• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barcelona by train via Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Another option to avoid a hotel altogether (and a scenic route) could be to travel on the sleeper train from Paris Austerlitz to Latour de Carol in the Pyrenees then local train to Barcelona from there. Think seat61.com has the details for this.

I did this last year and wholeheartedly recommend it, the run over the Pyrenees was breathtaking!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gadget88

I flew when I went there but if I go back I’d maybe consider train however journey time still says over 6 hours I thought it was reduced to 5.5 hours now?

TBY-Paul

I flew when I went there but if I go back I’d maybe consider train however journey time still says over 6 hours I thought it was reduced to 5.5 hours now?
The new Nimes-Montpellier LGV is not due to have passenger trains using it till early July 2018 (July 7th?). I would expect the new timings won't be published just yet.

coupwotcoup

I posed the question to the always helpful guys at ERT and was given this response.

Hi, As far as we know the Nimes by-pass line will be used by a limited number of passenger trains from July 8,
details of which will be shown in Table 355 of the upcoming Summer edition. They will serve the new
Montpellier Sud de France station. The direct TGV trains between France and Spain will continue to be routed
via Nimes and Montpellier St Roch station, probably until the December timetable change.
However, things can change at short notice so definitely worth keeping an eye on.

I was hoping that the new link would be up and running for international services by the
time I go in September but will wait and see what happens when the bookings open for my
return in mid-October.

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
If you have your dates set in stone, just use booking.com (for example) and put 'Gare du Nord' in for the night you want to stay there. There are numerous budget hotels in the vicinity of Nord and Est stations - I have stayed in the Bristol (opposite Nord), Hotel Est (about 10 min walk), Hotel Midnight (4 min walk) and a couple of the Accor ones, all at reasonable prices and I would stay at any of them again. The independent hotels in the area are generally nothing flash, but serve their purpose for one night - the rating on booking.com for each of them is a good guide.

Gadget88

Yes im not going for a while yet just wondering when the faster trains will come as I don't fancy the 6 hour journey?

Veteran Member
Yes im not going for a while yet just wondering when the faster trains will come as I don't fancy the 6 hour journey?
The line just opened won't make a big difference, at a guess 20min.
I think the French govt has "unpaused" the Montpellier-Perpignan section, but that will be a few years yet.

Gadget88

The line just opened won't make a big difference, at a guess 20min.
I think the French govt has "unpaused" the Montpellier-Perpignan section, but that will be a few years yet.

So it won’t be ready for a while that’s a shame I can reach Turin in Italy in less time than current Barcelona times.

Gadget88

No updates on quicker journey times yet been a while since I last checked still showing 6 hours ?

Gadget88

It’s been almost 2 years since I posted this and was told journey times would reduce to 5 and a half hours when isn’t this happening? I won’t be doing the journey until times are reduced. Also what’s the latest on Paris to Milan in 4 hours?

eddp

My understanding is that these trains won't use the new line until the new Nimes station opens, which is due (as far as I know) to happen later on this year, therefore I would imagine that from the timetable change on 15 December the trains will be rerouted - but this is just supposition and I haven't found any sources to back this up. SNCF don't have timetables for the 15th December on their site yet. The time saving will probably be more modest though, for 5h30 you're probably looking at waiting until the Montpellier to Perpignan LGV opens which won't be for a while yet...

Alfonso

It’s been almost 2 years since I posted this and was told journey times would reduce to 5 and a half hours when isn’t this happening? I won’t be doing the journey until times are reduced. Also what’s the latest on Paris to Milan in 4 hours?
Paris to Milan due 2029-ish if everything happens on time ,which is very unlikely particularly in view of the significant opposition to the Lyon -turin high speed line

coupwotcoup

Have spent many a year travelling said route before and after the new line was built.

Never could get my head around as to why the French/Spanish couldn't liaise and get
a decent cross border service, with sensible connections....until now!

Just noticed recently that there is new a shuttle service between Cerbere/Portbou and
in the main, connectivity rules.

A bit late now as presumably only workers and those doing the Perpignan-Cerbere route
for aesthetic purposes benefitting from the change of thinking.

Gadget88

Any updates on the quicker trains between Paris and Barcelona still shows over 6 hours?

Veteran Member
Any updates on the quicker trains between Paris and Barcelona still shows over 6 hours?
As far as I can see the services continue to run via Montpellier St Roch. Looking at the SNCF site, the handful of Paris-Montpellier trains serving the new line are about 15 minutes faster. There will be no significant speed-up until the Montpellier-Perpignan line is built sometime this century :(
I doubt the through market is particularly time-sensitive anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.