• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ballast advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
The tedious task of ballasting the main lines on Charmouth is well under way (the classic way, using diluted PVA glue - and discovering that you can adjust the alignment afterwards by wetting the area again, which I didn't know).

Next up are the goods yard and loco yard - any thoughts and advice on either area. Is there a mix to represent a loco yard "trackbed" of coal dust, oil, dirt and ballast?

Any tips welcome, thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Personally I’ve always done the entire layout with pretty much the same ballast as a base, but then on areas that are yards which might often have older and more compacted ballast I’ve sprinkled something finer and more dusty over the top before the PVA dries.

I then tone it down with a variety of different methods, including water based washes and sometimes even airbrushing the really grimy areas where locos stand for lengths of time.

Another thing that works quite well is to mix up a dark wash and brush a centre line along the track between the rails. I found that looked quite convincing.

Big Jumby 74

Next up are the goods yard and loco yard - any thoughts and advice on either area. Is there a mix to represent a loco yard "trackbed" of coal dust, oil, dirt and ballast?
Have you ever tried a plaster of paris mix? Basically bury the sleepers as much (or not) as you are happy with, and the area around the rails, after painting, or whatever finish you apply on top, will look like solid compacted earth. Only down side being that any sections of track so treated, will likely be only good for scrap if you decide on a change of layout at a later date!

4COR

Have you ever tried a plaster of paris mix? Basically bury the sleepers as much (or not) as you are happy with, and the area around the rails, after painting, or whatever finish you apply on top, will look like solid compacted earth. Only down side being that any sections of track so treated, will likely be only good for scrap if you decide on a change of layout at a later date!
Have also seen the approach of ballast and then modelling clay (like DAS) manually pushed between sleepers etc with some water to smooth as needed, and then weathered/colours appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.