• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baildon landslip

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As expected 2 homes will sadly have to be demolished.
Highly unusual use of NR’s statutory powers, as the BBC explain.

Can anyone remember anything like this happening in recent times? I’m sure they’ll have used emergency access provisions over private land but I don’t remember a recent case of property demolition?

snowball

Established Member
There's to be an item about the house(s) involved on Look North (Leeds) on BBC1 at 2230.

It may for all I know have also been on the 1830 edition - I haven't checked.

SimplyLlama

There's to be an item about the house(s) involved on Look North (Leeds) on BBC1 at 2230.

It may for all I know have also been on the 1830 edition - I haven't checked.
It was featured at 1830, employee from NR said that the line would be shut for around 3 months once they have knocked the houses down. Ironic considering the expected deadline stated on the article of June!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It was featured at 1830, employee from NR said that the line would be shut for around 3 months once they have knocked the houses down. Ironic considering the expected deadline stated on the article of June!
I wonder what the neighbour on the left (ie nearer the road bridge) is thinking about his house’s future…

snowball

Established Member
I wonder what the neighbour on the left (ie nearer the road bridge) is thinking about his house’s future…
A woman who lives in a neighbouring house, possibly that one, was in the item. There's monitoring equipment in her garden and she said it showed no movement so far.

M&NEJ

Earlier in the thread it was noted that the more easterly of the 2 houses (the one on the "Ilkley side") had been subject to an extension, the implication being that it could have de-stabilised the bank. I'm just curious as to whether that has been mentioned further at all.

Veteran Member
Earlier in the thread it was noted that the more easterly of the 2 houses (the one on the "Ilkley side") had been subject to an extension, the implication being that it could have de-stabilised the bank.
That was based on a misreading (by me) of a photo and related to a property diagonally opposite. The post has recently been corrected.
The actual property is relatively new with some "1interesting" foundations but there's no obvious evidence of an extension.

M&NEJ

That was based on a misreading (by me) of a photo and related to a property diagonally opposite. The post has recently been corrected.
The actual property is relatively new with some "1interesting" foundations but there's no obvious evidence of an extension.
OK, many thanks for clarifying that.

Bantamzen

Established Member

As expected 2 homes will sadly have to be demolished.
Sadly I'm not surprised, judging by some of the drone shots taken recently both properties will be seriously undermined by the landslide. Awful for the two house owners whom I believe have lived in the area for some time.

So it's going to be RRBs for some time, which for the most part have been working reasonably well. My only criticism is that when they get delayed there doesn't seem to be any comms between the coach company, the staff brought in to manage the RRBs and Northern. A couple of times since the started I've had to abandon waiting for them and get a local bus as they've been 20+ mins late with no word to the waiting passengers as to what the situation was.