another that closed half of Cannon Street on Thursday. On Tuesday there was a points failure at Wadhurst, a signalling problem at Lewisham (which is practically a weekly occurance!) and a signaller taken ill with no relief that shut the line through Faversham for several hours. And then on Monday there was a power failure on the Sidcup line and a signal failure at Grove Park. Combined with various cancellations due to traincrew shortages and faulty trains (I guess due to last week's weather) it's been a pretty bad week.

paul1609

Established Member
Assuming her final destination is Maidstone she needs to get to Chatham Station and then take the 101 bus to Maidstone East (21 mins).

MrB

Southeastern has been a shambles since the new timetable on 11 Dec, though admittedly none of it can be blamed on that. Snow absolutely paralysed the network, then strikes did the same, followed by this week being plagued by infrastructure problems (signal issues at Charing X & Cannon St, trouble at Grove Park, the Sidcup line being totally out of use earlier in the week, a points failure at Wadhurst, fire at Tunbridge Wells, as well a plethora of issues in north Kent). Not sure on the cause but has been even more of a shambles than usual lately.

brad465

Established Member
Southeastern seem to have been having a nightmare with infrastructure problems these last few days. There was a signalling problem that closed half of Charing Cross on Wednesday and then another that closed half of Cannon Street on Thursday. On Tuesday there was a points failure at Wadhurst, a signalling problem at Lewisham (which is practically a weekly occurance!) and a signaller taken ill with no relief that shut the line through Faversham for several hours. And then on Monday there was a power failure on the Sidcup line and a signal failure at Grove Park. Combined with various cancellations due to traincrew shortages and faulty trains (I guess due to last week's weather) it's been a pretty bad week.
There was a broken down train near Aylesford yesterday, I wasn't travelling on that line but I was held at the level crossing around 10:40 (while cycling), and the barriers mysteriously lifted despite no train passing over for a few minutes. When I got infront of a computer I saw RTT showing the affected train, then National Rail said the train had to be moved back to the station and in turn it blocked the whole line given its service nature.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Did your daughter manage to get the next train to Maidstone West in the end?

Don't forget that a compensation claim could be made for the delay at https://delayrepay.southeasternrailway.co.uk - although I respect the fact that it does not make up for it.
Hi yes, she was going to find a bus but it would have departed at around the same time as the later train; so she waited for that instead. Given that she had an hour to spend, she had a quick nosey around Rochester

She had to travel further than Maidstone but had planned to meet her mother in town - she made it home eventually...

Now we have to worry about how reliable SE trains will be tomorrow morning....

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hi yes, she was going to find a bus but it would have departed at around the same time as the later train; so she waited for that instead. Given that she had an hour to spend, she had a quick nosey around Rochester

She had to travel further than Maidstone but had planned to meet her mother in town - she made it home eventually...

Now we have to worry about how reliable SE trains will be tomorrow morning....
I know it's tough to say it but unfortunately I don't think any can really be relied on if it is a time critical appointment during the current three-ish weeks of industrial action. It may be better on most routes from Monday 9 January onwards, but there is no guarantee.

traingeek97

It’s been a really struggle over these past few weeks. I was looking forward to the new Maidstone East to Charing Cross services, but the five or so times I’ve tried to use it, it’s either been cancelled or diverted to Blackfriars.

Edsmith

It’s been a really struggle over these past few weeks. I was looking forward to the new Maidstone East to Charing Cross services, but the five or so times I’ve tried to use it, it’s either been cancelled or diverted to Blackfriars.
It has been a somewhat inauspicious start for the Maidstone East to Charing Cross service, in fairness to Southeastern a lot of it has been infrastructure problems like today.

Status
Not open for further replies.