• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ballast train at Market Deeping last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthStand

I was on the 20:30 Peterborough [PBO] to Spalding [SPA] when it was cancelled due to a freight train problem ahead of it. Anyone have any more details?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
If I understood it correctly, this was a short term planning issue whereby the line was blocked by ballast trains before the last passenger train had passed. As a result the rounder had to be cancelled.

High Dyke

Established Member
If I understood it correctly, this was a short term planning issue whereby the line was blocked by ballast trains before the last passenger train had passed. As a result the rounder had to be cancelled.
Indeed that is the case... One of the problems was the late arrival of the ballast trains, some held up by a points failure at Welwyn Garden City.

ultrabox

Possession on the down between Littleworth and Tinsleys UWC. Had engineering trains parked outside the house overnight with the autoballaster parked on the Up line today which has literally just come to life.

Normally us railway neighbours get some notice of overnight works which didn't happen.
Nice having 66's blasting their horns in the wee hours of Sun morning.

pjnathanail

They cut it fine to cancel that then, I was on the 2026 to Nottingham (which left at 2032) and it was still running then. It was a little chaotic at PBO yesterday, with short notice platform changes everywhere.
Did they bustitute or taxi?

SouthStand

Sat on the train until about 20:55, then they announced it cancelled. Waited in the foyer for 10 to 15 minutes before a taxi got us back to SPA around 21:40. Don't understand why the ballast train was on the line. Should it have finished that track section before our train arrived, or did they mistakenly allow it down to SPA before the 20:30 had a chance to set off?

D1009

Established Member
Sat on the train until about 20:55, then they announced it cancelled. Waited in the foyer for 10 to 15 minutes before a taxi got us back to SPA around 21:40. Don't understand why the ballast train was on the line. Should it have finished that track section before our train arrived, or did they mistakenly allow it down to SPA before the 20:30 had a chance to set off?
Looks like a planning cockup to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.