• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barbers in railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpbedford

Hi everyone,
When I was a child I remember that there were some larger stations with barbers working within them, i.e. on platforms, concourses, underpasses etc (as opposed to being sited next to the front entrance etc). I have found some shared memories of these on the LNER forum, but I wondered whether anyone was aware of stations which still have barbers working within them today? If there are a few it might make for a nice little tour.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

I had a few haircuts at Windsor and Eton Central years ago, not sure if they are still in business. They weren't very good TBH.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A reasonable haircut of course, why should being located at a station make any difference?
I don't know, it's a bit like motorway service facilities, isn't it - you have them there for convenience and that's about it. Nothing wrong with it, I just wouldn't have enormous expectations from it.

StarCrossing

Caterham has one in the station building, but you enter from the street without needing to go into the "operational" part of the station.

Gloster

Established Member
My recollection is that they were fairly common, at least in third-rail commuter land, in the shops adjacent to stations that the Southern built on its land. The shops were fairly small but this probably didn’t matter much as a one or two man barbershop would not need much floor space: a couple of basins along the wall, a couple of adjustable chairs, a bench to sit on while you waited, a table for a copy of the Evening News or Standard according to choice and a hat stand. The back would probably only be a small toilet and washbasin, and a storeroom with odd smocks, spares, boxes of lotions and ‘something for the weekend’, plus a small kettle shoved on a shelf.

Roger1973

I seem to remember from childhood travels with my late father that at least some of the London terminus stations had a barber shop operating in part of the gents' facility or next to it. (I can't comment on whether there was anything similar in the ladies'.)

For obvious reasons, this would not have been a much photographed part of station infrastructure. The best I have come up with on a quick search is this photo on Flickr which says it's Waterloo Station Barbers Shop.

Don't know whether they were operated as a concession or whether the barber/s were employed by the railways.

I guess there's a fine line between something on railway facilities and a retail unit within the station building. As for Windsor and Eton Central, that's now more or less a retail site with a small railway platform in one corner...

Gloster

Established Member
I think that a year or two ago there was a video of a 1980s (?) TV programme of Waterloo station that was put up as part of a thread on this forum: this (I think) included a look at the barber’s. I can’t remember the thread’s subject.

MotCO

Established Member
Presumably, having a barbers inside the station only makes sense where either there is a frequent service so you can catch the next train, or where the gaps between connecting services are so great that to while away the time you might as well have a hair cut!

aleandrail

was one at Piccadilly years back, down some stairs on the way to the toilets. I think he was there for a long while and I guess he would of been good at the Job. Not sure of the connection with the motorway services ? but i wonder if they have them there

By Piccadilly i mean Manchester

Hammersmith metropolitan used to have a barbers that my father frequented. It was still the metropolitan in those days.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I think that a year or two ago there was a video of a 1980s (?) TV programme of Waterloo station that was put up as part of a thread on this forum: this (I think) included a look at the barber’s. I can’t remember the thread’s subject.
This one?

LRV3004

was one at Piccadilly years back, down some stairs on the way to the toilets. I think he was there for a long while and I guess he would of been good at the Job. Not sure of the connection with the motorway services ? but i wonder if they have them there

By Piccadilly i mean Manchester
Was just scanning through the comments to see if the one at Manchester Piccadilly had already been mentioned; I was going to post about it! Yes, I remember that one also - went with the rebuild and remodelling I think/assume.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Was just scanning through the comments to see if the one at Manchester Piccadilly had already been mentioned; I was going to post about it! Yes, I remember that one also - went with the rebuild and remodelling I think/assume.
That was my regular barbers when I worked in what was then Rail House (just across the car park). I often wondered if any potential customers were put off by the location on the half landing (well actually more than half way down) on the stairs down to the gents.

I also recall once using the barber at Waterloo when passing through the station.

randyrippley

Established Member
In the 1960-70s the barbers at Waterloo was accessed via the downstairs gent's loo, with large windows overlooking the urinals.
Not a place to take the wife
Very Victorian demeanour and setting with walls decoratively glaze-tiled, and the barbers in waistcoats and stiff collars

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
That takes me back to when I was a kid. I remember Paddington having one but think Liverpool Street might have had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.