• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury ICC - The Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath9425

Hi All,

Have finally got around to publishing my local magazine, 'Your Banbury'.

Now as by chance ... there happens to be a report on Pages 2/3 of the Banbury Integrated Control Center run by Chiltern Railways I have done when I recently visited!

To view the publication visit this link (5MB PDF File)

http://www.yourbanbury.co.uk/clicks/click.php?id=3

This is just a one off report to do with the railways, next month will be back to normal with local news :D

I hope you enjoy the read, a little something different I thought! Any comments much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
I think you've got a reasonable 'first effort' there. Hope you dont mind me coming up with a couple of comments which are intended to be constructive rather than a criticism:

* It looks odd with pages 1 and 6 being alone, but 2/3 and 4/5 side by side. I'd put them all individually
* Decide if you want the columns fully justified or not. On the main story on page 2, the first 2 columns are left and right justified, but the third isn't on the right.
* Be careful of grammar - incite should be insight!

I look forward to seeing Issue 2, keep up the hard work. Are you doing this as part of a school/college project?

nath9425

I don't mind a bit of criticism.

* It looks odd with pages 1 and 6 being alone, but 2/3 and 4/5 side by side. I'd put them all individually

Purposely done as if you were reading a real magazine - for example, You see the front page, open the next and you have a 'Double Spread' - Then on the back page you get sport .. and that is a single page. Get my drift?

* Decide if you want the columns fully justified or not. On the main story on page 2, the first 2 columns are left and right justified, but the third isn't on the right.

Looked alright to me .. :lol: Although I will look into it for future editions.

* Be careful of grammar - incite should be insight!

Adobe didn't pick that up! :oops: Oh well, we all make mistakes..

Even in our especially written T&C's we state

We cannot be held responsible for any errors, mistakes or misleading information, adverts or pictures that may cause any form of harm or distress in any of our publications or emails.

I look forward to seeing Issue 2, keep up the hard work. Are you doing this as part of a school/college project?
#

It's not at the moment, but soon will be :)

Cheers for all your comments.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Might want to check the visited links code, Times New Roman ;)

Thats a very big IE bug I can't seem to fix - even with a:visited in CSS.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Purposely done as if you were reading a real magazine - for example, You see the front page, open the next and you have a 'Double Spread' - Then on the back page you get sport .. and that is a single page. Get my drift?

I realised what you were trying to do, but I don't think it works - it looks messy, especially if people want to print it out! Th majority of e-journals have all their pages the same size (and I deal with several hundred electronic publications in my job each week!).

Adobe didn't pick that up! :oops: Oh well, we all make mistakes..

Even in our especially written T&C's we state

That doesn't make it ok to make mistakes!! Nobody's perfect though, made a few howlers in my time I can assure you, one of which included having to get 4 pages of 1000 magazines printed again - luckily, it hadn't been collated when I realised my error. Fortunately as I was a regular customer, the printers didn't change me for the extra work.

nath9425

I realised what you were trying to do, but I don't think it works - it looks messy, especially if people want to print it out! Th majority of e-journals have all their pages the same size (and I deal with several hundred electronic publications in my job each week!).

That doesn't make it ok to make mistakes!! Nobody's perfect though, made a few howlers in my time I can assure you, one of which included having to get 4 pages of 1000 magazines printed again - luckily, it hadn't been collated when I realised my error. Fortunately as I was a regular customer, the printers didn't change me for the extra work.

Thanks for the advice...

Although, I don't actually have a job considering I am still in school - I still think it was worthy of a publish - even for a first attempt..these things take time! :lol:

Bighat

Well done Nathan, an excellent effort.

I too was going to comment on the spelling of 'insight', but was beaten to it.

Also, being pedantic once again, beware the AMERICAN spell-checker. 'Traveller' has two letter 'L', something our American friends don't seem to bother with!

Finally, referring to the snow report, shouldn't if be staffs', with an apostrophe?

However, that's picky, so keep up the good work!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A very good first effort.

But do Chiltern Railways really own the IECC? If so, what happens when the franchise ends - I assume they are compelled to give it up to a future franchise owner? (I realise they have a long time left on the franchise...)

Metroland

Established Member
It's not an IECC, is just a glorified TOC control office, which has all the normal functions of a TOC control with an added focus on service delivery - Its just a load of portacabins really, which they do own.

Signalling control is at Marylebone, Banbury South, Banbury North, Leamington (has that been transfered to Saltley yet?) and Saltley, owned a run by NR. Despite the flashiness of Chilterns 'control centre', there are still chaps pulling levers controlling Ex-GWR semaphores outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.