• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barbican station (National Rail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboFintan

Looking at the national timetable (Dec 2007) when the Moorgate branch or Widened lines was in operation, I noticed a peculiarity: all passenger trains towards Moorgate called at Barbican station but this was not the case for the opposite direction as according to the timetable, first stop for ex-Moorgate trains was Farringdon. I assume it was like this until closure in 2009, so why was this the case and when did northbound trains cease calling there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
My 1989 timetable shows northbound trains calling at Barbican.

transmanche

Established Member

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I worked on the start of the original Midland Suburban Electrification (MSE) project (later more commonly known as 'Bed-Pan') in the late 1970s. This originally took most of the suburban service into Moorgate until Thameslink came along. We always knew that the platform at Barbican was going to be too short for 2x4-car Class 317s and could not feasibly be extended.
Restricted door opening was always in the plan. Given that the units had corridors and Barbican was not a particularly busy station (with no significant interchange potential) it seemed to be bearable.

Last edited:

bionic

Used to see 8 car 319s at Barbican on the up with a coach out the back unless I'm very much mistaken. Right up until closure. Don't think 319s had end door cut out so presumably they just trusted people in the rear coach not to be silly?

Veteran Member
Used to see 8 car 319s at Barbican on the up with a coach out the back unless I'm very much mistaken. Right up until closure. Don't think 319s had end door cut out so presumably they just trusted people in the rear coach not to be silly?
ISTR Barbican was pick up only?

Journeyman

Established Member
Short and also relatively narrow? Probably concerned there just wasn’t enough waiting space at all. Weren’t the access stairs fairly small as well?

That's it. The access was particularly constrained and the platform was VERY narrow - it wouldn't take much of a crowd to make it unsafe, and as usage went through the roof from the late eighties onwards, it must have made people panic.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's it. The access was particularly constrained and the platform was VERY narrow - it wouldn't take much of a crowd to make it unsafe, and as usage went through the roof from the late eighties onwards, it must have made people panic.
I wonder if trains were also departing Moorgate completely full, because people who had a choice would probably try and get on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.