• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banking Engine at Shap narration - where is this originally from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Was listening to BBC Radio 1 this evening, and somewhat to my surprise, the following narration was featured in the classic essential mix:

“Let me explain what you’ve just heard.”

“A Banking Engine, one of the three that work Shap in busy times, went into position at the rear of a freight that had pulled in, waiting to steam up the great end of Shap. The banker signalled ready. The freight sounded his reply, and together they pushed and pulled the wagons up and over the summit”.

To me it sounds like it’s come straight out of Thomas the Tank Engine, although it can’t have been as Shap is in Cumbria, not Sodor (although they’re not a million miles apart). I’d therefore be intrigued to find out the original source of this narration, and how it has made its way onto a mixtape consisting of R&B and hip hop.

The essential mix which this is on can be found here, starting at 21:49:28

EDIT: The link doesn’t redirect to the essential mix, but I have included a screen recording of it here:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    2.9 MB
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Was listening to BBC Radio 1 this evening, and somewhat to my surprise, the following narration was featured in the classic essential mix:

“Let me explain what you’ve just heard.”

“A Banking Engine, one of the three that work Shap in busy times, went into position at the rear of a freight that had pulled in, waiting to steam up the great end of Shap. The banker signalled ready. The freight sounded his reply, and together they pushed and pulled the wagons up and over the summit”.

To me it sounds like it’s come straight out of Thomas the Tank Engine, although it can’t have been as Shap is in Cumbria, not Sodor (although they’re not a million miles apart). I’d therefore be intrigued to find out the original source of this narration, and how it has made its way onto a mixtape consisting of R&B and hip hop.

The essential mix which this is on can be found here, starting at 21:49:28

EDIT: The link doesn’t redirect to the essential mix, but I have included a screen recording of it here:

Sounds like the usual narrator heard on British Transport Films although I can't particularly remember one about Shap.

Status
Not open for further replies.