• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bangor to Oxford off peak return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil from Mon

Does anyone know why I can't get an Off-peak return on January 5 before the 10.00 departure from Bangor? In the past I've never had a problem using the 0922 VT service, but this is only showing anytime fares now. There don't seem to be many off peak fares after this either, but trains back in the 7th don't seem to be a problem. Not a problem as I am going with work, but I'd be interested to know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
The restriction code for the offpeak return is 2V which means that you can't use trains on the outward or return journey timed to depart before 0930. Maybe the restriction used to be different.

But you would be able to use a Llandudno Junction to Oxford offpeak return on the train that leaves Bangor at 0922 and LLJ at 0939. You would then need singles at £7 each between Bangor/LLJ. This combination would be considerably cheaper than a Bangor-Oxford anytime return. You would just need to ensure that your return train stops at LLJ.

stanthedog

I am in exactly the same position. Virgin appear to have changed their prices and significantly increased their fares from North Wales. For years I've been using the 0514 midweek Bangor to Euston service and purchasing advance tickets for £41. From this coming Monday, 14 December, the early purchase advance ticket price is increasing to £110, an increase of 168%. All of their trains across North Wales until mid morning are subject to an increase in ticket prices. I'm complained to Virgin and they won't provide me with an explanation, it just appears that they have done this just because they can. I'm disappointed in their attitude as from what I see this is just robbing the innocent traveler who relies on these services. I'm left with no option other than to pay. I've attempted to raise this with my MP and the North Wales Daily Post as we rely upon these services in North Wales and we are being blackmailed by this new ticketing policy

Phil from Mon

Seems I could do Bangor to Birmingham using the 0922 as well, and they are still letting us use it for London. Yes, maybe a letter to the Post and to Albert Owen may be in order, at least I'll feel better even it it makes no difference

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Note: Flow has not recently changed see later posts.

That Bangor - Oxford fare is set by CrossCountry who at the latest fares round (which kicks in on January 2) changed a bunch of Off-Peak tickets to a different, more strict, restriction code preventing travel before 0930 on weekdays. So that's why you'll be noticing that Off-Peak tickets are now not available for the 0922.

They've done it to bring it in line with their other Off-Peak fares and they were all changed a couple of years ago to make things 'simpler' for passengers by making it clear when Off-Peak starts. The fact that it'll have forced less savvy passengers (for instance XC now want you to pay as much as £198 to travel before 0930 but by splitting this can be brought down to £87.90) to pay through the nose or travel later is by the by.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why I can't get an Off-peak return on January 5 before the 10.00 departure from Bangor? In the past I've never had a problem using the 0922 VT service, but this is only showing anytime fares now. There don't seem to be many off peak fares after this either, but trains back in the 7th don't seem to be a problem. Not a problem as I am going with work, but I'd be interested to know.

Looks like the problem here is that CrossCountry set the fare from Bangor to Oxford and have time restrictions in place, whereas ther are no restrictions on the fare to Birmingham which is set by Arriva Trains Wales. Unfortunately you then come up against CrossCountry pricing again from Birmingham to Oxford, but splitting still gives a considerable saving over the Anytime fare.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Ainsworth74. Probably even less point in complaining to my MP or the local paper then.

Personally I'd still go for it. It might not change anything but I think a light needs to be shone on silliness like this and XCs blanket 'all Off-Peak tickets are not valid until 0930' is an example of silliness that needs to be brought to wider attention.

If for no other reason than it might help more people become aware of legitimate ways of avoiding paying these ludicrous fares.

OwlMan

Established Member
hat Bangor - Oxford fare is set by CrossCountry who at the latest fares round (which kicks in on January 2) changed a bunch of Off-Peak tickets to a different, more strict, restriction code preventing travel before 0930 on weekdays. So that's why you'll be noticing that Off-Peak tickets are now not available for the 0922.

They've done it to bring it in line with their other Off-Peak fares and they were all changed a couple of years ago to make things 'simpler' for passengers by making it clear when Off-Peak starts. The fact that it'll have forced less savvy passengers (for instance XC now want you to pay as much as £198 to travel before 0930 but by splitting this can be brought down to £87.90) to pay through the nose or travel later is by the by. .

This flow has had restriction 2V for sometime and has not been just altered. I assume the OP did not realise that the restriction for Oxford was different than (for example) Birmingham & London

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This flow has had restriction 2V for sometime and has not been just altered. I assume the OP did not realise that the restriction for Oxford was different than (for example) Birmingham & London

Ah interesting! Presumably it was done in the first batch a few years ago. Thanks for the clarification :)

Phil from Mon

I didn't, but then I suspect that no normal-thinking member of the public would either, as it defies logic. People think of journeys in terms of a to b, not company a, company b and company c, with company c setting the fare despite only being responsible for a small proportion of the journey and not being used until well outside any conceivable peak period.

I will raise this more widely as, if nothing else, as Ainsworth74 says it may make more people aware of it, not least within my own organisation as we have a lot of travel to both Oxford and to Reading, which I assume (without having looked admittedly) is the same.

Btw I cannot be certain, but I am sure I would have used the 0922 for this journey last year and previously, as it reduces the number of changes and avoids the need to use ATW along the coast.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
A really simple solution, not even involving any splitting, would be to buy an Off-Peak Return from Bangor to London and just stop short in Oxford.

gray1404

Established Member
Does the OP need to break their journey though? And remember they do need to be advised of such at the time of sale :p

Phil from Mon

Does the OP need to break their journey though
I would if I was going to Oxford on the London ticket, but I won't be. Obvious thing is to buy Llandudno Jct to Oxford off peak, plus a Bangor to Llandudno Jct.

Interestingly if I was going to Reading (which I do reasonably often) I could now go via London on one ticket. In the past that way has always needed two.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Except that the restriction code on a Bangor to London off-peak return does not allow break of journey on the outward portion.
Oops yes you're right of course; I missed that. So ignore what I said; you can't stop short or break your journey at either Oxford or Reading on the Bangor to London ticket. If you went to London first though, you could break your journey at Reading or Oxford on the way back.

krus_aragon

Established Member
But you would be able to use a Llandudno Junction to Oxford offpeak return on the train that leaves Bangor at 0922 and LLJ at 0939. You would then need singles at £7 each between Bangor/LLJ. This combination would be considerably cheaper than a Bangor-Oxford anytime return. You would just need to ensure that your return train stops at LLJ.

I can't think of any services to/from Bangor that do not stop at Llandudno Junction. There are many that skip stops between the Junction and Chester, including a handful that do that leg non-stop, but everything calls at LLJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.